Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   personal data storage (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=198817)

HaNzI 2 Aug 2010 14:10

personal data storage

Signup Errors
  • - You must agree to the personal data storage in order to play.

No! I dont see myself randomly scanning this round, if it means i have to agree with something i fundamentally disapprove of. Im sure its just for storing info for their game, but what i actually agree on by clicking this button, is that they can do whatever they want with my information.

Gabriel 2 Aug 2010 16:20

Re: personal data storage

http://www.jagex.com/privacy/privacy.ws
it all seems very standard to me
AFAIK all that relates to is giving permission for you data to be transferred if the server migrates.

HeimdallR 2 Aug 2010 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaNzI (Post 3197007)
Signup Errors
  • - You must agree to the personal data storage in order to play.

No! I dont see myself randomly scanning this round, if it means i have to agree with something i fundamentally disapprove of. Im sure its just for storing info for their game, but what i actually agree on by clicking this button, is that they can do whatever they want with my information.

weren't you retiring ?

isildurx 2 Aug 2010 17:18

Haha, knew he would be back before round started.

JonnyBGood 2 Aug 2010 17:55

Maybe this can make hanzi quit!

HaNzI 2 Aug 2010 18:14

!!!!!!

I still own #scans on irc and i will scan there and for Apprime when im around. The channel will sometime this round be transferred to Mpulse, whenever he own less channels! :p

Retiring doesnt really keep me from occasionally reading forums and come online to see how Apprime is doing.

JonnyBGood 2 Aug 2010 18:22

It doesn't seem to decrease your activity in any noticeable way whatsoever to be honest...

Mzyxptlk 2 Aug 2010 18:49

It's your choice. Play or don't play.

Appocomaster 3 Aug 2010 07:40

From the portal:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Me
The last section is to do with the server migration that may happen this round. If it does, we will have to move all the data to the new server in the USA. We will warn you when this happens in-game. Your data will not suddenly be released and will be stored in the same way it has been for the previous 20+ rounds; however, as we're moving your data around, we have to let you know and make sure you agree with this.

(to be honest, some members of the PA Team are pretty hot on this sort of stuff. even if you're on the mailing list, you've only been e-mailed about 3 times in the last 5 years. so... :p)

Tietäjä 3 Aug 2010 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster (Post 3197073)
(to be honest, some members of the PA Team are pretty hot on this sort of stuff. even if you're on the mailing list, you've only been e-mailed about 3 times in the last 5 years. so... :p)

Given how strictly the multihunting team enforces the sign up details, you do have a genuine personal information database to attend to so it's pretty reasonable to nail down the policy properly.

Light 4 Aug 2010 19:18

This account has been closed by the game admins.

Yup, they're pretty strict :p

http://pastebin.com/ReYsHwJJ

Tietäjä 4 Aug 2010 20:01

Light person you just wouldn't believe how long a mess I went through with Fiery and Spunkfire over my "real" details one round. Eventually, they did compromise and allowed me to use the last name Kekkonen. I don't really know when this became such a massive trend, I mean, I've registered accounts for other people and other people have registered accounts for me in the past and at some point (I reckon it has to do with Ace and Spunkfire) things just became obnoxious with this.

It's quite retarded since they have no actual way of verifying your personality, and until they start threatening you with some federal database, it's just a misfire. It's good to hear the multihunters are still focusing on important tasks though.

Ace 4 Aug 2010 20:09

Please tell me where sprit or me threatend you with a federal database ?
I think you are mixing up ppl here m8.

Tietäjä 4 Aug 2010 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace (Post 3197204)
Please tell me where sprit or me threatend you with a federal database ?

No that was fiery.

Amusing enough I wouldn't be in such a database to begin with since I'm Finnish.

(ps. but it's still quite hilarious for a planetarion freebie planet. hopefully you go through this all with potential new customers too!)

JonnyBGood 4 Aug 2010 23:53

Someone needs to stop the multihunters from pretending that they need to deal with this stuff. Find something useful to ****ing do for the love of god.

Reincarnate 5 Aug 2010 00:00

i do find it extremely bizarre that PA need this information for people to play the game. what possible reason do they need someones personal information for?

Cowch 5 Aug 2010 00:08

I once got some crap from multi-hunters about my real name. I actually put it in correctly because I don't care, but somehow it got jacked up in their database and they got all fussy about it. The real question, though, is why does it matter to PA if my name is Ben B or Makon Philadingdong?

Reincarnate 5 Aug 2010 00:13

i dont not have a problem with multi-hunters enforcing this rule. it is their job to enforce the rules of the game.

i have a problem with whoeva decided that this should be a rule for playing PA.

Mzyxptlk 5 Aug 2010 00:39

They can't enforce this rule because they don't know what my name is.

P.S. Congratulations Mrs. Katie Katie!

ricoshay 5 Aug 2010 04:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3197252)
They can't enforce this rule because they don't know what my name is.

Indeed. I always signup with the same data and I'll be smurfed if I'll ever allow access to my real name to the kind of people that are voiced/opped in #multihunters.

Pug 5 Aug 2010 05:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 3197194)
This account has been closed by the game admins.

Yup, they're pretty strict :p

http://pastebin.com/ReYsHwJJ

That log is ridiculous. There's someone who works in the same company as me and his idiotic parents named him Marty. His surname is Martin.

Clearly what Light has pasted could of happened and for it to be written off as a joke straight away is stupid.

I've always signed up as Pug ConDoin (from Raymond E. Fiest's books) and only got caught up because I reported a farm that landed in my pub gal a couple of rounds back. Just goes to show, there's no way to verify the information you provide.

Tietäjä 5 Aug 2010 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood (Post 3197242)
Someone needs to stop the multihunters from pretending that they need to deal with this stuff. Find something useful to ****ing do for the love of god.

Isn't it quite blatantly obvious that this isn't the first time the subject is being brought up no? How on earth did you plan on making any sense with these people? The problem is, if they had, themselves, come down with the idea that this is just outright ridiculous, they'd probably stopped doing it. But since it's an idea presented to them by other people, they'll automatically settle for the Ace-Skunkfire -type of a defensive stance where they'll stubbornly defend these actions "because", and due to NDA, "can't tell you why".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowch
The real question, though, is why does it matter to PA if my name is Ben B or Makon Philadingdong?

Back in 1978 before the collapse of the Soviet Union there were a bunch of Lithua... Soviet people that did some very naughty things with credit cards. Naughty, naughty.

Mzyxptlk 5 Aug 2010 07:29

Paypal solves that, though.

Tietäjä 5 Aug 2010 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3197263)
Paypal solves that, though.

We can't talk about this due to NDA. Sorry. You're wrong. Move along or I'll ban you for misbehaving.

Cooling 5 Aug 2010 07:50

Honestly you lot must be mentally ill. I've signed up under a false identity using false details in every round I've ever played.

So long as you don't put in something ridiculous like LORD MUNTER; 123 Street, ****LAND, the multihunters won't know the difference.

Tietäjä 5 Aug 2010 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooling (Post 3197267)
I've signed up under a false identity using false details in every round I've ever played.

Doesn't this just further emphasize the vanity of whining to select people over their sign up details?

Wishmaster 5 Aug 2010 08:39

Am I the only one retarded enough to give out my real info then? :(

I spose when you have done it once, its too late to stop? As they will have the info I ve provided since forever.

Think the point is / was to prevent people from creating several accounts and then stop playing with all cept the one who "hit" a good gal. I dunno!

Light 5 Aug 2010 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishmaster (Post 3197271)

I spose when you have done it once, its too late to stop? As they will have the info I ve provided since forever.

Think the point is / was to prevent people from creating several accounts and then stop playing with all cept the one who "hit" a good gal. I dunno!

Isnt that based on IP? :)

Tietäjä 5 Aug 2010 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 3197272)

Judging by the amount of people's close relatives/family pets that have played scanner planets over the rounds, is this conversation actually serious?

Wishmaster 5 Aug 2010 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 3197272)

doubt it. created accounts from shitloads of ips over the years, and played them from more :(
might be based on ingame nick or mail. I DONT KNOW!

Knight Theamion 5 Aug 2010 13:19

Congratulations Katie Katie!

Planning a vacation soon? Don't vacmode!

Zotnam 5 Aug 2010 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishmaster (Post 3197276)
doubt it. created accounts from shitloads of ips over the years, and played them from more :(
might be based on ingame nick or mail. I DONT KNOW!

I would find an account that has only been logged in from one IP a lot more suspicious than one with 5-10. The thing is, most people with wierd names aren't really lieing about them. Those that want to lie, use common names and are not looked at twice. So really you just end up with the whole thing being a joke

Psi_K 5 Aug 2010 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishmaster (Post 3197271)

Nah I do. And have since the start.
BUT, I can never remember which first name I put in (I have two, semi-legally(my Initials are in brackets on my birth certificate)).
Yet to be closed because of it though.
Maybe I'll alternate enough eventually they may notice ... nah who am I kidding :salute:

Heartless 5 Aug 2010 18:43

If I remember correctly this was mainly to have a weapon that could be used to close someone eventually who was presumed to play multiple accounts. Back in the old days people did not really come up with decent alternate names, and there were quite some players going around creating a dozen random planets or so to see where they end up.

Spinner 25 Aug 2010 14:24

There is really no need for using real names and details in games like this, except when payments are taken into consideration. If you wish to use a credit-card anywhere online, you will have to give out your name, no way around that. True, some countries do not have name-checks, but some do.
But I have to admit I am sick and tired of the whole "i-wont-tell-you-my-name" some people seem to cling to. As much as I respect others privacy, they must also respect that sometimes some kind of identitification is required. Sometimes people break laws through the net and they should be caught. Anonymity has its price and it is usually always paid by others than the anonymous...

Korsan 27 Aug 2010 02:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinner (Post 3197894)
There is really no need for using real names and details in games like this, except when payments are taken into consideration. If you wish to use a credit-card anywhere online, you will have to give out your name, no way around that. True, some countries do not have name-checks, but some do.
But I have to admit I am sick and tired of the whole "i-wont-tell-you-my-name" some people seem to cling to. As much as I respect others privacy, they must also respect that sometimes some kind of identitification is required. Sometimes people break laws through the net and they should be caught. Anonymity has its price and it is usually always paid by others than the anonymous...

So why is it important to reveal my real name for planetarion or any other upcomming browsergame?
I don't think that you guys need to know my name as I don't get mails (not emails) or any rewards being sent for finishing t200 to my home address. so why do you need those details?

@Light
I laughed so hard about your conversation with Spritfire! Congratulations on that one!

P.S. I don't use my real name as well.

Korsan 27 Aug 2010 05:00

Guess what.. I really got a warning from multihunters for this post.

Man you must be really bored.

I tell you something you freaks:
I refuse to give out my ID to policemen if not really avoidable. So WHO THE HELL do you think you are that you can claim my details? Do you send me any prize if I win this game? Do you ever want to visit my home?

I just laugh at this incredible load of crap. I am too bored to show up on your temple for now. I will do so whenever I feel like it and you'll never know if I leave my real details to you.

Kjeldoran 27 Aug 2010 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korsan (Post 3197961)
So why is it important to reveal my real name for planetarion or any other upcomming browsergame?
I don't think that you guys need to know my name as I don't get mails (not emails) or any rewards being sent for finishing t200 to my home address. so why do you need those details?

Lol, so how are you going to pay for a game in which they need to verify your identity? That goes for all paying methodes on the internet. Incase you fraude your payment in any way, they need to be able to identify you so they can report you to the correct instances.

ellonweb 27 Aug 2010 18:46

If we don't upgrade, we shouldn't need to provide the details. When we upgrade, then of course it makes sense to get the necessary details that you'd provide when paying for anything over the internet.

Ramihyn 27 Aug 2010 20:57

The argument that you "need to supply your real identity, for prosecution in case you commit fraud" is more then a bit ... hilarious.

and for the umpteenth time ... there (usually) is NO anonymity on the internet, there is _pseudonymity_. The need to reveal my true identity, is a matter for the police in case i actually would do something like CC fraud on the internet and definately not necessary for company XYZ who will lose that data due to the next incompetent web-admin who hasnt heard about sql-injection, transaction locking, race conditions, cross-site scripting attacks, php exploits and many more.

Since a certain "big" company started to do "real personal verification" of signup data, the amount of elvis presleys playing their game, has skyrocketed. Because many personal ID's of people are ready for use on the web. So whats the point?

I never use(d) my real personal info either.