Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Personal Territory (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=195926)

dda 4 Jan 2008 20:36

Personal Territory

A number of years ago, I heard of a study which was done.

God knows who funded this study or why they thought it necessary but they dediced to see how long it took people in shopping centers from the time they got to their car in the parking lot after leaving the shopping center to actually pull out of their parking space.

A phenomenon that they became aware of was that people took considerably longer to leave a parking spot if their was another car ready to take that spot when they left.

They found that the time almost doubled if another shopper was waiting on the spot. They weren't sure why this happened but felt it might have something to do with a primal territoriality in many humans.

Do you notice any such tendencies in yourself or others?

People seem to be very territorial in office settings.

Phil^ 4 Jan 2008 20:37

Re: Personal Territory

perhaps they took longer to drive off because that waiting car was in the way - so they had to reverse out slowly and carefully?

All Systems Go 4 Jan 2008 23:03

It could potentially have something to do with the 'have I forgotten something?' phenomenon. If you leave too soon and have to go back, your space is taken and you know you're ****ed.

Dead_Meat 5 Jan 2008 04:35

I know I take longer to pull out of my space at parking lots, when somone is waiting, as it usually took me a ****ING HOUR TO FIND THE SPACE AND I AIN'T JUST GIVING IT UP TO SOME JOHNNY COME LIGHTLY PASSER-BY GODDAMMNIT.

djbass 5 Jan 2008 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil^
perhaps they took longer to drive off because that waiting car was in the way - so they had to reverse out slowly and carefully?

I can empathise with that one. I was in a situation not that long ago where I was attempting to vacate a carspace when a lady driver keen on poaching it manouvered in such a way that I could not easily get out. Much time was spent by myself in trying to signal for her to get out of my way which she either ignored or simply did not care, only too happy to hold up other traffic behind her. For the sake of humanity I gave up attempting to communicate with the simpleton and got out through persistance. In restrospect I now wish I had reparked my car and walked off.

On topic though, people who wait for car spaces are a pet peeve of mine because they often do so without consideration for others. I wouldn't mind if it were a quick transaction, but most of the time they will sit for as long as they have too quite aware they are holding up about 15 cars behind them. The extra stupid ones are those who start the waiting game when they can see the current occupiers have a pile of shopping to load.

I am far more considerate and will simply find somewhere else to park. It baffles me for instance that people will drive in circles and fight for spaces on the ground level of a shopping complex when the next level above is practically empty.

dda 8 Jan 2008 01:07

What I like are the folks that spot someone leaving a store and dog them to their car so that they can get the parking space.

And is also true that there are a lot of people who will drive round and round in order to save themselves from having to walk an extra 50'.

Achilles 8 Jan 2008 02:13

Damn right!

Hebdomad 8 Jan 2008 02:39

Amen,

brother.

Dante Hicks 9 Jan 2008 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda
They found that the time almost doubled if another shopper was waiting on the spot. They weren't sure why this happened but felt it might have something to do with a primal territoriality in many humans.

To echo some of the sentiments in this thread :
I consider myself an adequate typist. I have used a QWERTY keyboard since the age of five or six, and while I am certainly not a professional typist, I can achieve a reasonable speed/accuracy rate most of the time. But if someone stands over me, I can barely type at all. My accuracy rate plunges dramatically, and I lose all track of what I am doing. If constructing a database query (a common part of my job) I will mistype SELECT or even FROM four or five times within a short statement.

The cause of this does not seem to be distraction but rather excess concentration. Maybe a different part of my brain takes over, but either way, I spaz it up. And so to avoid errors I have to slow right down, as in a quarter or a fifth of my average speed.

I have never driven a car but it seems possible that people would tend to drive more deliberately if they thought they were being watched (by a stranger) or in an usual fashion.

That could all be bollocks though.

furball 10 Jan 2008 00:41

Nope, it's absolutely right. I'm exactly the same with typing.

When it comes to driving, as soon as I have a passenger in the car I'm grinding gears, jerking the car with the clutch, almost stalling it at traffic lights....you get the gist. Quite a departure from the norm, in case anyone feels like being funny.

Achilles 10 Jan 2008 01:02

Do you guys also suffer from performance anxiety in the bedroom? The people have a right to know.

KaosTrigX 10 Jan 2008 02:44

I'm territorial as hell. I think it's nature to most things to protect what is yours and it's my nature to crush those who violate their boundaries, be it verbally or physically. Anyone who doesn't share a similar view, I would consider weak and cowardly. Pride also makes me want to conquer others, if only to prove who's more worthy, so to say. But as I said it's natural human instinct and those who don't feel it are too weak to uphold their will amongst others.

JonnyBGood 10 Jan 2008 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by horn
some very good points. i'm pretty similar...

if someone steps to me on intelligent debate i will literally put them the **** to the ground. am i wrong to do this? only if you are more interested in political correctness over hmmm.. REALITY!?
i am physically and mentally ready to challenge anyone anywhere if they step to me. if my kid turns out to be a faggot i will probably kill him, i actually am not racist but tbh i seriously disagree with the current immigration as this is my countrys territory... you disagree? tough, ****in deal with it!! i do not give A SHIT if i offend you i am independent and i do not conform for ANYONE pls do not step to me unless you want to be humiliated in DEFEAT.

A set of opinions best summed up lyrically.

KaosTrigX 10 Jan 2008 03:48

That's why the glory will be mine and not yours. I train my body and my mind to be as I want them to be. I've earned my scholarly and warrior stripes alike. If you can't become better then you will be left behind, and those who obstruct my will may well feel my wrath. There is no god. There is pain and pleasure; love and hate; adoration and descrimination. Which will be your path? :)

JonnyBGood 10 Jan 2008 03:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaosTrigX
Which will be your path? :)

If you're going this way
------------------->

I'll be going this way
<-------------------

At an extraordinarily high speed.

KaosTrigX 10 Jan 2008 04:05

I think I scared away all the little ones. :\

Yahwe 10 Jan 2008 04:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by horn
next week when down at the local gym

I sincerely doubt that he can afford a gym

KaosTrigX 10 Jan 2008 05:29

I have a bench and free-weights. The only good gyms are MMA gyms and the only one here is some lame fake version of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

Hebdomad 10 Jan 2008 06:43

Guy, guys... I realise this may be too late, but this thread is 400% funnier with this http://www.thesixtyone.com/ElectricS...tion_item/560/ playing.

Hebdomad 10 Jan 2008 07:03

And shit, paging silversmoke to thread #3136003

Mzyxptlk 10 Jan 2008 10:59

Quote:

I'm territorial as hell. I think it's nature to most things to protect what is yours and it's my nature to crush those who violate their boundaries, be it verbally or physically. Anyone who doesn't share a similar view, I would consider weak and cowardly. Pride also makes me want to conquer others, if only to prove who's more worthy, so to say. But as I said it's natural human instinct and those who don't feel it are too weak to uphold their will amongst others.

This guy will fit right in.

Marilyn Manson 10 Jan 2008 13:03

Quote:

I'm territorial as hell.

You make yourself sound like a water hippo.

All Systems Go 10 Jan 2008 13:21

Quote:

If this is true, why do you only have 55 posts in 5 years?

Tomkat 10 Jan 2008 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hebdomad
And shit, paging silversmoke to thread #3136003

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=3136003 ??? :(

Marilyn Manson 10 Jan 2008 14:55

Mabye #3136003 is really Weeks' bank account and he's doing a Clarkson on us?

KaosTrigX 10 Jan 2008 15:23

I like fire...drugs and fire.

You Are Gay 10 Jan 2008 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achilles
Do you guys also suffer from performance anxiety in the bedroom? The people have a right to know.

I realise the debate has moved on somewhat but ...

Furball never has performance aniexity in the bedroom. He ALWAYS manages to get to sleep at night.

Game^ 10 Jan 2008 15:46

Quote:

That's why the glory will be mine and not yours.

Glory?

I don't ever remember you coming 2nd in planetarion TWICE! The glory is all mine!

Quote:

I train my body and my mind to be as I want them to be. I've earned my scholarly and warrior stripes alike.
I can't understand why you WANT to fail as a human being :(

Quote:

If you can't become better then you will be left behind, and those who obstruct my will may well feel my wrath. There is no god. There is pain and pleasure; love and hate; adoration and descrimination. Which will be your path? :)
Clearly not the same as yours, I'd be scared of you beating me up :(

Marilyn Manson 11 Jan 2008 14:13

Quote:

I like fire...

Teach me it's secrets, man-cub.

Demon Dave 12 Jan 2008 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Teach me it's secrets, man-cub.

And I thought they called you the "King of the Swingers" due to your sexual deviancy

Marilyn Manson 14 Jan 2008 17:56

It's not deviancy if everyone else in the room is doing it.

jerome 14 Jan 2008 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Game^
Glory?

I don't ever remember you coming 2nd in planetarion TWICE! The glory is all mine!

I can't understand why you WANT to fail as a human being :(

Clearly not the same as yours, I'd be scared of you beating me up :(

you only came second once man. fourth the other time.