Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Programming and Discussion (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   scheduled shutdown of XP (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=154174)

Seed of Chaos 22 Nov 2002 14:30

scheduled shutdown of XP

Can anyone tell me how to schedule a proper shutdown of my computer, which has and XP OS?

The start > turn off computer > turn off way works fine, but if I do it using the "shutdown -s" command, with which I can schedule a shut down of my computer after a certain length of time, it gets to this stage where monitor displays "it is now safe to shut down windows" which I haven't seen since the days of windows 95, and the fan of the computer just carries on whirrling away.

Is there anyway I can schedule a complete shutdown of my computer, so I can, say, make it play music for a couple of hours when I'm in bed then automatically shuts down after I'm asleep?

Deathjam 22 Nov 2002 15:46

its easy to do a "scheduled shutdown of XP" just set ur alarm for when u want it to turn off, go to ur computer and hit it with a big hammer

Azaghal 22 Nov 2002 15:52

Re: scheduled shutdown of XP

Quote:

Originally posted by Seed of Chaos
bla
I don't know if it can be done from inside XP, but I do know there is an app around named 'autoshutdown', which does the trick.

Ragnarak 22 Nov 2002 16:05

does scheduled tasks not work?

Timmeh 22 Nov 2002 17:25

You could of course just write a small script that executed "rundll32.dll /shutdown" or whatever the command is and then set scheduled tasks to run it at a specific time.

Alternatively, as a small extension to this, you could do it all in VB and create an 'alarm clock' style program which will allow you to set a time and date which your PC will shut down at.

Flavius 22 Nov 2002 22:26

Quote:

Originally posted by clarencetheclockworkcake
not possile with xp.

i had the same problem,and i will check when i get home.
google is your friend,unless your lazy. then you have non.

it is possible with xp

i have 3 programs that do it

im just lazy to email it to him..

or .. u could try the software board at SA, they have a huge list of apps for when u format ur pc, and a link has a small app to it..

clarencetheclockworkcake 22 Nov 2002 23:39

what i meant to say was its not possible to do it with sceduled tasks. my bad.

how kind am i?

scroll down to poweroff 3,0,0,15 and get.
does work with xp,and can be used for the purpose you want.

meglamaniac 22 Nov 2002 23:47

Fkssake - why does NOBODY ever read the manual?
There is a shutdown command (a-la linux but different syntax) in XP you know.

Add this to scheduled tasks and set for the relevant time:
shutdown -s -f -t 30 -c "Scheduled shutdown. Run 'shutdown -a' to abort."

explanation:
shutdown: take a guess
-s: execute a shutdown
-f: kill any applications without warning
-t 30: display warning dialog for 30 seconds before shutdown
-c <message>: not too hard to work out i hope

The things I do for you lot...

:rolleyes:

JetLinus 23 Nov 2002 02:16

Quote:

The start > turn off computer > turn off way works fine, but if I do it using the "shutdown -s" command, with which I can schedule a shut down of my computer after a certain length of time, it gets to this stage where monitor displays "it is now safe to shut down windows" which I haven't seen since the days of windows 95, and the fan of the computer just carries on whirrling away.
Quote:

Originally posted by meglamaniac
Fkssake - why does NOBODY ever read the manual?
There is a shutdown command (a-la linux but different syntax) in XP you know.

Add this to scheduled tasks and set for the relevant time:
shutdown -s -f -t 30 -c "Scheduled shutdown. Run 'shutdown -a' to abort."

apparently he tried that

meglamaniac 23 Nov 2002 02:23

using -f fixed that on mine for some bizzare reason.

:)

Seed of Chaos 23 Nov 2002 14:02

doesn't killing all applications without warning cause system instability or something?

Cocaine 23 Nov 2002 14:58

Quote:

doesn't killing all applications without warning cause system instability or something?
if the machine has been shutdown, how can it be unstable ? :P

Seed of Chaos 23 Nov 2002 15:04

it'll be unstable the next time I log on?

Androme 23 Nov 2002 15:27

Target: C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f -m \\mypc -t 0 -c shutdown

Replace the 0 with whatever no. (mins) - well this is what I use with Alt + Ctrl + End (:

meglamaniac 23 Nov 2002 15:30

no - there's a difference between processes being 'killed' by the OS and you just turning the machine off.
When a process is killed, it is unloaded as fast possible but in a safe way - so if word was open, handles to any open files you had would be released, and THEN word would be closed. This does not, of course, save your work which is why you have to be careful with -f.
If you just turn the machine off, open file handles, registry connections, OBDC/COM links and all that lot are never terminated properly and you risk corrupting something.

Having said that, it's has never happened to me - I've turned this thing straight off in frustration before, and everything's ok still.
XP + NTFS = quite a resiliant combination.

Structural Integrity 23 Nov 2002 15:32

Ehj, I have a problem with the shutdown of my win2k server too :p
My win9x turns off the power itself but my win2k stops at the screen "it's now safe to turn of your computer". How can I make it turn off the power itself?

Gayle29uk 23 Nov 2002 17:25

Make sure you have power management set to ACPI. Not sure if that's your problem but it worked for me when XP wouldn't power down :)

Seed of Chaos 24 Nov 2002 14:10

the -f command did nothing for me :(

How do I get to the power management bit?

meglamaniac 24 Nov 2002 14:21

If you have ACPI enabled you'll probably be able to suspend your system etc.
If it's not, you need to look about in the BIOS to enable it.

Seed of Chaos 24 Nov 2002 14:44

and how do I get to the bios part?

Androme 24 Nov 2002 17:28

Quote:

and how do I get to the bios part?
as soon as you power on your system, keep pressing the "Del" key every second until it appears (most systems it's AMIBIOS but you can have Phoenix and others)

Structural Integrity 24 Nov 2002 17:35

Quote:

Originally posted by Androme

as soon as you power on your system, keep pressing the "Del" key every second until it appears (most systems it's AMIBIOS but you can have Phoenix and others)

on my old P2 you had to press the F2 button.... It took me quite a while to figure that out because the BIOS data, usually show on startup, which includes the key you should press to get into the BIOS was replaced by an Intel Logo.
Stupid Intel MoBo's....

Seed of Chaos 25 Nov 2002 15:28

wohoo! The program worked. Thanks clarencetheclockworkorange:)