Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I'm SO moving to Scotland (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=194753)

Smudge 20 Jun 2007 17:00

I'm SO moving to Scotland

Free Prescriptions
Free Dental care
Class sizes under 18 in primary schools

Scotland > *

All Systems Go 20 Jun 2007 17:04

Re: I'm SO moving to Scotland

But you'd be living in Scotland. :(

Marv 20 Jun 2007 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smudge
Free Prescriptions
Free Dental care

Scotland > *

The dark side of the force has many temptations.

isildurx 20 Jun 2007 17:12

Why would you need dental care, its well known no scottish man with any selfrespect has any teeth.

Allfather 20 Jun 2007 17:27

Scotland is a pritteh country.
Unlike Engerland, the ugliest country in Europe :(

Apothos 20 Jun 2007 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allfather
Scotland is a pritteh country.
Unlike Engerland, the ugliest country in Europe :(

Eh? Cumbria, N. Yorkshire, Cornwall are all very pretty, to name just a few.

Nodrog 20 Jun 2007 18:08

Quote:

Free Prescriptions
balanced out by the lower salary youll have

Quote:

Free Dental care
you wont be able to find an NHS dentist

Quote:

highschool education is just as shitty and worthless as everywhere else though.

Rinoa 20 Jun 2007 18:57

Youre forgetting some :

1) Goverment pays university tuition costs for scottish students
2)Free bus travel for all OAPS on any service
3)Scottish Sun is 10p
4)Free wheelie bins

fs why did i leave for ireland its £4 a pint here

All Systems Go 20 Jun 2007 19:13

1) He's not Scottish
2) He's not a pensioner
3) Are you kidding me?
4) See above

Nodrog 20 Jun 2007 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinoa
1) Goverment pays university tuition costs for scottish students

You have to pay it back after you graduate except they call it an endowment rather than fees.

Achilles 20 Jun 2007 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinoa
fs why did i leave for ireland its £4 a pint here

It's not quite that bad. It's about €4.40 a pint at the moment, which equates to £2.95.

nightblades 20 Jun 2007 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
But you'd be living in Scotland. :(

and you have a problem with scotland

All Systems Go 20 Jun 2007 23:57

And you don't?

Marv 20 Jun 2007 23:58

Who doesn't?

nightblades 21 Jun 2007 00:03

Quote:

And you don't?

no I certainly do not . I am scottish

furball 21 Jun 2007 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightblades
no I certainly do not . I am scottish

Ah, well that's your first mistake you see :)

All Systems Go 21 Jun 2007 00:06

And you still don't? :confused:

nightblades 21 Jun 2007 00:18

Quote:

And you still don't? :confused:

No i do not . Scotland may be A god forbidden Miserable Place. But i love it and will never leve it EVER

Dante Hicks 21 Jun 2007 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smudge
Free Prescriptions
Free Dental care

Obviously I am in favour of all of the above, but how much of your income goes on prescriptions? Adding up the last fifteen years, I think I've spent less than £10 on prescriptions. If you have a regular ailment then it's different, but for certain chronic conditions I seem to recall other arrangements being in place.

I haven't bothered checking, but from what I can tell if I had a worst case scenario with my NHS dentist (i.e. a band three charge every quarter for a whole year) then that'd only represent something like 3% of my income. The amount is not necessarily trivial but for a working person over the course of the year it would be managable (and avoidable unless like myself, you have very poor dental hygeine). For those with young children, or in receipt of benefits there are of course other arrangements for dental treatment.

Once again, I will state I am in favour of these policies in general, especially for people who are working but earning a low wage - but I wouldn't exaggerate the effect. I realise the tabloids are talking excitedly about the billions going to support those evil Scots, but it's really not that big a deal for most of the people on this forum (I would expect).

roadrunner_0 21 Jun 2007 00:28

the barnett formula still sucks donkey cock though

nightblades 21 Jun 2007 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
the barnett formula still sucks donkey cock though

wtf is that

milo 21 Jun 2007 00:41

tbh those reasons don't sound very appealing, i don't smoke and i prefer the taste of diet sugar free drinks so my teeth are ok and that was the best reason on the list. How are free prescriptions going to help me? I'm pretty much of the opinion parents play a greater role in nurturing a want for understanding and education than schools.

If anything that list is sending out a message that people who are chronically ill with bad teeth and idiotic children are needed in scotland. I'd be more attracted with freedoms than social welfare, so if i were a smoker and scotland hadn't banned private members clubs from smoking like in stalinist england id be 'attracted' to scotland. People throughout history have tended to be more attracted to greater freedom than state handouts no matter how benevolent those handouts are.

Hicks 21 Jun 2007 00:46

Hi guys I'm bored in London where can I go to live in poverty ?

nightblades 21 Jun 2007 00:58

These anti Scottish members would say Scotland . But I cant really say whair would be best

Dante Hicks 21 Jun 2007 01:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by milo
People throughout history have tended to be more attracted to greater freedom than state handouts no matter how benevolent those handouts are.

Well, maybe (although since state "handouts" in this sense are a relatively modern thing I'm not sure you could really make comparisons). "Freedom" exists within a certain context though - Europe has a lot more regulations than parts of Africa and hell Somalia barely has a government. Europe probably has more regulations than anywhere else on Earth (I have no way of justifying that of course) yet there's no shortage of people who wish to live here, even in the cold statist wastes of Scandanavia.

I'd say people are attracted to a more general idea of "the good life" which could mean a range of things. Sure, a lot of migration has been to get away from various persecutions but equally it's been moving towards things - a more general prospect of affluence - often land or work. See the novels of Steinbeck et al.

A friend of mine (junior doctor) is about to move to Australia because there he'll be given the freedom to choose the medical specialty he wants and not deal with the current system of job applications here. But that's not because Australia is freedom loving and the UK isn't, it just seems to be something we've got particularly wrong at the moment. There are plenty of Aussies who come to the UK because of a wider/better choice of jobs.

It seems more about a general notion of quality of life (or perceptions thereof) I think.

All Systems Go 21 Jun 2007 07:49

Quote:

No i do not . Scotland may be A god forbidden Miserable Place. But i love it and will never leve it EVER

And I for one am eternally greatful.

All Systems Go 21 Jun 2007 07:52

Quote:

tbh those reasons don't sound very appealing, i don't smoke and i prefer the taste of diet sugar free drinks so my teeth are ok

I believe it's more to do with the acid in those drinks as opposed to the sugar in them.

SilverSmoke 21 Jun 2007 08:03

Also, it's not like you'll be guaranteed of having no teethproblems if you take care of them very well. Lot's of people just have shitty teeth to begin with, even while taking care of them all their life. I do not take that much care of my teeth, just the basic of two times brushing and I never had a problem at all in my whole life, not even the smallest thing you can imagine. I drank coke for years after years in my teenage years. A bottle a day.

*knock* *knock*

furball 21 Jun 2007 11:26

Quote:

And I for one am eternally greatful.

This from a valleys boy, oh the irony.

Tietäjä 21 Jun 2007 11:46

Quote:

i don't smoke and i prefer the taste of diet sugar free drinks so my teeth are ok and that was the best reason on the list.

You do know that sugar isn't the worst piece the teeth-bashing ingredients in a soda?

midge5 21 Jun 2007 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by furball
This from a valleys boy, oh the irony.

Didn't you hear, Aberdare is the place to be nowadays.

milo 21 Jun 2007 11:54

Quote:

I believe it's more to do with the acid in those drinks as opposed to the sugar in them.

Well the utterly neutral British Soft Drinks Association and Coca Cola disagree!

Quote:

Are soft drinks the cause of either dental erosion or dental caries?

National surveys have shown that dental caries in children has declined dramatically over the same period (1973-1993) that soft drink intake has increased. This has been attributed to the widespread use of fluoride toothpaste.

Many food and drink products such as fruit, sauces, pickles, wine and soft drinks do contain acid, whether natural or added. However an acid can only have an influence on enamel erosion for as long as that acid is in contact with the enamel surfaces. In addition studies on dental erosion have shown it to be a multi-factorial condition with susceptibility in individuals varying according to behaviour, lifestyle, general diet and oral hygiene practices.

Quote:

Soft drinks can dissolve teeth

One question that is frequently asked about soft drinks is whether they cause teeth to erode or dissolve. The often cited case of a tooth in a glass of 'Coca-Cola' dissolving in no way creates a real life situation.

The teeth in your mouth are constantly bathed by saliva, which is vital to the wellbeing of our teeth. This helps neutralize both the acid in soft drinks and the acid which is produced when plaque bacteria digest sugar and other carbohydrates. When you drink a 'Coca-Cola', your teeth are exposed for only a short amount of time rather than sitting for days in a glass. Any acidic drink, including fruit juice, would produce similar results. Globally, tooth decay has declined significantly over the last 20 years, even as soft drink consumption has increased, thanks to improved dental hygiene. The widespread use of fluoride in drinking water, toothpastes and mouthwashes has greatly improved dental health, making teeth more resistant to acid attack from plaque bacteria.

I wouldn't stop drinking diet carbonated drinks tbh, its my major fluid intake mechanism :( without it id have to increase beer intake

furball 21 Jun 2007 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by midge5
Didn't you hear, Aberdare is the place to be nowadays.

Sure, if you want to study in-breeding.

Kargool 21 Jun 2007 12:25

Men in skirt without underwear
Haggis
Bagpipes

I think those three even out your pro's Smudge.

Phil^ 21 Jun 2007 13:03

Quote:

wtf is that

basically scotland gives all its money and resources to england, who give a figure back as calculated by the barnett formula
The english say they give too much back to scotland
The scottish say the english are ripping us off by giving us less back then we had
etc

Phil^ 21 Jun 2007 13:04

Quote:

Ah, well that's your first mistake you see :)

Quote:

Sure, if you want to study in-breeding.

says the person living/studying in wales... :p

furball 21 Jun 2007 13:14

As per most Scottish people, Phil is behind the times since I came home a week or so ago, permanently.

SilverSmoke 21 Jun 2007 13:25

Quote:

As per most Scottish people, Phil is behind the times since I came home a week or so ago, permanently.

I don't want to hurt your feelings but It's quite possible that most people can't be arsed to read every single post you write.

midge5 21 Jun 2007 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil^
says the person living/studying in wales... :p

Furball's in-breeding comment was about Wales anyway.

MrL_JaKiri 21 Jun 2007 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil^
basically scotland gives all its money and resources to england, who give a figure back as calculated by the barnett formula
The english say they give too much back to scotland
The scottish say the english are ripping us off by giving us less back then we had

Scotland gets demonstrably and significantly more public expenditure per capita than England, so I don't think what you have put forward as the Scottish argument really holds water. The objections generally take a more nationalistic, idealogical bent than simply one of money. At least for the Scottish; for the English, that's more covered by the West Lothian question.

JonnyBGood 21 Jun 2007 15:20

Quote:

What if it was a radioactive wasteland populated by ravenous cannibals?

MrL_JaKiri 21 Jun 2007 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood

If?

AV. 21 Jun 2007 21:32

Re: the title of this post

I've already made that mistake, and to be honest, once you get past the hills and the fresh water, it's still full of teenagers with baseball hats brawling on street corners.

Or isn't that fair?

nightblades 21 Jun 2007 23:23

Quote:

i would still stay

Quote:

Originally Posted by AV
I've already made that mistake, and to be honest, once you get past the hills and the fresh water, it's still full of teenagers with baseball hats brawling on street corners.

Or isn't that fair?

That unfortunately is true . They are called ned's (Chavs in England and Scavies somewhere else)

But still they are part and parcel of eny community now . And we just have to put up with the dam delinquents. I run the computer room in a club for young teenagers. and it is them i get in all the time. So i have learnt to deal with them

But enuf of me or this part of Scotland . We should get back on topic . But from what i have seen hear . That's a hard thing to do :p

MrL_JaKiri 21 Jun 2007 23:52

Quote:

But enuf of me or this part of Scotland . We should get back on topic

Indeed. What exactly do you think of the Barnett Formula?

roadrunner_0 22 Jun 2007 00:17

even lord barnett is embarrassed by the barnett formula - it was meant to be in place for 1 year (?) in the 1970's to help out and never got taken out again :(

recently, tony 'most of my constituency are in one of the most deprived wards in the country' actually defended the formula as 'worth it to keep the UK together', even though it means that his own constituents get less government help than most of scotland.

where is the sense in that? (and it just goes to prove what idiots there are around here that vote whoever is labour without actually looking at what the person stands for :(

MrL_JaKiri 22 Jun 2007 00:43

Well, Labour have to keep Scotland on side. If England were taken as a single body, the tories would win by a country mile.

That's not really a reason for the North East to vote for them, but then Labour has beaten the NE around with a big stick because they know there's noone else to vote for. Blair's continued nonattendance at the Durham Miners' Gala, unique of all Labour party leaders thus far, is another example of that.

JonnyBGood 22 Jun 2007 07:13

Quote:

i would still stay

What if they let in blacks?

nightblades 22 Jun 2007 12:08

Quote:

What if they let in blacks?

i would still stay . i have no problem with people from other country's. living hear. and have nothing against any grupe race, religion .

other than neds,chavs,scavies they are the ones that are bringing down oure and other countrys society's.

bar them i would let eny one live hear

Ultimate Newbie 22 Jun 2007 12:14

Its unfortunate that you cannot spell.