Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   GD Bloodbowl League (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=193753)

Nodrog 8 Feb 2007 04:34

GD Bloodbowl League

If youve heard of bloodbowl then you dont need to be told how good it is, but you may need to know that if you go here you get to play it on the internet. Not just one off games, but proper seasons with star player points and everything! So go there and sign up.

If you hadnt heard of bloodbowl then you now know you can play it on the internet, but you may need to be told how good it is. It's very good. Unimaginably good. Others will confirm.

The client is available here, but you need to make an account on the site first. The instruction manual is here but its rather long. You only need the first 16 pages to get the basic rules though, the rest is just details of how league seasons work. It isnt particularly difficult to get the hang off, and youll probably learn faster playing against someone who knows the game already.

Anyway.

The server for playing bloodbowl on the internet lets you create minature leagues. So I'm going to create a GD league. If youre interested in playing let me know and I'll sort something out - we can do some system where you play everyone else a set number of times and all that jazz (obviously not playing anyone outside of the league with the team youre using, but you can have more than one team to use in non-league games). If you arent going to actually play then dont post here and say you will - if you havent played bloodbowl before then make an account and play some random games to see if you like it first.

Nodrog 8 Feb 2007 09:37

Re: GD Bloodbowl League

seriously ive been playing it for the last 8 hours solid and this is the BEST THING EVER.

All Systems Go 8 Feb 2007 10:14

How much of my life will this eat up if I get in on the action?

ChubbyChecker 8 Feb 2007 10:46

Have you played the PC game Chaos League? That's pretty much a rip off of Blood Bowl. I've even heard that Games Workshop have given the developers the license to develop an actual Blood Bowl PC game. Don't know how accurate that rumour is though...

As for this, I might look into it later (can't be arsed right now) if you get a few people interested.

Ste 8 Feb 2007 11:00

Sounds good! busy this weekend tho so will sign up next week.

Haven't played BB in years (and even then I wasn't very good)

CrashTester 8 Feb 2007 11:27

bloodbowl is OLD.

MrL_JaKiri 8 Feb 2007 13:16

I humbly accept.

[edit]

Now 0-3, with one of the games turning on, in a level of luck I have become accustomed to, me rolling 1 then 1, when I needed 2+ :mad:

Deepflow 8 Feb 2007 18:04

I'm in

2 - 0 atm btw

:cool:

Hebdomad 8 Feb 2007 18:10

We used to play a game called bloodball at my secondary school. It was mixture of football, rugby and hitting people. I'll probably start playing in a couple of days once my workload lightens and I've had time to read the manual. It seems a bit much though, 16 pages to learn how to play a game, but all right.

Nodrog 8 Feb 2007 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I humbly accept.

[edit]

Now 0-3, with one of the games turning on, in a level of luck I have become accustomed to, me rolling 1 then 1, when I needed 2+ :mad:

I got another +1 on vampy's movement for her 2nd SP skill and she has a speed of 9 now!

however there still isnt anyone in my team that can pick up the ball :/

Mighteh 8 Feb 2007 18:30

is it the kind of game that requires agility (hand-eye coordination) or just mental skills ?

idiotwind 9 Feb 2007 01:26

I would play but I've no idea how to get it to work.

Nodrog 9 Feb 2007 01:37

T&F, want a game? #forums if you do!

Phalon 9 Feb 2007 02:43

I signed up the other day.

Still getting the hang of it though.

Makes me feel like i'm 13 again. :up:

Achilles 9 Feb 2007 14:51

I'm in for the league.

SYMM 10 Feb 2007 02:07

I signed up now too, it's great fun!

milo 10 Feb 2007 08:49

this all looks very confusing and scary. Gimme the basics of the game, what exactly do you 'do'?

SYMM 10 Feb 2007 10:50

It's based on american football,you pick a team of players, you position them on the field. One team starts by kicking the ball to the other team (you pick a square to aim for) and then the teams take it in turns to try and score touchdowns, or make progress towards doing so.
Players can move, they can 'block' (try and take out an opposition team player), they can 'blitz' (blocking and moving in combination) or pass (try and throw the ball to another team member). The success of most actions is determined by a dice roll, influenced by the player's skills and statistics.

The rule book is pretty massive, but as mentioned the first 15 or so pages are enough to have an idea of what's happening

Nodrog 13 Feb 2007 06:29

Ok so far we have me/Deepflow/Jer(ome)/Jakiri/SYMM/T&F/Achi who are definite, and Ste/Phalon who need to confirm!

The basic structure will probably be some freeform 'play a maximum of 3 games a week against whoever you like, but once youve played someone you cant play them again till youve played everyone else/. I'm also probably going to ban some of the skills that totally unbalance leagues/tournaments where youre forced to play teams that just exist to kill people rather than win (ie no dirty player/razor sharp claws, and only 1 piling on per team).

SYMM 13 Feb 2007 09:25

Killing people is just as valid a tactic as running past them :|

Would those of already playing need to/be expected to start new teams for the tournament? (I think we should...)

And the "you cant play them again till youve played everyone else" bit could get annoying if 2 players' online times don't tend to coincide...

Apothos 13 Feb 2007 10:02

Any room left?

Nodrog 13 Feb 2007 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYMM
Killing people is just as valid a tactic as running past them :|

Indeed, but several skills in the rules used on fumbbl are horribly broken and mean that lighter races can easily get 4-5 players killed and have to retire if they go up against players who are abusing them. In a league format it means that pretty much all the races that have average armour value < 9 are unplayable.

In the latest set of BB rules (LR5, not yet implemented on fumbbl), Razor Sharp Claws has been removed from the game, and Claw/Dirty Player have been toned down significantly.

Quote:

Would those of already playing need to/be expected to start new teams for the tournament? (I think we should...)
yeah

SbOlly 14 Feb 2007 19:31

I'm up for the league if its not full yet.