Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If you could go back in time... (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=190988)

vampy 22 May 2006 14:32

If you could go back in time...

.... what would you do?

Deffeh 22 May 2006 14:40

Re: If you could go back in time...

not have the vagina conversation again.

Bet on sports events and then do what the **** i want, obviously

Dace 22 May 2006 14:41

How far back in time? Cause if it's like 10 seconds it's not gonna be much use

Although saying that your witty repartee could become ****ing awesome.

BEFORE TIME TRAVEL
<Person 1> I hate you
*slight pause*
<You> I hate you more

AFTER TIME TRAVEL
<Person 1> I hate you
<You> The hate i feel for you is slowly eating away at my insides, like an acid. I know im doomed to becoming a stooped-figured shadow of myself because of it and knowing that only makes me hate you more.

vampy 22 May 2006 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deffeh
not have the vagina conversation again.

There's a simple way to avoid the vagina conversation. STOP MISUSING THE DAMN WORD

vampy 22 May 2006 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dace
How far back in time? Cause if it's like 10 seconds it's not gonna be much use (although saying that your witty repartee could become ****ing awesome).

its hypothetical, you can go as far back as you want and do whatever you want. Though if it involves molesting children it's just NOT COOL

jerome 22 May 2006 14:43

take over the world.

i'm flat out serious here. it'd be a totalitarian regime but the world would sure as hell be a better place (temporarily)where everyone lives in ignorant bliss (apart from me and some cronies) and where technologies would exist a good millenium earlier and such forth.

vampy 22 May 2006 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerome
take over the world.

i'm flat out serious here. it'd be a totalitarian regime but the world would sure as hell be a better place (temporarily)where everyone lives in ignorant bliss (apart from me and some cronies) and where technologies would exist a good millenium earlier and such forth.

you think access to technology earlier would make the world a better place?

pig 22 May 2006 14:45

Other than the obvious make money through the lottery and gambling, I would make a few other decisions in a different way.

For example

I would try everything possible to stay with my ex girlfriend of 2 years (17-19) as this was a girl I now look back on and see that I could marry.

I might not make mistkaes ive made in the past, such as the one time I accidentally gambled away £300 in the space of an hour.

I would probably shag/have relationships with birds who were ugly when they were in year 10/11 and then come six form were phwoaar. Id also do the same with girls at uni, who are fit but dont know it, infiltrate that and exploit it.

Generally my life hasnt been too bad to be honest, so I would only really do the money thing and be loaded for life.

Deffeh 22 May 2006 14:47

Im fairly confident i wouldnt waste 2 and a half years of my life again with the same devious slut

I would have quit playing computer games a lot earlier, as it has freed up so much time.

Dante Hicks 22 May 2006 14:49

I'd go back in time, patent a bunch of stuff, and then GPL it all so the only people who could use "my" various inventions would be the people who never use patents.

I'm not saying this would make the world better, but it would make arguing with pro-IP types a lot more fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pig
I would probably shag/have relationships with birds who were ugly when they were in year 10/11 and then come six form were phwoaar.

This is a brilliant idea and I'd do something similar, if I wasn't ****ing about with the timeline too much by inventing the microprocessor in 1400 or something.

jerome 22 May 2006 14:49

no, no, the technology is only for me! so my life would be easier, but it'd also allow me to carefully plot the world's growth.

i'd be like god basically. a twofaced god, that is. have a facade of a peace-loving, prosperity-sharing lord and such, but behind the scenes i'd keep track on everyone, use said technology to make sure that i can 'see all' and such.

that's the more negative adminstrative side though, in daylight with recently advanced and gained knowledge of medicine, agriculture, enviromental welfare and so forth, it'd be much easier to cultivate a utopia of sorts (of my own vision that is)

pig 22 May 2006 14:49

id still do most of the shit I shouldnt do but do. Like smoking, playing pa, gambling, playing snooker just in general doing nothing as well I enjoy it. But money would make all of this easier to do.

Tomkat 22 May 2006 14:52

Apart from setting myself up so I'm a bit richer, I don't think I'd change anything in my life. It's all been pretty good so far.

jerome 22 May 2006 14:54

on a much less extreme note, i'd also probably gamble a lot more and go back in time regularly with gained knowledge of outcomes etc (i mean poker specifically here really) if i was too lazy to do the growing the world how i want to etc thing

vampy 22 May 2006 14:55

I didnt really mean 'turning back time' and righting your mistakes with the knowledge you have now. I was more thinking of getting into a time machine that can take you to any time at all....so if you went back to your past, you'd see the old you, still making those mistakes. You'd just have to bitchslap him and tell him not to be a fool.

I'd like to go back and teach relativity theory to the ancient greeks and watch their brains explode....and then see how much difference it made to the future.

Deffeh 22 May 2006 14:57

in that case i'd go back in time to some point in the last 2 and a half years and double team the bitch.

im really bitter

jerome 22 May 2006 14:57

yes then i'd go back to some ancient times too then and stick with the taking over the world plan

pig 22 May 2006 15:00

Id go back to the 1960s and just shag around more and take drugs and listen to good music.

Dante Hicks 22 May 2006 15:01

What you actually ended up doing would really depend on the specifics of how the whole thing worked. You say you can go back. And then presumably you can go forward again to "now". But then it wouldn't be "now", it'd be some parallel "now" where Grimsby were the world's greatest football club or wherever. If your machine can go forward to now, why can't it go forward from now?

Finally, are you affected by the changes? Can you kill your own parents and then disappear, or are you protected by some sort of force shielded temporal warp bubble?

I demand to know.

If I can just go back, once, then I would go back and teach them as much engineering knowledge as I could manage. Theoretical physics seems a bit pointless, but teaching more advanced irrigation, medical or construction techniques a millennia earlier would presumably make a massive difference.

Alternately, you could make sure your "tribe" (whoever you "support") dominates by giving them Uzi's in 2000BC. It's all good.

vampy 22 May 2006 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
What you actually ended up doing would really depend on the specifics of how the whole thing worked. You say you can go back. And then presumably you can go forward again to "now". But then it wouldn't be "now", it'd be some parallel "now" where Grimsby were the world's greatest football club or wherever. If your machine can go forward to now, why can't it go forward from now?

Finally, are you affected by the changes? Can you kill your own parents and then disappear, or are you protected by some sort of force shielded temporal warp bubble?

I demand to know.

I don't know!!!
This was all inspired by Dace saying on IRC that he wanted to go back in time so he could **** britt eckland or someone while she was still hot. So i figured it might actually make for an interesting forum topic.

so yeah...whatever you want....the machine can go back, and if you want it to go forward it can do too I suppose, but as you said it would have to go to a parallel now that was affected by your actions. and if you want it to go further forward too then i guess it could. and seeing as none of it is possible anyway, sure you can kill your parents. whatever makes you happy :)

Dace 22 May 2006 15:17

They star out the word rape now???

Ste 22 May 2006 15:20

insert comedy reply about vampy and naked photos here

Ste 22 May 2006 15:22

but seriously, i'd probably kick the shit out of all the little shits that made school hell for so many people.
then i'd sell the use of my time and machine to go back and beat up all the other little shits at other peoples schools.

I'd be a super hero :)

Dace 22 May 2006 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste
but seriously, i'd probably touch up all the little shits that made school hell for so many people.
then i'd sell the use of my time and machine to go back and touch up all the other little shits at other peoples schools.

I'd be a super hero :)

jerome 22 May 2006 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dace
They star out the word rape now???

i'm guessing not, and that she used the word '****' instead (though it'll inevitably be censored in this post - it's the f word at a guess

Ste 22 May 2006 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by dace

only if they're pretty :(

at my school they weren't

Quote:

i'm guessing not, and that she used the word '****' instead (though it'll inevitably be censored in this post - it's the f word at a guess

:(
whoosh
is your name appocomaster?

Dace 22 May 2006 15:27

Quote:

*sigh*

Alki 22 May 2006 15:29

i'd make sure tomkat got cancer when he was 10

jerome 22 May 2006 15:32

yes yes i realise :(

lokken 22 May 2006 15:38

I was going to mention some major event, but then realised I wanted something more basic.

I'd go back to being 5 years old. Ignorance is bliss.

Dace 22 May 2006 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken
I'd go back to being 5 years old. Ignorance is bliss.

Back to a more innocent, more happy, time. A time when you didn't know what your Uncle did to you was wrong. A time when you didn't have to feel shame for something so wrong feeling so right.

vampy 22 May 2006 15:46

i think I'd go back and give dace's mum a hysterectomy

pyirt 22 May 2006 16:01

Play the national lottery, knowing inadvance the numbers to be chosen.

furball 22 May 2006 16:06

I wouldn't do anything major. Instead, I'd find my 14 year old self and tell him that he's totally right, PA is for losers and not to give it a go for a laugh. By doing that I'd never have had an internet girlfriend for 2 years (how stupid was I), I'd have touched a whole lot more girls, I'd have better social skills and I'd have got to Cambridge instead of Cardiff.

Good life eh?

Dace 22 May 2006 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampy
i think I'd go back and give dace's mum a hysterectomy

always with the "cutting people in some way or other" with you isn't it

Ephor 22 May 2006 16:14

I'd go back in time twice to spitroast Britt Ekland when she was hot. On the way back I'd infiltrate the hotel used by Spurs before their last game of this season and poison them!

Dante Hicks 22 May 2006 16:16

Oh yeah, I'd kill Stalin, forgot about that one.

PSH 22 May 2006 16:33

I'd become the best football scout ever!

And maybe win a few roll overs! ;)

Veedeejem! 22 May 2006 16:45

I'd make alot of princesses and queens pregnant and then watch my offspring rule the world and fight eachother

Cannon_Fodder 22 May 2006 17:56

Money thing mainly, plus if you were ever kidnapped or such, you could go back in time and avoid it.

Or be a military commander in say roman times and kick arse with your knowledge from Rome:Total War.

Proteus 22 May 2006 18:05

Work out when Tony Blair was conceived and phone up his parents that night every 10 minutes offering to sell them some double glazing.

Cannon_Fodder 22 May 2006 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
How would you become a military commander in Rome exactly?

Aside from anything else I suspect you can't even speak Latin.

How would you create a tme machine?

And learn latin?

Cannon_Fodder 22 May 2006 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus
Work out when Tony Blair was conceived and phone up his parents that night every 10 minutes offering to sell them some double glazing.

Wouldn't you need to 'delay' them only once so a different sperm got through?

MrL_JaKiri 22 May 2006 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniborp

A different sperm would have different genes as the result of meiosis. Only slightly changing the event would probably give a different sperm the "victory".

Of course, you then have to ascribe a genetic component to the outcome of an individual's life, which I can't do with this avatar.

MrL_JaKiri 22 May 2006 18:30

Quote:

How would you create a tme machine?

By receiving the plans for a time machine magically one day. Obviously, the first thing I'd do with said time machine would be to send the plans back to myself.

IncubusGod 22 May 2006 19:17

I'd go back 4and a half billion years and piss in the primodial soup, thus resulting in life as we know it beginning to evolve from an STD I picked up from Helen of Troy when I had a bried layover in 400BC.

Kurashima 22 May 2006 19:25

Id go back and seriously **** up my girlfriends ex.

:)

Blastoderm 22 May 2006 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiddy
Basically, you can't go back in time as it doesn't exist. If you take the fourth dimension to be time, then the threads created in the past exist in the present, but their creation and the events which have happened to that thread cannot be affected because that point no longer exists physically, only as a memory and a result which is displayed physically now.

You can't travel to the future as it hasn't yet happened, thus it doesn't exist either.

The idea of time travel which is commonly thought of is that you will go back in time if you reach the speed of light and exceed it - this is untrue. Events will happen at the same speed for you travelling at n times the speed of light as they will for me, stationary lying in bed. However, relatively speaking, you will age slower than I will as time will not pass as quickly.

Hence the theory of relativity.

Or something along those lines.

Something skiddy thought up regarding time travel.

Proteus 22 May 2006 19:33

Quote:

I wasn't really planning on spying on them closely enough to work out exactly when they were having sex. Even for eliminating Tony from history that would be too high a price to pay.

MrL_JaKiri 22 May 2006 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastoderm
Something skiddy thought up regarding time travel.

And he's not a physicist you say?