Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Summer is Here! (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=194544)

All Systems Go 24 May 2007 18:11

Summer is Here!

Well not quite but all the indicators are here. the sun is shining, the football season is over and all the tv series have nearly finished.

I have a habit of annoying any shows which are given any hype whatsoever. So, I've not watched any news series so far in the past six months. Which shows have finished (or are about to finish) that I could watch? I sort of prefer to do it this way as I can just blitz through them rather than having to wait a week for the next one. I think my first port of call will be the continuously-hyped Heroes, though I am concerned it will be just as crap as Mutant X.

Conversly, which shows are you looking forward to which start in the coming weeks?

isildurx 24 May 2007 18:15

Re: Summer is Here!

Theres some good shows starting?

*Heroes are great
*Entourage is finishing its 3rd season.
*Friday Night Lights is a new show i really enjoyed, its about american football but has a very nice 'dark side'.

One awesome new show that is unfortunately ending is Studio 60, such a great show :(

Nadar 24 May 2007 18:54

The 4400 is starting in June I think. It'll be the fourth season and I'm looking forward to it. It's quite a huge gap between every season though, which I find damn annoying as I always forget what happened :/

Dark_Mage 24 May 2007 18:57

Fourth series of Peep Show finished last week. Watch that.

Hebdomad 24 May 2007 19:13

I'm feeling quite happy the sun is out. I was doing glorious nothing, just lying down not thinking, yesterday in the sun. Then because the weather was so great I decided to goto the pub last in the evening for a drink on the benches outsider where I met interesting and attractive young flesh. Great.

I don;t really watch television.

G.K Zhukov 24 May 2007 19:33

You have missed the most obvious summer sign:

The Norwegian coast guard is looking for germans lost at sea.

Dante Hicks 24 May 2007 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
I think my first port of call will be the continuously-hyped Heroes, though I am concerned it will be just as crap as Mutant X.

Such concerns are unfounded. I won't bother hyping it up anymore - it has it's fault but it's by the far the best of the current series that I watch. Admittedly, the only ones I keep up to date with are Smallville (simply so I can be annoyed), Lost (so I can bemused and annoyed) and Supernatural (I don't even know why). BSG is obviously still brilliant but that ended a while ago.

I'm repeatedly told by all and sundry that The Wire is the best TV show ever, but I can't be bothered to start it.

Allfather 24 May 2007 20:09

Eureka.
heroes is ok.
House MD is fun.

furball 24 May 2007 20:24

Series to watch:

All of Heroes
All of the Sopranos
All of Prison Break

oh and I need to get a job and somewhere to live too.

ComradeRob 24 May 2007 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I'm repeatedly told by all and sundry that The Wire is the best TV show ever, but I can't be bothered to start it.

If you watch no other TV for the rest of your life, watch The Wire. Seriously, it really is as good as everyone says (and it's probably still better than that). Worth it just for the crime scene investigation carried out using nothing but the words 'shit' and 'mother****er' (which, if they were not already cornerstones of your vocabulary, will become so after you've spent most of your waking hours watching the show).

Allfather 24 May 2007 20:40

I "aquired" 3 seasons (or was it 2) of this "superb" series earlier mentioned (The wire), and to be honest, i have trouble watching 1 full episode at a time before i pause and go of do something else.

As police series go there is only one good one, and thats "the shield".

Nadar 24 May 2007 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
You have missed the most obvious summer sign:

The Norwegian coast guard is looking for germans lost at sea.

That's so true. I wonder how much of our tax money are spent on saving these people every year.

All Systems Go 24 May 2007 21:04

the UK would probalby let them drown.

Allfather 24 May 2007 21:48

Would be the smart thing to do.
This world does not need more of tze germanz.

Apothos 24 May 2007 21:50

I watched the pilot to The Riches after i saw Eddie Izzard on Jonathan Ross last friday, and it seems rather good.

Demon Dave 25 May 2007 01:59

Boston Legal is a hilarious must watch

SYMM 25 May 2007 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeRob
If you watch no other TV for the rest of your life, watch The Wire. Seriously, it really is as good as everyone says (and it's probably still better than that). Worth it just for the crime scene investigation carried out using nothing but the words 'shit' and 'mother****er' (which, if they were not already cornerstones of your vocabulary, will become so after you've spent most of your waking hours watching the show).

Listen to this man, he speaks the truth. Seasons 1, 3 and 4 are absolutely awesome, 2 is slightly below the level of the others, but is still worth watching. And you do really need to watch them all. In order. (In a single week.)

furball 25 May 2007 09:41

They're added to the list, along with The Shield which I left off.

so.

All of Prison Break
All of Heroes
All of the Sopranos
All of The Shield
All of The Wire

thank god for the internet.

Deepflow 25 May 2007 12:46

The 3rd series of the US Office has just finished, that's pretty awesome, watch that.

pig 25 May 2007 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by horn
do you all have sky or digital or something? i never see these shows on the normal 5 channels listings...

I have sky plus, but on the whole if there is a program or series I want to watch I go here or I go here. I prefer the first link as it's less effort and well on demand, when I want to watch it. Although the quality isn't that great, it does me fine.

viC 25 May 2007 13:23

Entourage.
Heroes.
Boston Legal.
Weeds.

Kargool 25 May 2007 13:33

Brotherhood starts up again this summer, so does the brilliant Kyle XY, both of them have aired one season so far. Brotherhood can be easiest compared to a gritty west wing with a sopranos theme, and Kyle XY, well.. its sci fi! Both deffo recommended.

All Systems Go 25 May 2007 18:20

Has anyone seen Aaron Sorkins's Sports Night? How does it compare to his other tv shows (West Wing, Studio 60)?

I'm getting it now and I am hopeful.

dda-II 26 May 2007 06:14

The 90 degree weather has been a clue to summer here in Stockton.

As to series, I have taken to watching some old series on dvd. Most recently I have been watching "Wooster and Jeeves." I keep thinking that Bertie Wooster could grow up to make a marvelous doctor.

isildurx 26 May 2007 06:59

Oh yeah ****s sake, Weeds season 2 was immensely entertaining. The season finale of season 2 is easily one of the coolest ever!

pyirt 26 May 2007 12:20

Summer is here. I`m off to the pub again! :)

vampire_lestat 26 May 2007 15:03

why isn't house on your list?

qebab 27 May 2007 01:21

I don't know about the summer thing. Sure, we had some summer earlier today, but then we had autumn, and spring and now it's winter again. The weather in Trondheim is... unstable these days.

I'd recommend Heroes , and it looks like I'll pick up The Wire to watch then.

Boogster 28 May 2007 01:30

Over the weekend I went to North Wales and spent the evenings drinking, chatting and playing scrabble. It rained on Sunday but on Saturday I climbed here and it was better than watching tv.

All Systems Go 28 May 2007 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boogster
Over the weekend I went to North Wales and spent the evenings drinking, chatting and playing scrabble. It rained on Sunday but on Saturday I climbed here and it was better than watching tv.

Did you climb it for any particular reason?

Tomkat 28 May 2007 12:33

To get away from you! :zing:

Boogster 28 May 2007 14:19

It's fantastic being outdoors, high up, wind in your face, trying hard not to fall. Just exhilarating I suppose.

All Systems Go 28 May 2007 17:17

that's not really answered my question. People tend to avoid North Wales, unless they have a very good reason.

they only speak to you in Welsh, even though they can ALL speak English.

Bastards.

midge5 28 May 2007 20:27

Quote:

that's not really answered my question. People tend to avoid North Wales, unless they have a very good reason.

they only speak to you in Welsh, even though they can ALL speak English.

Bastards.

I went to Dolgellau once to visit my uncle and most of the people there kept being really condescending and looking down on me just because I couldn't speak Welsh :(

All Systems Go 28 May 2007 22:19

Quote:

Has anyone seen Aaron Sorkins's Sports Night? How does it compare to his other tv shows (West Wing, Studio 60)?

I'm getting it now and I am hopeful.

I shall now answer my own question.

Sports Night is too smart to be funny. It has a dry sense of humour which is far more effective in a dead-pan situation. this is why his other shows were so good. A 22 minute comedy with canned laughter is not the right medium for this kind of writing.

I've only seen one episode so far, but it's so frustrating. If you darkened the set, removed the puns and stopped the canned laughter, you'd have a show closer to Studio 60 and it would be far superior.

Deepflow 28 May 2007 23:18

Jesus guys, 3 neg reps for saying the US office is awesome.

What exactly is it about it that you don't like? I think it's a nice reworking of the original. A lot of the stuff is directly copied from the UK version but as it goes on it develops its own storylines (that can last over many many episodes as it has far more than the UK version) that I found compelling :o

The acting is also pretty top notch and it's being well recieved critically and as far as ratings go (a fourth 22 episode season is now being made).

I know Americans normally screw these things up, and I guess that's what a lot of your hate stems from, but this one is good and you people really need to give it another chance, assuming you liked the UK one, that is.

All Systems Go 28 May 2007 23:20

I've not seen it but I would like to. I have an issue with it being 22 episodes per season.

Although it is automatically cool for having an episode directed by Joss Whedon.