Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Meeting your heroes (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196204)

Dace 9 Mar 2008 21:37

Meeting your heroes

Today i did just that.

I'm a very big fan of the books of Iain M. Banks (i consider him to prolly be the best sci-fi writer around) so when the opportunity to meet him came up i decided to take it.

There's a 'festival' in Glasgow called 'Aye Write'. Anyway Banks was speaking at it tonight with Ken MacLeod so i bought a ticket for me and one for the burd and went along.

In short banks came across as something of a smart arse (<Interviewer> Do you think writing's important in school? <Banks> Yeah, definitely. Especially when it comes to exam time. They're not big on people miming their answers.) but my kind of smart arse so it was all good.

Question and answer was also good. I have aspirations to be a writer so got some insight into the writing processes of both authors.

I didn't bother getting any of my books signed by him because why would i want to deface any of them. I also didn't have a nice bon mot lined up for the 'making small talk' bit. Would quite like to go for a pint with him though.

Anyway, have any of you guys met your hero? How did it go? Did they live up to your expectations?

Yahwe 9 Mar 2008 23:04

Re: Meeting your heroes

you met me

All Systems Go 9 Mar 2008 23:14

I met Timmy Mallet as a kid. When Whackaday was still on TV.

Smudge 10 Mar 2008 12:25

Roy Walker

Legend.

Mzyxptlk 10 Mar 2008 12:34

No more heroes.

midge5 10 Mar 2008 17:11

Last year I got to meet Neil Jenkins and Dafydd James at a Pontypridd RFC event for all their Lions players which was pretty cool. They gave quite interesting speeches and even though I only got to talk to them for a few minutes but they were really friendly.

Yahwe 10 Mar 2008 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I wouldn't like to meet any of my heroes.

neither would i

_Kila_ 10 Mar 2008 21:04

I have no heroes

Tomkat 10 Mar 2008 21:06

Save the cheerleader, save the world :cool:

Travler 12 Mar 2008 05:55

I never got to meet Evel Knievel. He died a few months ago. He was my hero when I was a kid. Now my hero is Hugh Hefner. Not really I just envy how many women he comes into contact with.

All Systems Go 12 Mar 2008 13:07

There's not much need to be envious about a wrinkly old man and high price hookers.

G.K Zhukov 12 Mar 2008 17:13

Atleast he doesnt loose his job and risk going to jail, like Eliot Spitzer is doing right now.

Mistwraith 13 Mar 2008 23:23

I used to work in a video store Toby Gard, rented from when he was creating Lara Croft, nice guy.

Mzyxptlk 13 Mar 2008 23:38

The guy who created Tomb Raider is your hero? Aim higher*.

* Meaning, head shot gives double points.

dda 18 Mar 2008 21:31

Speaking of my heros......whatever happened to Pig?

pablissimo 18 Mar 2008 21:46

He wasn't Horn? Damn man, I need to pay more attention

Yahwe 18 Mar 2008 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by pablissimo
He wasn't Horn? Damn man, I need to pay more attention

the avatar maketh the man

QazokRouge5 19 Mar 2008 04:40

I met Shaq at a B-ball game.

Not really my hero but he was big as a ****ing oak tree.

Nice guy too, bought me a beer.

Marilyn Manson 19 Mar 2008 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by QazokRouge5
bought me a beer.

.. And?

Tomkat 19 Mar 2008 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda
Speaking of my heros......whatever happened to Pig?

He's moved into a flat and doesn't have the internet. A few of us met up a month or so ago. He's doing fine :cool:

Marilyn Manson 20 Mar 2008 11:30

Has he date-raped anyone recently?

SilverSmoke 20 Mar 2008 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
.. And?

Ofcourse you can be an anal prick about glorification of sport stars and such but in my tiny world it's still a cool enough thing to tell people that you've been given a beer by someone like Shaquile O'neill :(

All Systems Go 20 Mar 2008 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
.. And?

He woke up bleeding from the anus with no recollection of the previous evening, after drinknig the beer bought for him by Shaquile 'big as a ****ing oak tree' O'neill.

All Systems Go 20 Mar 2008 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Ofcourse you can be an anal prick about glorification of sport stars and such but in my tiny world it's still a cool enough thing to tell people that you've been given a beer by someone like :(

I don't care for basketball, but there are some cool points because he was in an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

[DW]Entropy 20 Mar 2008 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
He woke up bleeding from the anus with no recollection of the previous evening, after drinknig the beer bought for him by Shaquile 'big as a ****ing oak tree' O'neill.

Rohypenol FTW!

Marilyn Manson 26 Mar 2008 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Ofcourse you can be an anal prick about glorification of sport stars and such but in my tiny world it's still a cool enough thing to tell people that you've been given a beer by someone like Shaquile O'neill :(

Honey.

The only reason someone buys another person a beer is because they want to pick them up.

The only reason.

The fact that he accepted the beer in question just adds to my suspicion.

Also, I believe that I am onto something when I say there may be a reason why he is called 'Shaq.'

Marilyn Manson 27 Mar 2008 13:53

Btw, my heroes are John (You don't know him) and Pab. So I have not yet all my heroes.

Oh and Belgy as well. \0/