Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Your Next Car Accident (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=187807)

acropolis 14 Oct 2005 02:14

Your Next Car Accident

This thread is about introspection. You look at your driving, and predict your next car accident. Then you go out and do what it takes to prove yourself right. Or don't. Would make a better thread if you did tho.

Anyway. I'm pretty confident that my next (first) accident will involve me turning left* through a green light, and because I'm watching for oncoming traffic I will find out about the people in the crosswalk to the left from the thumps they make under my tires.

I believe this because I've already had several close calls, and I don't seem to be learning.

*for you wacky brits replace all lefts with rights and this will make more sense.

Yahwe 14 Oct 2005 02:15

Re: Your Next Car Accident

cabbies don't/(better not if they value their lower class hides) ever crash

so i'm safe

Demon Dave 14 Oct 2005 02:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe

so i'm safe

even if they do crash, you'd be insured. As long as it was a Black Cab. Had quite an interesting conversation with a cabby about this last night

Paisley 14 Oct 2005 02:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by acropolis
I believe this because I've already had several close calls, and I don't seem to be learning. .

All you can do is keep your speed down in town driving. Just reduce the risk of it happening.

Quote:

cabbies don't/(better not if they value their lower class hides) ever crash so i'm safe.

Surprised you aint giving out business cards saying... If you have been in an accident and someone else is to blame.
No win no fee FTW.

Demon Dave 14 Oct 2005 02:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddies
Surprised you aint giving out business cards saying... If you have been in an accident and someone else is to blame.
No win no fee FTW.

i think you'll find that Yahwe only deals with Criminal cases, none of this "I did something stupid and want money for it" rubbish

acropolis 14 Oct 2005 02:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon Dave
i think you'll find that Yahwe only deals with Criminal cases, none of this "I did something stupid and want money for it" rubbish

"I did something stupid and I don't want to face consequences"?

Yahwe 14 Oct 2005 02:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddies
No win no fee FTW.

I can't be employed by the public.

the wonders of a gentlemanly profession ...

Yahwe 14 Oct 2005 02:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon Dave

actually I don't

I did a wonderful bit of work on the Belgian Law of commercial agency.

BUT it is soooooooooooooo less exciting to talk about

Vaio 14 Oct 2005 08:40

Quote:

so i'm safe

However plenty of people crash into cabbies.

True Story.

Proteus 14 Oct 2005 10:34

If I do crash, it'll be because some stupid old lady from my village hasn't quite worked out that you drive on the left/put your lights on at night/indicate before turning/don't drive whilst under the influence of old age, etc.

lokken 14 Oct 2005 11:06

your next accident could be your last.

Zero 14 Oct 2005 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus
...don't drive whilst under the influence of old age, etc.

That is quite possibly one of the best lines of text i think i have ever read. :) [/offtopic]

For some reason all my crashes (3 so far) have been collisions at under 10 miles an hour but the worst thing about it is that all the cars I have hit have been stationary.

Does that make me a terrible driver?*

*Don't answer that...I already know the answer.

NEWSBOT3 14 Oct 2005 11:25

yes yes it does.

JammyJim 14 Oct 2005 11:50

It will involve a fairly high speed collision with a fox or somesuch. I doubt much would happen bar damage to the front of the car and the Fox's demise.

I travel back from going out late at night too quickly sometimes :-(

KoeN 14 Oct 2005 11:54

my next car accident will be caused by a woman.

or a muslim.

Tomkat 14 Oct 2005 12:37

I'm pretty sure I need to re-pass my test again.

It's scheduled for December!

Then I'll probably end up drink driving again and kill myself.

WINNER

AT

LIFE

(DEATH)

Cannon_Fodder 14 Oct 2005 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken
your next accident could be your last.

Theres always one bringing down the atmosphere

Marilyn Manson 14 Oct 2005 15:47

I don't drive, never had in my life, have no intention of starting anytime soon.

That seems easy enough to fulfil.

midge5 14 Oct 2005 16:43

Mine will probably be on the way into Cardiff. Coming up to a junction the left hand lane splits into two and the right hand lane curves right a bit. Quite a few times when moving into this middle lane I have had someone nearly crash into me after they just went straight on from the right hand lane.

Squidly 14 Oct 2005 16:52

I imagine my next one will be something with striking similarity to me bouncing off of someone's windshield. I don't drive as of yet (Paying out the nose for insurance is fun. no, really it is) so thus the only car accident I'm gonna come up with is some moron running a light while I'm on the crosswalk.

If I do start driving anytime soon... I'll probably be hitting some poor defenseless 200 pound critter who I didn't see in the dead of night on a highway. The moment I start driving, I'm heading to the mountains for a few weeks of camping ;) (all ye critters out there be warned! :( )

Deepflow 14 Oct 2005 17:05

well, i dont drive, but hopefully it will be like the last one. I was just crossing the road on the way to work and a car went into my leg and knocked me a couple of feet. It hurt for about 5 minutes.

I'm not sure ill get the chance though as i almost walked in front of a tram yesterday.

Tactitus 14 Oct 2005 18:31

I suspect my next accident will be a lot like the previous four. :(

I'll be sitting at an uncontrolled intersection waiting to turn left*, with my turn signal on thankyouverymuch, and some inattentive moron will plow into the back of my vehicle. My most recent was when a priest driving a rented Ford Taurus rear-ended me** and nearly totaled my Civic.

I've modified all my usual routes to eliminate as many left turns as I can, but I figure it's only a matter of time before someone gets me again.

Tip: don't turn your wheels while waiting to turn left* because if you do and you get rear-ended the impact will push you into the path of oncoming traffic. :/

*right for you Brits

**insert gay priest joke here

dda 15 Oct 2005 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
I don't drive, never had in my life, have no intention of starting anytime soon.

That seems easy enough to fulfil.

Then your next accident would probably be being run over while lying drunk in the gutter (or am I thinking of JBG?).

IncubusGod 15 Oct 2005 01:02

Mine will no doubt be me being creamed from the side by a bunch of asylum seekers in a shitty 1995 Ford Orion with no tax, insurance or licence, who've driven through a stop sign at a crossroads.
I say this because it's almost happened me 3 times in the past month.
3 ****ing times. All on the main street in the city. They just drive right across it from side streets.
I also say this because it's happened to my ex also. Some bint drove through a stop sign at an intersection and plowed into her at about 30mph. Putting her in hospital for 3 days.
No insurance. Learner Licence. Driving alone.
Fs.

Clearly African countries have yet to adopt hexagonal signs that tell you to stop at dangerous junctions.

Cuddley_Battleship 15 Oct 2005 01:13

Mine will probably be running over a pedestrian on purpose. It's tempting, I don't know why.

Knight Theamion 15 Oct 2005 03:26

I won't get any accidents that I cause, if I get an accident it will be their fault. However it might be because they do not see that I am speeding and take the risk....

Appocomaster 15 Oct 2005 11:03

Well, I think just generally hitting something without using mirrors properly.
My accidents so far have included:
getting rear ended at a junction when I stalled when I was a learner
pulling off my front bumper when coming out of my garage (the day after passing my test)
my dad reversing into my car because he forgot I was back from uni.
But, I've almost hit people several times, generally by not thinking* / looking at my mirrors enough

*almost emergency stopping on the M1 because the lane you want to pull into is full and you can't see how to get into it

Cooling 15 Oct 2005 13:14

I had a fellow steal my car, drive it about for three days, get involved in a police pursuit, then crash it head on into an oncoming vehicle at 70 kmph.

Just last week in fact.

Does that qualify as an accident by proxy?

If so, the benefits are a large insurance payout and no loss of my claims bonus (win).

Marilyn Manson 15 Oct 2005 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda
Then your next accident would probably be being run over while lying drunk in the gutter (or am I thinking of JBG?).

We are all in the gutter, but some* of us are looking at the stars.

*Not Jonny. Jonny is furiously wanking himself off with one hand, drinking from a can of Guinness in the other, whilst calling random passers-by "Pieces a' shite."

JonnyBGood 15 Oct 2005 13:52

Excuse me I have more dignity than to be found drinking Guinness from a can.

xtrasyn 15 Oct 2005 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoeN
my next car accident will be caused by a woman.

or a muslim.

What's with you and muslims nowadays.

furball 15 Oct 2005 16:06

I'll be hit by a car at night on St Marys Street in Cardiff. The bag of chips I was carrying will hopefully be smeared over the car, but no guarantees :(

Raging.Retard 15 Oct 2005 19:42

Last time I crashed (and only time so far!) it was into a policeman.

I think I need to outdo myself and go for an ambulance next time.

MrL_JaKiri 15 Oct 2005 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Excuse me I have more dignity than to be found drinking Guinness from a can.

You drink it straight from the cask.