Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   You think it's worth the cost? (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=193976)

jt25man 6 Mar 2007 12:11

You think it's worth the cost?

I was on MSNBC and this article caught my attention.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17473059/

I love how accurately scientists can predict something like an asteroid may hit in 2036 and cause a tsunami that will take out the coast of California, but the govermnent says that's not a good enough reason to fund them trying to track asteroids that may hit earth.

I like the idea of giving them the money, that way if something were going to happen they could try to come up with a way to deal with it (hopefully better than sending Bruce Willis into space with a nuclear bomb). It would look pretty damn stupid if we faced annihalation because when they finally found the one that would do us in it was too late because they didn't have enough advanced warning, and then the government looks like an ass for a week or two until we all blow up.

But then again, does anyone even actually care, or do you guys think that it's a waste of money?

All Systems Go 6 Mar 2007 12:31

Re: You think it's worth the cost?

I don't think we could actually do anything to stop it so it seems pretty worthless. they aren't going to build giant shelters for people anyway. the only people to get that privilage will be the head of the American government and possibl some Western leaders.

JonnyBGood 6 Mar 2007 12:46

I believe that money is far more wisely spent on munitions that we can stockpile near schools in Baghdad protected by poorly maintained wire fences and a man whose second name, coincidentally, ends with Laden.

Plus I'm really down with the concept of sending Bruce Willis into space with a nuclear weapon. Or sending him anywhere with a nuclear weapon really.

Alessio 6 Mar 2007 17:40

In 2036 i'll be old enough to die anyway

and death by asteroid isn't really a bad or dishonorable way to die

Achilles 6 Mar 2007 17:45

All I know is that if an asteroid hits me, I'll hit the ****er back.

JonnyBGood 6 Mar 2007 19:06

It's times like these I'm grateful for the existence of despair.com!

dda 6 Mar 2007 20:32

I recently came into posession of one of their catalogues. Some of their stuff is funny and some of it is all too true.

Tactitus 6 Mar 2007 20:57

A billion dollars is petty cash in the context of the US federal budget (it would amount to about 0.04% of the total budget). If we can afford to waste, er spend, $6.5B (in FY2007 alone) on studying global warming it doesn't seem out of line to throw a billion dollars at a potentially more serious problem. Of course, that's the kind of thinking that leads to a $2.5T budget. :/

I suspect the real problem is that NASA wants nothing to do with this project. They'd rather launch stuff into space than build telescopes on the ground.

G.K Zhukov 6 Mar 2007 23:15

According to Wikipedia, the average cost of a F-22 Raptor (that's a figher plane folks) is something around 350million dollars.

Now don't get me started on what the US Army uses up every week it's stuck in Iraq. Basicly, a billion dollars is peanuts.

Texan 17 Mar 2007 22:12

If a billion dollars is peanuts, then perhaps Norway can fund the project with all that money they get from their oil.

Travler 18 Mar 2007 02:36

It's worth it. It keeps some scientists employed and really large telescope manufacturer's in business.

Put Haliburton in charge and it will cost 5b and be based in the UAE.

G.K Zhukov 18 Mar 2007 02:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan
If a billion dollars is peanuts, then perhaps Norway can fund the project with all that money they get from their oil.

Or maybe we should hope it does only strike the USA, and therefore wish it to happen? :p

jt25man 18 Mar 2007 03:46

I think they said it would land on Yahwe.

dda 18 Mar 2007 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Or maybe we should hope it does only strike the USA, and therefore wish it to happen? :p

Or perhaps Norway and almost no one would notice?

dda 18 Mar 2007 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt25man
I think they said it would land on Yahwe.

In that case it would burn up as it passed through his ego.

Mistwraith 18 Mar 2007 12:19

maybe its a US government conspiracy, already have one .. but dont want anyone to know about it :P

Nodrog 18 Mar 2007 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tactitus
A billion dollars is petty cash in the context of the US federal budget (it would amount to about 0.04% of the total budget).

Add on the cost of developing means to deal with any potentially dangerous asteroids if theyre discovered. A detection system is fairly useless if it isnt also accompanied by a program to deal with the threat.

Anyway, its hard to say anything without some idea of what the probability is that there would be such an asteroid. It's silly to throw money at something just because theres a possibility that maybe it could perhaps prevent a potential danger.

Phil^ 18 Mar 2007 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
It's silly to throw money at something just because theres a possibility that maybe it could perhaps prevent a potential danger.

of course its silly to throw money at developing airbags for cars just because theres a possibility it could prevent someone hitting their head off the wheel
:rolleyes:

The General8 18 Mar 2007 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil^
of course its silly to throw money at developing airbags for cars just because theres a possibility it could prevent someone hitting their head off the wheel
:rolleyes:

nicely owned

Dead_Meat 18 Mar 2007 15:49

The various parties are estimated to spend over two billion on the next election campaign.

Asteroid or another G.W. Bush? maybe we should nominate DDA as a candidate on the promise he won't spend a penny on advertising and will make posting shit on GD a capital offence.

jt25man 18 Mar 2007 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
maybe we should nominate DDA as a candidate on the promise he won't spend a penny on advertising and will make posting shit on GD a capital offence.

That would effectively put 90 percent of GD posters on death row though.

Dead_Meat 18 Mar 2007 19:26

and the downside is....?

Nadar 18 Mar 2007 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan

Someone threw away the key to the oil fund, so that's a no go.