Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What book are you reading now? (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=198206)

G.K Zhukov 28 Sep 2009 22:36

What book are you reading now?

I'm just finished with "Mugabe" by David Smith & Colin Simpson (1981).

Mzyxptlk 28 Sep 2009 22:52

Re: What book are you reading now?

I just finished The Forest by Edward Rutherfurd, my next one will be something by Raymond E. Feist.

Tomkat 29 Sep 2009 00:03

I'm reading Arsène Lupin by Maurice Leblanc

gzambo 29 Sep 2009 01:00

rhino what you did last summer by paul howard

Zygon 29 Sep 2009 01:40

Reading that new Dan Brown (shite). Reading The Two Towers. Reading Patrick Robinson, USS Seawolf

SilverSmoke 29 Sep 2009 16:53

The God Delusion by Dawkins and Postwar: a History of Europe Since 1945 by Tony Judt

recently finished A Short history of nearly everything by Bryson, Paris: 1919 by MacMillan and Churchill by Shaffner.

Gabriel 29 Sep 2009 20:25

David Mitchell Ghostwritten, love it

Yahwe 29 Sep 2009 21:47

The Life of Apollonius of Tyana by Philostratus

pablissimo 30 Sep 2009 07:55

The Neutronium Alchemist by Peter F Hamilton, after whatever the hell the first one was called. And looking for more space-opera style suggestions after it, if anyone has any good ones

ChubbyChecker 30 Sep 2009 14:50

I've just finished Winter: A Berlin Family, 1899 - 1945 by Len Deighton.
It doesn't really go in depth into the history as the book mainly concentrates on the (mostly personal) lives of the characters involved. Still a good read though.

I'm about to start Matter by Iain M. Banks. I've heard it's not very good but it's the only Culture novel I haven't read yet so I figured I'd give it a go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pablissimo (Post 3182391)
The Neutronium Alchemist by Peter F Hamilton, after whatever the hell the first one was called. And looking for more space-opera style suggestions after it, if anyone has any good ones

The Naked God is book 3, in case you didn't know there was a book 3 :) I'm planning to get around to reading that series eventually. What did you think of the first two books?

rUl3r 30 Sep 2009 22:06

Just finished Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice a day or two ago, unsure what I´ll read next. Got another Anne Rice vampire story here, but feel like I need a change.

Pommeh 1 Oct 2009 00:11

I just finished Trudi Canavans - Age of the Five series.

Just started on Stephen Donaldson - Lord Foul's Bane.

pablissimo 1 Oct 2009 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker (Post 3182412)
I've just finished Winter: A Berlin Family, 1899 - 1945 by Len Deighton.
It doesn't really go in depth into the history as the book mainly concentrates on the (mostly personal) lives of the characters involved. Still a good read though.

I'm about to start Matter by Iain M. Banks. I've heard it's not very good but it's the only Culture novel I haven't read yet so I figured I'd give it a go.

The Naked God is book 3, in case you didn't know there was a book 3 :) I'm planning to get around to reading that series eventually. What did you think of the first two books?

Half-way through the second at the minute but I got straight into it. Found the first to be a bit of a slow burner until about half-way through but it certainly picked up pace and I'm glad that the second didn't do the same thing but was a pretty much direct continuation of the story.

Also, Matter isn't the best Culture novel I'd agree, but it does bring the other Involved races into the spotlight a bit which was good. It's also the only Culture book that I've not been disappointed with ending-wise - some of them have annoyed me for teasing a big finale but ultimately ending quite anticlimactically.

Hicks 2 Oct 2009 00:24

I’m reading two. Battle Cry of Freedom is about the American Civil War, it’s very good and accessible about a period of history I knew nothing about. The first third is devoted to the background and causes, I’d defiantly recommend it if anyone is interested in that period. The second is a bad Sci-Fi book called The Reality Dysfunction, it’s not horrible bad but the main character has slept with about half the galaxy, it's worse than a Mills & Boon book.

pablissimo 2 Oct 2009 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hicks (Post 3182482)
The second is a bad Sci-Fi book called The Reality Dysfunction, it’s not horrible bad but the main character has slept with about half the galaxy, it's worse than a Mills & Boon book.

It gets better.

morrow 2 Oct 2009 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pablissimo (Post 3182391)

You could try (in this order)

The Golden Age
The Phoenix Exultant
The Golden Transcendance

by John. C. Wright.

Texan 11 Oct 2009 00:44

Winds of Dune by Kevin Anderson and Franks Herbert's son.

Ninja_spammer 11 Oct 2009 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by pablissimo (Post 3182493)
It gets better.

And then he seduces the barely legal daughter of his business partner, not to mention Quinn and his massive 'flesh sword', gangbangs and undead homosexual
rape dwarf.

They are really good books though Al Capone, Space Emperor.

Illuvatar 11 Oct 2009 17:56

Eminem - Whatever you say I am

Antoninus Pius 13 Oct 2009 13:09

I’m halfway through the book of Genesis & there’s no mention of Phil Collins yet?

henrythomas 16 Oct 2009 10:23

Well I have reading comics most of the times. Currently i have reading superman series.

Paisley 16 Oct 2009 16:34

I am re-reading the Art of War by Sun Tzu

Alessio 16 Oct 2009 17:33

Rhetoric by Aristotle

Alezzar 16 Oct 2009 21:16

2010: Odyssey Two - Arthur C Clarke - classic.

pyirt 16 Oct 2009 21:51

Two books: "The Colditz Myth" and "How to live a low-carbon life"

All Systems Go 24 Oct 2009 23:04

Bad Science - Ben Goldacre

G.K Zhukov 25 Oct 2009 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyirt (Post 3182903)
Two books: "The Colditz Myth" and "How to live a low-carbon life"

So how do we live a low-carbon life?

dda 1 Nov 2009 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe (Post 3182365)
The Life of Apollonius of Tyana by Philostratus

Is this a Romantic Novel? Detective fiction? I haven't seen it on the news stand.

However, I like the title. I like apples.

Princeps Fury by Butcher

Antoninus Pius 18 Feb 2010 00:06

Simon Scarrow's Centurion series is tickling me at the moment. Nice light escapism with a knob of history. Nice.

Yahwe 18 Feb 2010 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda (Post 3183795)
Is this a Romantic Novel? Detective fiction? I haven't seen it on the news stand.

However, I like the title. I like apples.

Princeps Fury by Butcher

sorry i missed this.

the edition i have is published by what is called the loeb classical library which is something to do with a modern university in your country called harvard or somesuch.

I feel as red faced as the last time i had to thank cadiz for preserving aristotle from those pesky fanatical christians.

Kurashima 18 Feb 2010 13:07

"The Complaints" by Ian Rankin

Was given it for christmas but just got round to reading it.

Its slow paced for a Rankin novel , and I sense he needs a Rebus type character in every novel now to focus his storytelling , as the last few novels have kinda left me cold, with unlikeable/unsympathetic main characters and endings which read like a badly written Hollywood movie.

Hopefully it improves over the next few chapters.

Aryn 21 Feb 2010 07:30

finished 'the constant princess' by philippa gregory
reading 'the book of the dead' by patricia cornwall
next i want to read 'pride and prejudice and zombies' by seth grahame-smith (and jane austen)

Gate 22 Feb 2010 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov (Post 3183429)
So how do we live a low-carbon life?

The most low carbon life is one that ends quickly. Preferably in a low carbon way, like an FSC certified crossbow bolt.

I'm reading '1812: Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow' by Zamoyski, 'Chapterhouse Dune' by Herbert and 'The Physics of Solar Cells' by Nelson. Turns out that being cold and hungry is pretty bad. So is being chased across the galaxy by dominatrices, or eating cadmium telluride.

I take it we've all read A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin? It's brilliant. And handles its idealistic characters with a good dose of realism.

lokken 23 Feb 2010 02:23

I'm reading Homicide by David Simon.

It's been a good read but Simon's writing style is a bit heavy at times.

Gate 3 Mar 2010 16:03

TV adaption of George R R Martin's A Game of Thrones has been greenlighted by HBO.

Awesome!

JonnyBGood 3 Mar 2010 16:53

I'm reading Thomas Hardy's Far From The Madding Crowd and a book on the 2008 US Presidential election. (I read the first one when I'm going somewhere as the second one is too big to fit in a pocket or anything comfortably.)

And even I've read a song of ice and fire! Stupid old guy taking 15 years to write 2 books I hope you ****ing die.

Yahwe 3 Mar 2010 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood (Post 3189147)
I'm reading Thomas Hardy's Far From The Madding Crowd and a book on the 2008 US Presidential election. (I read the first one when I'm going somewhere as the second one is too big to fit in a pocket or anything comfortably.)

And even I've read a song of ice and fire! Stupid old guy taking 15 years to write 2 books I hope you ****ing die.

I've never known anyone who voluntarily read hardy - are you trying to counterbalance an accidental leak of prozac into your drinking water ?

JonnyBGood 3 Mar 2010 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe (Post 3189153)
I've never known anyone who voluntarily read hardy - are you trying to counterbalance an accidental leak of prozac into your drinking water ?

I find him rather amusing at times.

Quote:

As far as could be learnt it appeared that the poor young dog, still under the impression that since he was kept for running after sheep, the more he ran after them the better, had at the end of his meal off the dead lamb, which may have given him additional energy and spirits, collected all the ewes into a corner, driven the timid creatures through the hedge, across the upper field, and by main force of worrying had given them momentum enough to break down a portion of the rotten railing, and so hurled them over the edge.

George's son had done his work so thoroughly that he was considered too good a workman to live, and was, in fact, taken and tragically shot at twelve o'clock that same day -- another instance of the untoward fate which so often attends dogs and other philosophers who follow out a train of reasoning to its logical conclusion, and attempt perfectly consistent conduct in a world made up so largely of compromise.

meonplanet 5 Mar 2010 12:07

I'm reading Dear John by Nicholas Sparks. :salute:

Razock 13 Mar 2010 09:51

Reading 2 books atm: The greatest show on earth - Richard Dawkins
and History of Philosophy - Hans Joachim Storig

Gate 13 Mar 2010 11:28

Farlander by Col Buchanan (review copy). Surprisingly good, it's got me gripped.

Cool it by Bjorn Lomborg. Reasonable approach, tends to concentrate on low end estimates and spends lots of time covering old ground. He's pointing me in the direction of interesting papers though.

SilverSmoke 13 Mar 2010 11:51

Recently finished Kershaw's Hitler biography, right now I'm busy with The Cambridge History of American foreign relations volume IV - America in the Age of Soviet Power, 1945-1991 by Warren I. Cohen and Inside the Kremlin's Cold War - From Stalin to Krushchev by Vladislav Zubok and Constantine Pleshakov.

isildurx 13 Mar 2010 16:34

I actually haven't read A song of ice and fire.

I am currently reading Murakami's Kafka on the beach

Gate 13 Mar 2010 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by isildurx (Post 3189625)
I actually haven't read A song of ice and fire.

Every geek should.

It's sort of ruined other fantasy for me though. No author author manages half a dozen+ PoV characters with such elan.

isildurx 13 Mar 2010 18:48

No way I start on such a series before it's been finished by the author. Not doing another Wheel of time mistake.

Kelvin 10 Apr 2014 04:39

I am currently reading The Quick By Lauren Owen.

Appocomaster 11 Apr 2014 11:43

I'm reading Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. It's getting tense now, 11 books in (plus all the relevant short stories from "Side Jobs"). NEED MORE.

Mzyxptlk 11 Apr 2014 13:15

I'm working my way through a bunch of Pratchetts. Been a while since I read those, and I need a break from super serious fiction for a bit.

Reincarnate 11 Apr 2014 16:57

i am (re)reading David Gemmell's 'The Swords of Night and Day'

Amport 16 Apr 2014 07:36

Just purchased The Road By Cormac McCarthy.