Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Year-ish out. (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=190784)

Proxi 5 May 2006 11:09

Year-ish out.

So I just found out that I have to repeat this year in uni, after failing a vital module :( However, determined to look on the bright side of things I come to GD for assistance in filling a year which proves to be somewhat empty.

The thing is, I have passed all my other modules so far, and am still to take the tests this month for the rest. So if I repeat, I'll only have one module for a whole year, and it doesnt even start 'till November :rolleyes:

Basically i'm looking for a time filler, there are a number of options on the board already and there are pros and cons to each one.
I'll point out that I cant go travelling sadly, as I already put down a deposit on a new student house with a lease for a year (ouch £200) so bear that in mind if you're making a suggestion. (I dont mind going away for ~months but best not to make it too long if possible)

So I was thinking:
  • Get a job

This could be as a civil servant or in a bank temporarily or some such. Currently I work in Tesco part time, so I suppose I could ask for full time hours in the meantime, but I want to retain a part of my soul for later life.

• Get incredibly fit

At the minute I would be around average fitness, so I was thinking about getting back into training properly and becoming fit again.

...Er thats it im afraid!
Please save me from wasting this 'oppertunity' (thinking happy thoughts!) GD!
Any and all suggestions are most welcome.

KoeN 5 May 2006 11:30

Re: Year-ish out.

i once had a year like that as well and decided to fill it up with online games and playing hockey 5/6 times a week. now i regret i didn't do modules for later years then. could have made some money too, which would come out handy now...

so i'd go for the job. 20h a week or so, not more.

Appocomaster 5 May 2006 11:32

Yes, go for the job or more education!

hyfe 5 May 2006 11:43

or just goof off.

Appocomaster 5 May 2006 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyfe
or just goof off.

You're as much use as a chocolate spoon

KaneED 5 May 2006 12:11

Chocolate spoon tastes good, but useless :(

JonnyBGood 5 May 2006 12:19

Write a novel.

Yahwe 5 May 2006 12:23

experiment with gay sex

Proxi 5 May 2006 12:51

Although this could be fun, I doubt it would take up a full year.

Edit: I actually quite like the 'write a novel' suggestion from JBG, 'tho im sure if he was taking the piss or not :(

I like writing :up:

Yahwe 5 May 2006 12:53

how tall are you?

JonnyBGood 5 May 2006 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proxi
Edit: I actually quite like the 'write a novel' suggestion from JBG, 'tho im sure if he was taking the piss or not :(

I'm not sure either :(

Proxi 5 May 2006 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
how tall are you?

6'2" I think. Why?

JonnyBGood 5 May 2006 13:45

Not to butt in in this thread (I'm sure yahwe and proxi will be doing enough of that for all of us) but have you figured out how to get on the forums from work yahwe? Or did you take the day off you lazy swine?

Dotatrix 5 May 2006 14:01

Do both.

Appocomaster 5 May 2006 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proxi
6'2" I think. Why?

Maybe he meant "how high is your ass off the floor?"
That's a far more sensible question. Maybe when you're asked for your height in gay bars, it means precisely that.

Tomkat 5 May 2006 14:59

You can have my cancer so I can free up some spare time.

pyirt 5 May 2006 15:20

Go for the job. The extra money will always come in handy.

IncubusGod 5 May 2006 16:20

I had the very same thing happen to me, I just lazed about for a month and enjoyed myself, then got a job. Saved up a bunch 'o money then pissed off abroad when the classes were over.
Getting quite fit sounds good too, cause it'll probably be the first thing to slip once you get a proper job.

Dante Hicks 5 May 2006 16:23

I would personally do something that would stay with you once the period is over. 'Getting fit' is all well and good, but if you don't keep it up, what's the point?

If you do something which will last (or at least, last for longer) like learning a language as T&F says or a martial art then at least when you're thirty you'll still have something to "show" for it rather than boring people with the story of how you used to be strong/fast/whatever.

SYMM 5 May 2006 22:18

I would get a full-time job doing something that's not totally shit, do your fitness gubbins, and then in feb/march sometime, when you'll have saved up some cash, but before you need to start thinking about the exam, go travelling for a month.
Then make sure you put enough work into the module that you get a decent mark out of it- if you're-doing it, there's really no excuse not to.

Yahwe 6 May 2006 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Not to butt in in this thread (I'm sure yahwe and proxi will be doing enough of that for all of us) but have you figured out how to get on the forums from work yahwe? Or did you take the day off you lazy swine?

the lord god invented lunch hours. then in his infinite wisdom he combined them with a 2 minute 'commute'

EDIT: i wouldn't even try accessing the boards from work. too much to do you see

Chunderbunny 8 May 2006 00:59

Come to Japan, and earn 1250 quid a month doing nothing but speaking English, many of the students being cute girls who have some kind of fetish about western men.

Did I mention you can't legally work more than 35ish hours a week?

(on another note, does anyone have any idea why I've been g-lined from IRC for spamming? I've just back from holiday and I can't connect....)

pablissimo 8 May 2006 01:11

Jeekay's a jackass or something, it tallies with some guy from some years back who probably existed and might have been a clown*

*Edit: I didn't make sexual advances

Proxi 8 May 2006 02:35

Something to do with someone putting an asterisk where it shouldnt have been in a command line, and managing to ban everyone in one fell swoop.
The resistance is co-ordinating on the PA discussion forums as we speak, even though IRC appears to be back now, it is obvious we can no longer trust the foul thing, and must whipser our dark ideas on message boards, public though they may be.
Vive La Resistance!