Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   World Cup Prediction Thread (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=198698)

Scott 24 May 2010 11:50

World Cup Prediction Thread

Semi Finals -

England v Brazil - Spain v Germany

Final - England v Germany

Winner - ENGLAND!!!!

SantaCruz 24 May 2010 19:10

Re: Round 37 predictions thread

italia!!!!! REPEAT

neroon 25 May 2010 07:24

mark my words, Spain is gonna bag it!

Veedeejem! 25 May 2010 07:55

Uruguay for suprise win of the century!

VampiriA 25 May 2010 09:45

Re: World Cup Prediction Thread

Argentina Brazil Spain Holland
will go to 1/2 Finals

and i think it will be a surprise win for Argentina!!

( Although i am a Dutch Fan personally )

Kjeldoran 25 May 2010 10:06

I do hope Spain wins it. Purely looking at quality, Spain has the best player (or nearly the best) on every position in the game ...

On the other hand, Argentina has a strong squad aswell (but a shit coach) and England are extremely strong aswell. Brazil will be a failure, just like Italy and France.

Germany will always reach semi finals. I'm also a fan of the Dutch squad, every country would dream of their offensive power. But sadly enough, they're not consistent enough and their defence isn't top.

Veedeejem! 25 May 2010 10:15

Doubt Holland will even reach the semi finals, they have a strong team and will most likely dominate the group stages but usually after that the dutch squad falls apart, too many ego's, too overconfident, ...

Though I hope for my friendly neighbours to the north that i'm wrong :)

HUP HOLLAND HUP!

Kjeldoran 25 May 2010 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veedeejem! (Post 3193407)
Doubt Holland will even reach the semi finals, they have a strong team and will most likely dominate the group stages but usually after that the dutch squad falls apart, too many ego's, too overconfident, ...

Though I hope for my friendly neighbours to the north that i'm wrong :)

HUP HOLLAND HUP!

We will own the WC in 2100 right ??? :-)

Paisley 25 May 2010 10:50

certainly a good few contenders.

Spain and Holland are arguably the best teams that have still yet to win the world cup.
Cant rule out the germans and the argentines are in with a shout.

But I will go for a Mars bar supper when England get put out as per 2006.

isildurx 25 May 2010 11:50

Surprised noone is rating Brazil very highly. They have a very very good squad, and arguably the best defensive-unit in the world. As long as the likes of Kaka and Luis Fabiano avoid injuries I would not be surprised to see them winning it yet again.

Kjeldoran 25 May 2010 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by isildurx (Post 3193419)
Surprised noone is rating Brazil very highly. They have a very very good squad, and arguably the best defensive-unit in the world. As long as the likes of Kaka and Luis Fabiano avoid injuries I would not be surprised to see them winning it yet again.

Kaka has one of his worst seasons in the past 5 years. And unlike previous years, Brazil doesn't really have world star players. Fabiano is good, but it's no Torres, Rooney or Villa. Also Robinho didn't have his best season either.

Maicon however is pure class, that I have to admit.

I don't know, I don't think Brazil will be playing the finals.

isildurx 25 May 2010 12:17

Wait and see, Brazil will gring out so many 1-0 and 2-0 wins.

I agree that Spain has the best team on paper, but they have injury worries surrounding a number of their biggest stars and I have a feeling that the long season they have been through can take a bigger toll on them than it will on Brazil's players.

Kjeldoran 25 May 2010 12:23

Brazilian players had an equally long season. Only players such as Iniesta, Xavi and Puyol had more matches, due to the CL. But so has Maicon for instance.

I vote for Spain, I like their game.

Veedeejem! 25 May 2010 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjeldoran (Post 3193409)
We will own the WC in 2100 right ??? :-)

We'll win in 2018! :banana:

Kjeldoran 25 May 2010 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veedeejem! (Post 3193423)
We'll win in 2018! :banana:

Yeah, atleast we won't have to qualify for it then, assuming we can organize it :D

Veedeejem! 25 May 2010 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjeldoran (Post 3193426)
Yeah, atleast we won't have to qualify for it then, assuming we can organize it :D

Think I heard somewhere that the fifa was gonna change the auto qualify rule for country's organising. If it were 2 countries organising together only 1 would be autoqualified (probably the stronger team).
So even if we do manage to organise it with holland, I doubt we'll see the Belgian players anywhere except in the stands watching...

(If i remember correct that is)

HeimdallR 25 May 2010 13:16

Well one of the two will go to australia for sure, the other one will go to belgium and holland.

Seems to me Spain, england and Russia are doing a good job handing it over to us on a silver platter.

As for the WC2010 I would put my money on Spain or Argentina.
As outsider Ivory coast.

And according to the times 2014 will go to Belgium :banana:

Scott 25 May 2010 14:31

Here is what what the probably run in to the semis will be. Then I hope England will get Germany in the final :D!

Last 16

Saturday, June 26
1. France vs. Nigeria South Korea Greece
3. England vs. Australia/Ghana

Sunday, June 27
2. Argentina vs. Mexico
4. Germany vs. USA

Monday, June 28
5. Holland vs. Paraguay
7. Brazil vs. Chile

Tuesday, June 29
6. Italy vs. Cameroon
8. Spain vs. Portugal

Quarter Finals

Friday, July 2
A. France vs. England
C. Holland vs. Bazil

Saturday, July 3
B. Argentina vs. Germany
D. Italy vs. Spain

Semi-Finals

Tuesday, July 6
England vs. Brazil

Wednesday, July 7
Germany/Argentina vs. Spain

Sun_Tzu 25 May 2010 18:35

It seems rather obvious up until who gets into the quarter finals, so I'll start from the semi-finals:

Semi-Finals:

France vs. Brazil

Argentina vs. Italy

Final:

Brazil vs. Italy

Winner: Italy

This all hinges on Italy getting their defense working again, but assuming they do, their style of play is a lot more solid than most others, and consistency will be their advantage.

Kaiba 25 May 2010 20:19

im shocked ppl are rating Argentina so highly - there were abismal in qualifying - scraped through in last game - there coach is pants and they have left 2 of there better players (cambiasso and zanetti) at home. THey will struggle to get past second round imo - ok Messi is great but 1 man doesnt make a team - they may even struggle to get out there group as it is.

Brazil will do better than some ppl expect aswell - Dunga as turned them into a winning team who doesnt concede - rather than a skills and tricks we will score 1 more than you side

England will prolly fail miserably but have one of the strongest squads on paper - just please dont take Walcott - hes pants!!!!

Scott 25 May 2010 20:36

Attacking wise they have one of the strongest squads I suppose, Messi, Higuani, Aguaro and Milito!

isildurx 25 May 2010 21:22

While defensively they have one of the weaker squads...

_Kila_ 25 May 2010 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun_Tzu (Post 3193454)
It seems rather obvious up until who gets into the quarter finals, so I'll start from the semi-finals:

Semi-Finals:

France vs. Brazil

Argentina vs. Italy

Final:

Brazil vs. Italy

Winner: Italy

This all hinges on Italy getting their defense working again, but assuming they do, their style of play is a lot more solid than most others, and consistency will be their advantage.

I really can't see Italy beating Argentina or Brazil, let alone dumping Spain out in the quarter final. They did get them to penalties in 08 without Pirlo but the spanish players have only improved since, whilst the Italians are just getting old. Brazil v Spain final imo (would be best to watch)

HeimdallR 26 May 2010 01:57

Ivory coast is a serious contender, if they can keep there feet to the ground.

Kjeldoran 26 May 2010 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiba (Post 3193457)
im shocked ppl are rating Argentina so highly - there were abismal in qualifying - scraped through in last game - there coach is pants and they have left 2 of there better players (cambiasso and zanetti) at home. THey will struggle to get past second round imo - ok Messi is great but 1 man doesnt make a team - they may even struggle to get out there group as it is.

Brazil will do better than some ppl expect aswell - Dunga as turned them into a winning team who doesnt concede - rather than a skills and tricks we will score 1 more than you side

England will prolly fail miserably but have one of the strongest squads on paper - just please dont take Walcott - hes pants!!!!

Messi, Milito, Higuain ... they all seem to hit the target without much dificulties. And then they still have Tevez and Aguero on the bench. I agree that their coach is pants.

Kjeldoran 26 May 2010 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 3193458)
Attacking wise they have one of the strongest squads I suppose, Messi, Higuani, Aguaro and Milito!

Tevez aswell.

Kjeldoran 26 May 2010 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Kila_ (Post 3193474)
I really can't see Italy beating Argentina or Brazil, let alone dumping Spain out in the quarter final. They did get them to penalties in 08 without Pirlo but the spanish players have only improved since, whilst the Italians are just getting old. Brazil v Spain final imo (would be best to watch)

A final between Spain and Brazil isn't technically possible. As both teams will meet eachother before semi finals, no matter if they 1st or 2nd in their group.

qebab 26 May 2010 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjeldoran (Post 3193489)
A final between Spain and Brazil isn't technically possible. As both teams will meet eachother before semi finals, no matter if they 1st or 2nd in their group.

Are you sure about that?

I'm pretty sure they actually can't meet earlier than the final if they both win their group.

Spain is in group H and Brazil is in group G or the other way around.

Kjeldoran 26 May 2010 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by qebab (Post 3193492)
Are you sure about that?

I'm pretty sure they actually can't meet earlier than the final if they both win their group.

Spain is in group H and Brazil is in group G or the other way around.

It's what I got told, could be wrong. I don't know.

_Kila_ 26 May 2010 12:30

winners of group G and H are on different sides of the draw. They'll have to play each other in the round of 16 if one wins their group and the other is the runner up though

Gate 26 May 2010 16:18

Spain are the best team on paper and I can't see too far past them or Brazil. Maradona's shit, so I'm not too worried about the Argies.

After that I reckon England have finally got a genuine chance. So my real bet is on us getting knocked out by Germany on penalties and the Germans lifting the cup. Because that's how it happens.

lokken 26 May 2010 21:56

Brazil look awesome. Solid system, better than most teams but absolutely brilliant on the counter, they're very good defensively and pretty ruthless going forward.

Kjeldoran 27 May 2010 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken (Post 3193545)
Brazil look awesome. Solid system, better than most teams but absolutely brilliant on the counter, they're very good defensively and pretty ruthless going forward.

It's been rather quiet around the Brazilian team. They don't have any real "worldstar" in their team which they had the previous editions (Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos). And we all saw how that turned out in 1998 and 2006 :-)

So perhaps you're right. Now they have more a "team" rather then a bunch of celebs.

isildurx 27 May 2010 08:57

They have a lot of truly brilliant players though. As it stands currently the only players fitting your "worldstar" would be Rooney, Messi, and C.Ronaldo though.

Kjeldoran 27 May 2010 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by isildurx (Post 3193566)
They have a lot of truly brilliant players though. As it stands currently the only players fitting your "worldstar" would be Rooney, Messi, and C.Ronaldo though.

Roony, Messi, Ronaldo, Drogba, Xavi, Iniesta, Casillas. Each of them by far the best on their position. And yes, Brazil has some brilliant players, but I do rate the above mentionned players higher then the likes of Robinho or Fabiano :)

isildurx 27 May 2010 09:32

"By far the best in their position", lol :(

Of course you rate them higher than Robinho and Fabiano, who wouldnt, but that's not the point. Inter didn't have any worldstars either and they won the champions league.

I'm not sure how much there is to say on the topic of Brazil. I think Lok narrowed it down very well and I wholeheartedly agree with him.

Kjeldoran 27 May 2010 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by isildurx (Post 3193570)
"By far the best in their position", lol :(

Of course you rate them higher than Robinho and Fabiano, who wouldnt, but that's not the point. Inter didn't have any worldstars either and they won the champions league.

I'm not sure how much there is to say on the topic of Brazil. I think Lok narrowed it down very well and I wholeheartedly agree with him.

Why lol? Could you name a better player then the ones I named, for their respective position?

Rooney, Messi, Ronaldo --> no doubts about those I think
Xavi, Iniesta --> Perhaps Lampard or Gerrard at their top? Dunno
Drogba --> Yeah ok, Rooney or Villa are better and they play on similar position
Casillas --> imo the best keeper atm. Been awarded best keeper 3 times in the last 5 years. I think he's better then Buffon or Cech atm.

Then again, that's just opinion aye. I'm very pro-spain so perhaps I'm abit biassed there

isildurx 27 May 2010 09:55

Rooney, Messi, Ronaldo, and Drogba play in close to the same position though.. so I would just say Messi is the best forward\striker.

As for Xavi and Iniesta I don't have anyone better at what the do(passing, dictating the play etc.) but certainly there are other aspects of being a midfielders that others are better at(scoring goals, tackling ++).

As for goalkeeper, this is hard to say as there are a lot of good goalkeepers out there and deciding on a 'best one' is problematic. Personally I would rate Julio Cesar, Brazil's goalkeeper, just as highly as Casillas.

Kjeldoran 27 May 2010 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by isildurx (Post 3193578)
Rooney, Messi, Ronaldo, and Drogba play in close to the same position though.. so I would just say Messi is the best forward\striker.

As for Xavi and Iniesta I don't have anyone better at what the do(passing, dictating the play etc.) but certainly there are other aspects of being a midfielders that others are better at(scoring goals, tackling ++).

As for goalkeeper, this is hard to say as there are a lot of good goalkeepers out there and deciding on a 'best one' is problematic. Personally I would rate Julio Cesar, Brazil's goalkeeper, just as highly as Casillas.

Drogba is a pure central deep striker, Messi often operates from the left/right and is rarely the deep striker (Ibra is or now Villa for Barca, and for Argentina it'll be Milito or Higuain). Rooney is more comparable with Ronaldo then with Messi :)

As for Xavi and Iniesta, both are attacking midfielders (Inieste operating from the left). Their job isn't to tackle or "defend", or atleast it's not their priority. Ofcourse for the DM position there are far better players, but both don't play on that position.

Perhaps Julio Cesar performs as highly as Casillas this season. Casillas however has been amongst the top for 10 years now, non stop. Imo he's the better keeper but ok, matter of opinion :-)

My dreamteam would be the following:

GK: Casillas
FBL: Evra (Cole as a close backup)
FBR: Maicon (with Daniel Alves and Sergio Ramos as close backup)
DC: Puyol & Terry
AML/AMR (basically attackers operating from the flanks): Iniesta and Ronaldo
MC: Xavi
DMC: Xabi alonso
Strikers: Messi a Rooney (Drogba & Higuain as backup)

isildurx 27 May 2010 10:40

This isn't the place for a discussion about 'dream team' but my dream team would naturally look relatively similar to yours just with 2-3 changes.

Kjeldoran 27 May 2010 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by isildurx (Post 3193582)
This isn't the place for a discussion about 'dream team' but my dream team would naturally look relatively similar to yours just with 2-3 changes.

It's a thread about football. Pointless to create a new one for that tbh.

isildurx 27 May 2010 10:52

Primarily, your choice of Xabi ****ing Alonso is baffling.

Kjeldoran 27 May 2010 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by isildurx (Post 3193584)
Primarily, your choice of Xabi ****ing Alonso is baffling.

For the DM position? Who else? When he left Liverpool, you realise how important he was for his team.

isildurx 27 May 2010 10:58

Dude, there are other reasons as well for why Liverpool have sucked this season.

By all means, Xabi Alonso is a fine player but there's plenty of defensive midfielders I would rather have in my team than him.

Kjeldoran 27 May 2010 11:05

Like I said, who else? I'm not dissagreeing with you by default aye. The only other one I could think of is perhaps Touré?

I'm talking about true DM aye, so no Fabregas or anything like that.

isildurx 27 May 2010 11:19

Cambiasso, Essien, Toulalan, Mascherano are some defensive midfielders I would rather have in my team than Alonso. Sure, a couple of them contribute dick all forward in the field but that's not exactly going to be needed with the forwards in your possession.

Colt 27 May 2010 11:21

mascherano, busquets, cambiasso, essien, gattuso to name a few....

edit: beaten by isil :(

Colt 27 May 2010 11:25

as far as predictions go, im going for an outside bet of England vs Argentina in final, England to lose, probably on penalties ofcourse!

Kjeldoran 27 May 2010 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by isildurx (Post 3193588)
Cambiasso, Essien, Toulalan, Mascherano are some defensive midfielders I would rather have in my team than Alonso. Sure, a couple of them contribute dick all forward in the field but that's not exactly going to be needed with the forwards in your possession.

Ahh yes, forgot about Essien and Cambiasso (probably because both aren't selected or injured). Masscherano is good, but I value Xabi Alonso higher. Good point there.

But all those you named aren't Spanish ;-)

Kjeldoran 27 May 2010 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt (Post 3193589)
mascherano, busquets, cambiasso, essien, gattuso to name a few....

edit: beaten by isil :(

Gattuso ... you got to be kidding right? He doesn't even have his spot at Milan anymore.