Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   24 years for not stopping a murder? (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=185720)

Ärketrollmannen 1 Jun 2005 17:38

24 years for not stopping a murder?

In 1981, 24 years ago, Annika Östberg and her boyfriend owed a man money. her boyfriend shot the man and Annika Östberg did nothing to prevent it. Later, when the couple was stopped by a policeman, he shot the police aswell.

This was in California, USA

They were later caught and the boyfriend hung himself.

Annika was sentenced to 25 years to life.

Now, 24 years later, Sweden, the country where she was borne want's her back. Sweden offered to take her in for the remaining years of the sentence (it would be converted to a fixed number of years). Yesterday, the state of California rejected the proposal.

I am having trouble understanding why she should still be inprisoned, maybe someone could explain it to me?

If she really should be imprisoned for, say ten more years, why can't she be imprisoned in Sweden?

A few people on this forum seem to have a understanding of americas judicial system, maybe you could shed some light over this?

Note: Sorry about crappy language, I am overly tired.

Cannon_Fodder 1 Jun 2005 17:45

Re: 24 years for not stopping a murder?

Refusing to cooperate with authorities.

Ärketrollmannen 1 Jun 2005 17:45

Pardon?

Dead_Meat 1 Jun 2005 17:52

I'm guessing that if she wasn't under duress, then she was a party to manslaughter because she did nothing to stop it and thus must be partly responsible.

Lupin 1 Jun 2005 17:53

she should still be in prison because her sentence was about 25 years and not 24 :confused:

i dont know why she cant be the last year in prison of her home country.

and i also dont know why the swedish government cant no longer wait until she is out of prison.

Ärketrollmannen 1 Jun 2005 17:57

She didn't have a gun pointing at her head or anything, but I guess the entire situation might count as duress, I mean the boyfriend DID kill someone, and then you are expected to step betwean a police officer and the gunman?

Do you consider the sentence excessive? Aparently she agreed to plead guilty to avoid the death penalty.

Do you think she would have been treated THAT severe if her boyfriend hadn't comitted suicide?

Yahwe 1 Jun 2005 18:02

maybe

juuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssttttttttttt

maybe

we don't have all the facts

ChubbyChecker 1 Jun 2005 18:03

Maybe she was convicted of being an accessory to murder.

Obliterate 1 Jun 2005 18:04

Why do the swedish government actually care? Surely they should even be happy that she's in prison in the USA, as they don't have to pay for it :confused:

25 years is probably a bit harsh though.

All Systems Go 1 Jun 2005 18:05

It's like accessory to murder I suppose. If she had just watched a stranger kill someone then it would have been different.

Under British law (taking a risk here) you are under no obligation to prevent a crime or even help someone who is dying if they are not under legally under your care.

Lupin 1 Jun 2005 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ärketrollmannen
She didn't have a gun pointing at her head or anything, but I guess the entire situation might count as duress, I mean the boyfriend DID kill someone, and then you are expected to step betwean a police officer and the gunman?

Do you consider the sentence excessive? Aparently she agreed to plead guilty to avoid the death penalty.

Do you think she would have been treated THAT severe if her boyfriend hadn't comitted suicide?

what yahwe said.

but yes 25 years for not activley killing an officer is in my eyes extreme.

Ärketrollmannen 1 Jun 2005 18:09

@Lupin: The Swedish government has been battling for quite a long time to bring her home, this is just another step in that fight. And it is 25 to life, wich means she might spend another 40 years in California. (As I understand it)

@Yahwe: Ofcourse we don't (I haven't read the verdict) but it seems fairly simple. She was convicted of assisting in both murders by not stopping them. She got her sentence. Many other convicts are sent home to do their time here instead. She has been noted for good behaviour. She studies and train blinddogs. There shouldn't be any extra reasons for letting her spend the rest of her life in that Californian Jail.

@ She was convicted for helping her boyfriend by not stopping him.

Ärketrollmannen 1 Jun 2005 18:16

Adding

@Obliterate: Because Swedish prisons are comfy.

@All Systems Go: I am actually not against the guilty verdict. My problem is mainly with the length of the sentence. 25 years for murder would be pretty long. 25 years for aiding a murderer?

I am not sure what the laws are concerning "walking past the little kid who is drowning in the puddle of water" but I do believe it is illegal, as long as you can save him without risking your own life.

Nantoz 1 Jun 2005 18:17

I think you mean "leading dogs", not "blinddogs", söta bror.

Ärketrollmannen 1 Jun 2005 18:20

heh lol, well guide dogs or whatever. Not Blind Dogs anyway.

All Systems Go 1 Jun 2005 18:21

Re: Adding

Quote:

@All Systems Go: I am actually not against the guilty verdict. My problem is mainly with the length of the sentence. 25 years for murder would be pretty long. 25 years for aiding a murderer?

I am not sure what the laws are concerning "walking past the little kid who is drowning in the puddle of water" but I do believe it is illegal, as long as you can save him without risking your own life.

It does seem pretty long, but if she was a willing partner in the whole affair then she is just as guilty as the guy who pulled the trigger.

About the little kid thing, I don't think you legally have to do anything here by law, but I'm not sure. I'm sure a certain lawyer may soon provide us with an adequate explanation of that particular area of his profession.

Yahwe 1 Jun 2005 18:30

Quote:

@Yahwe: Ofcourse we don't (I haven't read the verdict) but it seems fairly simple. She was convicted of assisting in both murders by not stopping them. She got her sentence. Many other convicts are sent home to do their time here instead. She has been noted for good behaviour. She studies and train blinddogs. There shouldn't be any extra reasons for letting her spend the rest of her life in that Californian Jail.

everything seems simple at first.

as people have pointed out there is a difference between 'not stopping' and 'assisting'

frankly this is a situation where you don't have any facts or details.

you are getting overly excited by a situation you don't understand.

may i advise you to stop until you have details.

If it is your nations media coverage that is getting you all excited about this then may i also caution you as to the reliability and depth of media coverage.

I am sure you would prefer this to be 'one poor miss treated swedish woman v the big evil united states'

but the truth is we simply don't know

Nusselt 1 Jun 2005 18:39

I think the sentence (time) is very harsh, but in line with the chapelle corby case this appears to be a populist press angling to get nasty against another country. As far as we know she recieved a fair trial. Im not sure why the victim's familys are allowed to make submissions to the appeal board, the sentence has already been served, justice has been done id say she should be judged according to who she is now without emotional submissions from that family.

Anyway the problem seems to be the length of the sentence and whether she should be allowed free rather than her original guilt or innocence.

edit/

i was reading this

http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?I...&date=20050601

Dead_Meat 1 Jun 2005 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
If it is your nations media coverage that is getting you all excited about this then may i also caution you as to the reliability and depth of media coverage.

Remember, not much happens in Sweden/Norway.

Tactitus 1 Jun 2005 19:05

Quote:

I don't know what exactly she did, but it probably falls under the category of 'accessory after the fact' (e.g., knowingly helping a criminal evade arrest). It's possible that she knew about his intent before hand (she would then be an 'accessory before the fact') and she should have gone to the police. I don't think anyone expected her to leap in front of the gun and shield the policeman with her body, but otoh you can't just ride around with your boyfriend on his shooting spree and claim you weren't involved.
Quote:

Accessory to murder is a serious crime. :/
Quote:

I don't think that has anything to do with it, although if he would have testified that she didn't help him in any way it might have strengthened her case (assuming she had a case).

With respect to having her serve a fixed sentence in Sweden, a '25 years to life' sentence means that she's eligible for parole after 25 years. It's up to a parole board to determine if and when she can be released. If she were transferred to a Swedish prison then I don't see how they could make that determination. Maybe there's a way to transfer parole responsibility--I don't know.

All that aside, I don't see any reason in principle why she shouldn't be allowed to serve her sentence in Sweden. The US has prisoner transfer agreements with most European countries.

Alki 1 Jun 2005 19:11

maybe they are setting an example of her /me shrugs

Dead_Meat 1 Jun 2005 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
everything seems simple at first.

as people have pointed out there is a difference between 'not stopping' and 'assisting'

frankly this is a situation where you don't have any facts or details.

you are getting overly excited by a situation you don't understand.

may i advise you to stop until you have details.

I am sure you would prefer this to be 'one poor miss treated swedish woman v the big evil united states'

but the truth is we simply don't know

Want to know the whole sordid story, of drugs, child abuse, tragedy, happniess and sadness, then read this

Also, I thought the very least this thread deserved was some pcitures, but sadly, it seems she's not much of a looker, so she may as well stay in prison.

Here she is
Here she is again

Yahwe 1 Jun 2005 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
Want to know the whole sordid story, of drugs, child abuse, tragedy, happniess and sadness, then read this

we need facts and details

not more emotive rubbish

Ärketrollmannen 1 Jun 2005 20:03

@Yahwe: I do not think she is a poor mistreated woman. She was judged according to the laws of the country she was in. She had a fair trial (at least I haven't seen anything pointing to a bad one) and she has served most of her sentence. My main cause for posting here was to get more information on how stuff like this normally is handled, and since I am not a lawyer, and I am not an american, I tried to see if any lawyers or americans could reply.

I find it strange that she received such a severe sentence, considering she didn't actually kill anyone, but that is based on my background. People whoa ctually commit murders in Sweden, will not get sentenced to 25 years in prison. It just seems kind of absurd to me.

@Alki: No I don't think, I actually don't know how famous this case is in america.

@Tactitus: It wasn't a shooting spree. He murdered one person in cold blood, and freaked and killed another at a latter point. I also believe that aiding a murderer IS a serious crime. I just don't agree on the sentence. She was also, acording to the site Dead_Meat posted eligible for parole after 17 years. Obviously you are not guaranted parole after 17 years, and I don't know weither or not she was involved in anything that complicated her case in the early years. I just know that she has "behaved ok" for the last couple of years.

@Nusselt: Actually the press has been fairly "nice" when discussing the case, the only really negative comments has been over the panel who decides weither or not she should be released/transferred. That a member of the victims family is allowed to be there is really...weird.

Nantoz 1 Jun 2005 20:17

It's just an example of how different countries have very differents views on how to treat criminals.
While the Americans have always seemed more interested in severe , eye-for-an-eye, punshiment, we in Scandinavia are more focused on rehabilitatiing the criminals.
Maybe we Scandies are too lenient sometimes, but on the other hand there is no doubt that the American criminal punishment is too rash at times, e.g. some of the more obscene cases of the use of "three strikes, you're out"-rule.

I disagree with you on the view that we cannot critisize other nations criminal justice, though.Most countries have abolished the death penalty, atleast for the mentaly disabled and children, but the USA stil keeps it up.
But that's not really very relevant in this case.

Ärketrollmannen 1 Jun 2005 20:26

I am not saying that we cannot critisize it. I'm just saying that I didn't find anything wrong with her being found guilty. She probably COULD have prevented the death of the policeman, if she had called the police prior to them being pulled over (he stopped them to help them with soemthing).

As you say it is a whole different culture.

All Systems Go 1 Jun 2005 20:39

Quote:

I am not saying that we cannot critisize it. I'm just saying that I didn't find anything wrong with her being found guilty. She probably COULD have prevented the death of the policeman, if she had called the police prior to them being pulled over (he stopped them to help them with soemthing).

As you say it is a whole different culture.

I doubt she could have stopped it, unless she wanted to ris getting shot herself. I think the problem is whether or not she KNEW he was going to kill the original guy. then she did not report either murder so she is helping him. that is enough.

acropolis 1 Jun 2005 20:43

i wonder how many posts this thread can become without anyone saying, or even linking to something that says

what she is even charged with.

anyhoo couple thoughts, maybe helpful maybe not:
A) killing cops in america is about the worst idea ever in terms of leniency (raping kids will get you murdered in prison, but the legal system won't care too much)
B) swedes don't vote in america. americans don't get swedish media. so no one here cares what the swedes think. for anyone to be bothered enough to make something happen in this case, it has to be a media issue here (or she has to have friends here).

Kaal Satori 1 Jun 2005 21:01

Someone in North Carolina got 30 years for stealing a television. He just got out of jail last week.

Crazy world.

Stew 1 Jun 2005 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaal Satori
Someone in North Carolina got 30 years for stealing a television. He just got out of jail last week.

It was a black and white set. Just imagine if it was colour.

Dead_Meat 1 Jun 2005 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by acropolis
i wonder how many posts this thread can become without anyone saying, or even linking to something that says.

what she is even charged with.

I'd say about 22.

acropolis 1 Jun 2005 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
I'd say about 22.

"After the death of Bob Cox, Annika's lawyer suggested a plea bargain. Rather than going through with the trial after Bob Cox' (Collins) death, she suggested that Annika plead guilty to murder in the first degree. Annika was sentenced to twenty-five years to life for two murders, which she did not commit, but in the eyes of California law, she was just as culpable as the perpetrator because she was present."

that's all well and good, but what was she actually charged with?

Implies two counts of first degree murder, but doesn't say that,

and it is entirely unclear to me how either of those murders would be 1st degree even for bob cox.

Nusselt 1 Jun 2005 22:31

She married and changed her name
Quote:

Originally Posted by some webpage, what you want specifics? i kill you now!

PAROLE DENIED FOR DEPUTY?s MURDERER. (Corona)

A Swedish woman serving a possible double-life sentence for the murder of a Lake County sheriff?s deputy was denied parole Tuesday by the California Board of Prison Terms.
Annika Maria Deasy, 47, was returned to the California Institution for Women in Corona, according to Lake County Chief Deputy District Attorney Jon Hopkins, who attended the parole hearing to speak against Deasy?s possible release. Deasy, a one-time San Francisco flower child, will next be eligible for parole in 2005.
Facing execution, she pleaded guilty in 1983 to two first-degree murder charges in connection with the shooting deaths of a retired Stockton restaurateur, Joe Torre, and Lake County sheriff?s deputy Sgt. Richard Hellbush ? the last local law enforcement official to be killed in the line of duty.
Deasy and her boyfriend William Eugene Cox met Hellbush shortly after midnight on May 2, 1981, when the car they were in ? purchased days earlier with a bad check ? broke down on the side of Highway 29 near Manning Flat. Parking in front of them, Hellbush asked the couple for identification. Deasy did not have a driver?s license, but she nonetheless followed her boyfriend?s instructions to look for one in the purse she?d left on the passenger seat. "As Sgt. Hellbush?s attention was focused on her, COX shot him once in the back of the head and three times in the back," said Hopkins. "Then she (Deasy) told COX to drag the body into the ditch so it wouldn?t be visible (from the road), and after he did that and was starting to come back to the car, she told him to get his wallet, too."
Deasy and Cox also took Hellbush?s service revolver. They then fled toward Middletown in his patrol car. COX lost control of the vehicle on Highway 175 after being chased at high speeds by a sheriff?s deputy who had come to investigate Hellbush?s radio silence. A shootout between COX and three law enforcement officials ? the sheriff?s deputy, a reserve, and a highway patrolman ? followed, during which time Deasy helped Cox reload his weapons, according to Hopkins. When Cox came out of Hellbush?s patrol car shooting, "the reserve deputy dropped him with one shot to the shoulder," Hopkins said. Deasy then disobeyed orders and went to her boyfriend, who?d fallen in a field of grass, and began feeling around for his gun. "She said they?d made a suicide pact and that they weren?t going to be taken alive," said Hopkins. "We were going for broke, we weren?t going back to jail," she said in an interview with detectives.
Because Cox had dropped his weapon near the patrol car, the couple was taken into custody without further incident. COX hanged himself in the Lake County jail while awaiting trial. Deasy, who had been convicted of involuntary manslaughter in San Francisco in 1974, said she was a heroin addict at the time of the murders and that she had been supporting her habit by prostituting herself and passing bad checks.(The story continues about Deasy, no more about COX.)

http://groups.msn.com/PRISONLONGHOUS...atedinusa.msnw

Nadar 1 Jun 2005 23:50

USA refuse to "release" foreign prisoners to their countries, but still they asks other countries to release USA prisoners. Nothing new there..

Ärketrollmannen 2 Jun 2005 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by acropolis
"After the death of Bob Cox, Annika's lawyer suggested a plea bargain. Rather than going through with the trial after Bob Cox' (Collins) death, she suggested that Annika plead guilty to murder in the first degree. Annika was sentenced to twenty-five years to life for two murders, which she did not commit, but in the eyes of California law, she was just as culpable as the perpetrator because she was present."

that's all well and good, but what was she actually charged with?

Implies two counts of first degree murder, but doesn't say that,

and it is entirely unclear to me how either of those murders would be 1st degree even for bob cox.

1.Where did you get that information?

2. It was two counts of murder yes.
"first degree murder", does that mean that you planned it beforehand?

@Nadar: They did release the swede they held on Guantanamo, so I don't think nationality has anything to do with it, just lust for vengeance

Nadar 2 Jun 2005 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadar
USA refuse to "release" foreign prisoners to their countries, but still they asks other countries to release USA prisoners. Nothing new there..

Who the hell negreps against the truth? :confused:

Ninja_spammer 2 Jun 2005 15:42

Isnt first degree murder, pre-meditated with cruelty and malice?

What the hell could they have charged her with that was *worse* than two charge of 1st degree murder?

Or was she copping a plea to avoid the death sentence (Did'nt think Cali. had one) .

acropolis 2 Jun 2005 16:37

Quote:

Who the hell negreps against the truth? :confused:

i'm guessing if you phrased it "In America, there is an active constituency against extradition in such cases, and there is an active constituency that favors other countries letting our criminals come home, but for obvious reasons there is no real constituency fighting to let other countries have their criminals back. If it won't help get someone elected, it won't happen."

but instead you came off kinda "America is a bunch of ****tards. And they smell too."

that's my guess:/
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja_spammer

What the hell could they have charged her with that was *worse* than two charge of 1st degree murder?

Or was she copping a plea to avoid the death sentence (Did'nt think Cali. had one) .

yes.

3 charges. maybe treason?

she didn't cop a plea, that's the problem. and cali does have the death penalty. but they don't throw it around that much.

PS: Swedes are a bunch of ****tards. And they smell too.

Tactitus 2 Jun 2005 16:57

Quote:

The US transfers three times as many prisoners to foreign countries as they transfer American prisoners to the US.
Code:

Year                US->f                f->US
2000                369                99
2001                209                76
2002                345                94
2003                294                117

Source: US Bureau of Prisons State of the Bureau summaries for 2000-2003 (2003 is the last year that's available).

So I guess I'm not seeing much evidence that we're asking other countries to do something that we're not doing.

P.S. It wasn't me who neg repped you, although you clearly deserved it. :p

Ärketrollmannen 3 Jun 2005 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja_spammer

Yeah, they made a bargain with the prosecutor.

I have no idea how it became 1st degree tough, it's not like they planned it.

@Acropolis and Ninja: What does copping a plea mean?

Yahwe 3 Jun 2005 16:14

copping a plea means accepting a plea bargain

it's slang.

JonnyBGood 3 Jun 2005 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tactitus
The US transfers three times as many prisoners to foreign countries as they transfer American prisoners to the US.
Code:

Year                US->f                f->US
2000                369                99
2001                209                76
2002                345                94
2003                294                117

Source: US Bureau of Prisons State of the Bureau summaries for 2000-2003 (2003 is the last year that's available).

So I guess I'm not seeing much evidence that we're asking other countries to do something that we're not doing.

P.S. It wasn't me who neg repped you, although you clearly deserved it. :p

That's only because Americans commit more crimes because of their despicably materialistic society and hatred for people with bad teeth :rolleyes:

roadrunner_0 3 Jun 2005 17:35

[quote=Ärketrollmannen]

[quote]

surely they planned at leaast the first one of the murders?

Ninja_spammer 3 Jun 2005 19:13

Quote:

@Acropolis and Ninja: What does copping a plea mean?

It means pleading guilty to a lesser charge with a lesser punishment.

LHC 3 Jun 2005 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
That's only because Americans commit more crimes because of their despicably materialistic society and hatred for people with bad teeth :rolleyes:

no it is because americans never go abroad silly because they've never been abroad and are stupid and don't know geography like remember when george bush said iraq like Eyerack lol

Ärketrollmannen 4 Jun 2005 16:55

[quote=roadrunner_0][quote=Ärketrollmannen]

Quote:

surely they planned at leaast the first one of the murders?
I don't think so, but I was really talking about the policeone (since that is the one that made the headlines etc.)

dda 7 Jun 2005 21:02

Of the three people that Annika Deasy killed:

David McKay in 1974 was stabbed to death by Annika Deasy. One stab to the back and three more to the chest. This was a manslaughter because it was a plea bargain due to a lack of witnesses to prove the case. However, Annika Deasy told investigators in 1981 that it was a manslaughter because they couldn't believe that a woman would do it. Even her boyfriend who was at one time charged with the crime would not believe it.

Joe Torre was killed in 1981 in Stockton, California. Annika Deasy lured Joe Torre to a deserted area near a warehouse where she and her boyfriend planned to rob Joe Torre. Joe Torre was shot once in the back and once in the chest. Annika Deasy claimed that her boy friend at the time, Bob Cox, shot Torre. Cox told authorities that Deasy shot Torre. Since Cox later committed suicide, there is no independent evidence as to who actually pulled the trigger. There were people at a distance who discribe seeing a man in the are (other than Torre) but did not discribe the man as doing anything that looked like shooting anyone with a gun. They could not see Torre or Deasy from where they were.

Deasy admitted that she took the wallet from Torre and his money and credit cards after he was shot by whoever. She admits that she discarded his personal papers and photos as they drove to he connections house so she could purchase drugs.

They spent the night in San Francisco and then went to Lake County to find the home of Deasy's first husband. Deasy and Cox argued on the way according to both of their statements. They had a flat and Deasy walked away from the car as she was angry at Cox. Officer Richard Hellbush came upon the scene and stopped to see if they need help. According to Deasy when she distracted Officer Hellbush, Cox shot Hellbush in the back 4 times. According to Cox, while Hellbush was talking to him and Deasy was looking in her purse for identification, Deasy pulled out a gun and shot Hellbush in the back four times.

Deasy admits that it was her idea to drag Hellbush's body to a ditch to "buy them time." She also admits that it was her idea to take Hellbush's wallet. They also took his gun and his police car.

They then fled. Deasy describes flipping through the channels of the police radio to see if they had been discovered yet. They planned to carjack another innocent person but were found by the police first.

Deasy admitted that she had target practiced with the murder weapon on the day between the two murders because "If we were stopped on the highway, we were going for broke. We weren't going to go back to jail."

Cox crashed the patrol car during the chase and began a gun battle with police during which he was shot. Officers reported that Deasy may have pointed a gun at one of the officers during the gun battle. Deasy admits at one point searching for one of the guns in the grass after Cox was shot.

Deasy made statement to a cellmate in jail two weeks later that she was the one who shot Hellbush and that she wished that she could have killed more of the police officers as she hated them.

Murder during a robbery is first degree murder in California.

Annika Deasy was the leader in all that happened. She may have been the actual shooter in both murders. She was allowed to plead guilty to both murders for one sentence of 25 years to life.

Once in prison, Annika Deasy continued to use drugs and in 1989 tested positive for morphine (heroine metabolite) while in prison. She has had no rules violations in prison for the past seven years.

Nusselt 7 Jun 2005 23:13

Hello?

Marilyn Manson 7 Jun 2005 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nusselt
Hello?

Is it me you're looking for?

JonnyBGood 8 Jun 2005 10:50

People who use drugs are sub-human and quite possibly satan worshippers.