Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OK GD people, which book are you reading now? (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=193481)

pyirt 6 Jan 2007 12:50

OK GD people, which book are you reading now?

J.Robert Oppenheimer. "A life". Written by Abraham Pais et al. I have read a bit about this subject since my teen-age years, but this book is quite good in a very different way: science.

All Systems Go 6 Jan 2007 13:27

Re: OK GD people, which book are you reading now?

Down and Out in Paris and London - George Orwell. Only read the first few chapters so far but it seems like a good book.

Dante Hicks 6 Jan 2007 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Down and Out in Paris and London - George Orwell. Only read the first few chapters so far but it seems like a good book.

Politically it's not brilliant (although not terrible). I found some bits absolutley hilarious though, particularly Orwell quoting his Russian friend's views on the Jewry.

Leshy 6 Jan 2007 13:47

Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves.

It's pretty good so far!

rnd|One 6 Jan 2007 13:50

QED by Richard Feynman

Knight Theamion 6 Jan 2007 13:59

Reid&Sanders - Operations Management

but god I am longing for a decent novel, or a novelle on some scientific or business issue

furball 6 Jan 2007 14:23

Just finished The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins. I can't claim to be entirely objective, but I enjoyed it.

Apothos 6 Jan 2007 14:24

Chris Moyles' autobiography, 'twas a christmas gift.

furball 6 Jan 2007 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apothos
Chris Moyles' autobiography, 'twas a christmas gift.

I received that, left it in Cardiff though. I'll read it when I get back!

Proteus 6 Jan 2007 14:28

The Scarlatti Inheritance by Robert Ludlum.

SilverSmoke 6 Jan 2007 14:57

Children of Dune and Hitchiker's guide to the Galaxy, very slowly though.

G.K Zhukov 6 Jan 2007 15:26

How to post in discussions where you have nothing to bring, by T&F. :)

emux 6 Jan 2007 15:40

Corsarios de Levante - Arturo Pérez-Reverte... Capitan Alatriste fighting turks in the mediterranean sea.

Boogster 6 Jan 2007 16:45

Resurrection, Tolstoy.

pig 6 Jan 2007 16:50

The bonfire of the vanities by Tom Wolfe

Tactitus 6 Jan 2007 16:50

Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome by Robert Harris and War Made New by Max Boot.

KoeN 6 Jan 2007 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by emux
Corsarios de Levante - Arturo Pérez-Reverte... Capitan Alatriste fighting turks in the mediterranean sea.

sounds good. :up:

pyirt 6 Jan 2007 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by furball
Just finished The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins. I can't claim to be entirely objective, but I enjoyed it.

I need to get reading that book some day; apart from reading "bits" for free in Waterstones during lunch break; in "Company time" :)

wu_trax 6 Jan 2007 17:08

Harrington on Hold Em Vol 1-3, doesnt help much though :/

Kargool 6 Jan 2007 17:18

A feast for Crows by George R R Martin. Forth book of the series a Song of Ice and Fire

Appocomaster 6 Jan 2007 17:20

Kargool :( I can't disagree, that's a cool book. Though I want to know how far you throw the book when ... that happens.

I'm sorta (re)reading Polgara the Sorceress (David Eddings) // the latest in the Sword of Truth series (Chainfire + Phantom) by Terry Goodkind.

SYMM 6 Jan 2007 18:08

I finished 'I am Charlotte Simmons' by Tom Wolfe yesterday, a very good read, if a little 'silly'.

Just started 'After the Plague' by T.C. Boyle, it's a book of short stories that I picked up in Fopp, mainly because it was only £3 and it has a wolf on the cover.

Kargool 6 Jan 2007 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster
Kargool :( I can't disagree, that's a cool book. Though I want to know how far you throw the book when ... that happens.

Well, i threw A storm of Swords at my sister when THAT happend in that book.. Is it worse than what happend in A storm of swords? :( *Note, the Starks are my faves*

JonnyBGood 6 Jan 2007 21:43

Michael Burleigh's Sacred Causes. Only just started it but I read his history of the third reich and that was excellent. I finished a review of the current state of epistemology recently but even if you're interested in that sort of thing it becomes pretty dull after a while.

Mistwraith 6 Jan 2007 22:18

Eragon - cos the movie came out and we've had the book on the house for nearly 2 years, so it was about time ..

not bad for a kids book.

i will be taking eldest on holiday with me .

jt25man 7 Jan 2007 05:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
The bonfire of the vanities by Tom Wolfe

I've have the movie adaptation with Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis, would you say that the book is better than the movie (if you've seen it)?

I just finished reading 'The Innocent Man' by John Grisham; his 19th novel, and his first non-fiction. Was very well written, and an excellent story. Then again I have the other 18 and thought they were all very good stories and very well written.

Nodrog 7 Jan 2007 07:48

Ulysses but I've pretty much stopped after 100 pages because its dire.

JonnyBGood 7 Jan 2007 07:49

Reading Joyce is the first, the last and the middle step on the road to insanity.

Mistwraith 7 Jan 2007 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster
I'm sorta (re)reading Polgara the Sorceress (David Eddings) // the latest in the Sword of Truth series (Chainfire + Phantom) by Terry Goodkind.

chainfire drove me nuts... it took me 2 weeks to read it .. the first 1/2 was so hard to settle into

Dark_Mage 7 Jan 2007 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Reading Joyce is the first, the last and the middle step on the road to insanity.

Except for Dubliners.

I'm currently reading Against The Day. I don't like it so much and someone gave me a copy of The House Of The Spirits for christmas so I might give up and start reading that soon.

SYMM 7 Jan 2007 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt25man
I've have the movie adaptation with Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis, would you say that the book is better than the movie (if you've seen it)?

The film is terrible, the book is rather good.

It doesn't work as a film because the plot of the novel isn't particularly good; to narrate to someone what happens would just be boring. The writing style is (in my opinion, I seem to recall Dace having quite strong opinions on this book) such that it makes the story interesting, and almost exciting.
I've read it 6 times, if that's any kind of testament.

Cooling 7 Jan 2007 12:19

Quote:

I aim to re-read Ulysses this year ! Even if it takes me all year.

Currently reading Rip it Up and Start Again by Simon Reynolds. If you ever thought hey! I'd love to read a book about Postpunk 1978 - 1984! then THIS is the book for you. No really, its a fantastic book.

Also reading Notes from the Underground.

Paisley 7 Jan 2007 12:26

I am having a re-read of ... The art of War by Sun Tzu

Knight Theamion 7 Jan 2007 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kargool
A feast for Crows by George R R Martin. Forth book of the series a Song of Ice and Fire

Going to buy this book coming week! And read it out within a day or what, however I do have my exams coming up, so I don't know how wise an idea this is.

Also, I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe is a bit too cliché for my liking, but fun. It reminds me a bit of the books of Donna Tart.

Appocomaster 7 Jan 2007 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
Going to buy this book coming week! And read it out within a day or what, however I do have my exams coming up, so I don't know how wise an idea this is.

It's a big book, it takes a couple of days to read. It's as irritating as all his other books :P

Knight Theamion 7 Jan 2007 13:12

I love those books ...

pyirt 7 Jan 2007 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paisley
I am having a re-read of ... The art of War by Sun Tzu

Nothing wrong with "re-reads" at all! Though, the book you refer to is a bit too heavy for me.

Paisley 7 Jan 2007 14:46

it is one of those books that can be read in 1/2 a day but can be studied for months

Tietäjä 7 Jan 2007 14:50

I've been through the oddball things lately. Mainly things regarding Ordo Templi Orientis. I got my inspiration off Satyr's (not our Satyr, I hope!) Black Lodge of Santa Cruz.

Currently I'm, whenever not studying Finnish economic history, plowing through Aleister Crowley's essays. The current one goes under name The Qabbalah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyirt
Nothing wrong with "re-reads" at all! Though, the book you refer to is a bit too heavy for me.

Hehe. The print of Art of War I own features an introduction as long as the context itself. Quite amusing really.

meglamaniac 7 Jan 2007 15:58

I'm going to buck the trend by announcing that I'm reading non-fiction :o

This survival guide to be precise. All you could ever need to know about how to skin a polar bear (I must say I do like the assumption that you could catch one in a survival situation) and more!

More seriously, there's actually some pretty cool info in there and I recommend it to other like minded outdoorsy geeks like myself.

roadrunner_0 7 Jan 2007 16:49

shield of thunder by david gemmell, his last book before he died :(

(the second book in his troy trilogy as well, and jyust know that whoever they get to finish off the trilogy just wont do it justice :()

qebab 7 Jan 2007 16:50

Just finished Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, and started on Crime and Punishment by Dostojevskij.

wu_trax 7 Jan 2007 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tietäjä
Hehe. The print of Art of War I own features an introduction as long as the context itself. Quite amusing really.

i found clausewitz more interesting, although much more difficult to read.

qebab 7 Jan 2007 18:08

James Joyce

Maladoni 7 Jan 2007 19:40

Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis.

Nodrog 7 Jan 2007 23:56

Quote:

Michael Burleigh's Sacred Causes. Only just started it but I read his history of the third reich and that was excellent. I finished a review of the current state of epistemology recently but even if you're interested in that sort of thing it becomes pretty dull after a while.

I had a justified belief that ur mum is fat because I saw a photo and its true that ur mum is fat but the photo I saw was actually of your sister so did I know ur mum was fat???

Hebdomad 8 Jan 2007 00:05

Weeeell, over christmas i've read:

* The fifth elephant by Terry Pratchett - It was very enjoyable. My favourite discworld novel so far - I've only read around 6 others of the early discworld novels.
* Blink by Malcom Gladwell - A very good popular science (?) book on intuition. Very, very interesting.
* The essential spike milligan - Great! Full of goon show manuscripts, funny poems, book excerps, a few letters and the like.

I'm either going to read Night Shift by pratchett next or some book on the history of western political thought, or something different!

There should be a GD Book Review archive as well!

[edit] I skimmed an article in the guardian about will hutton's new book on china. That shall go on my list as well.

jt25man 8 Jan 2007 00:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by meglamaniac
I'm going to buck the trend by announcing that I'm reading non-fiction :o

Must've missed my post about reading John Grisham's last book which happens to be non-fiction.

dda 8 Jan 2007 01:14

"The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", reading it very slowly to get the full effect. Of course the publisher puts huge swastikas on the cover. The lady lawyer in the office (Ms. Isreals) next to mine has started to look at me funny. Well, to be honest she has always looked at me suspiciously (though she we did exchange Hanakah gifts and she showed me her dradel.)

Also, reading a "Godfather" knock off titled "The Godfather's Revenge." More of the whacky Mafia.

JonnyBGood 8 Jan 2007 02:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
I had a justified belief that ur mum is fat because I saw a photo and its true that ur mum is fat but the photo I saw was actually of your sister so did I know ur mum was fat???

You had a justified belief which wasn't true. In future I'd research my material better.

PS book horn.