Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bridget Jones Diary (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196096)

Texan 14 Feb 2008 22:17

Bridget Jones Diary

First off I want to say that I missed you all terribly while I had only limited accesss to the Internet.

On to the culture review.

After watching this show, I can come to only one conclusion. All the British people are clearly idiots.

Now, I don't mean that in a rude way, much like the British people are not trying to be rude when they say Americans are idiots.

I just noticed that the people in this movie almost in every circumstance acted in the most iditotic way they possibly could act, given the possible actions one might conceive.

I did notice that the only person who acted normally was a Tory lawyer. Since we don't have any Tory lawyers on this forum, I suspect we can rule all of you out as being people who might act in a normal manner.

What caught my attention is that most people in Western Europe, but especially in Britain, is that the American people are often judged by the shows produced by Hollywood about the American people. Not actual interaction with American people.

I have known many British people over the years, but most British people have not known Ameircan people.

All the British people have to judge American people by is those products that are much like Bridget Jones Diary.

No wonder the British think the Americans are idiots, and also no wonder the American people think the Brits as idiots.

Texan 14 Feb 2008 22:54

Re: Bridget Jones Diary

Thanks for the pos rep, Phil. Did you hit the wrong button?

dda 14 Feb 2008 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan
Since we don't have any Tory lawyers on this forum

I know a lawyer NAMED Tory. His father played for the Raiders.

(Just trying to keep up the "Americans are idiots" tradition.

Nodrog 15 Feb 2008 01:15

Quote:

What caught my attention is that most people in Western Europe, but especially in Britain, is that the American people are often judged by the shows produced by Hollywood about the American people. Not actual interaction with American people.

I have known many British people over the years, but most British people have not known Ameircan people.

All the British people have to judge American people by is those products that are much like Bridget Jones Diary.

Well there are a lot of people (myself included) who think that a culture can be judged largely on the art it produces. Judging America by American TV/movies is fairly reasonable because ultimately the popular American shows/films are the ones which appeal to a lot of Americans, and hence give a basic snapshot of the cultural zeitgeist. The same applies to the cultural output of other countries too. Obviously not all Americans are going to have the same attitudes/intelligence/whatever that you see on American TV shows, but judging the cultura of a nation doesnt imply a judgement about every person that lives in the nation - look at how (eg) the culture of the ancient Greeks/Romans is assessed based on the work of a handful of intellectuals without anyone implying that actual Greek shopkeepers had much in common with the characters in Sophocles plays. Similarly you can probably make a good judgement about the British mentality based on the content/form of popular British cultural products; Bridget Jones may not be the best example, but download some episodes of Eastenders/Big Brother or an average popular newspaper.

Yahwe 15 Feb 2008 08:52

Quote:

much like the British people are not trying to be rude when they say Americans are idiots.

wrong again.

Marilyn Manson 15 Feb 2008 12:48

Quote:

No wonder the British think the Americans are idiots,

I would never say Americans are idiots, but clearly they are quite foolish for letting people like you freely interact with the outside world.

In Britain, we generally keep people such as you closeted away in places like Norfolk, Wales and Cornwall, where they can inbreed to their hearts content, and where they shall never be bothered by such concepts as 'the foreign', or the intricacies of modern society. In your country, you are given the freedom to roam and mingle and unsuccessfully grapple with challenging notions, like indoor plumbing, and words that are longer than three letters.

Plato would, I'm perfectly sure, be quite shocked.

Texan 15 Feb 2008 15:26

The odd thing about your observation, MM, is that not only am I allowed to interact with the outside world, I get paid handsomely to do so. Of course, I am not paid to interact on this forum. I act a bit differently here than I do when I am being paid. Here, I can tell the absolute truth about what I think of the people in our allied nations. When I'm being paid, I can't say that the British people appear to be idiots based on movies that I have seen.

In my personal interactions with British people over the last 20 years, I have found them to be friendly, mannered, intelligent and accepting.

In my interactions with British people on this forum over the last few years, I have found them to be quite ignorant, hostile, rude and unworthy of consideration as part of the human race.

Wierd, huh?

Maybe it's just you guys, and not the normal British people that give the British such a bad reputation in the world.

Phang 15 Feb 2008 15:32

Quote:

The odd thing about your observation, MM, is that not only am I allowed to interact with the outside world, I get paid handsomely to do so. Of course, I am not paid to interact on this forum. I act a bit differently here than I do when I am being paid. Here, I can tell the absolute truth about what I think of the people in our allied nations. When I'm being paid, I can't say that the British people appear to be idiots based on movies that I have seen.

In my personal interactions with British people over the last 20 years, I have found them to be friendly, mannered, intelligent and accepting.

In my interactions with British people on this forum over the last few years, I have found them to be quite ignorant, hostile, rude and unworthy of consideration as part of the human race.

Wierd, huh?

Maybe it's just you guys, and not the normal British people that give the British such a bad reputation in the world.

Either that, or you present your politics on a message board on a hostile manner behind a mask of anonymity, to others doing the same, and the responses people bite back if you raise them in other, face-to-face situations you recieve with both barrels here. Your failure to engage in any of the banter on the forums and go only for contentious debates with bigoted views probably doesn't help you there. I'm sure you're lovely and approachable outside the internet. On it, you're exclusively judgemental and antagonistic, which I'm sure adds to the effect.

Just saying.

Hebdomad 15 Feb 2008 16:03

It's a nice approach Texan but in future you'd be wise to take nodrog's advice because then you can properly claim that Britons are clearly dangerous to the otherwise healthy genetic world-stock and should therefore be contained by genetic tagging, pre-emptive strikes and other stratagems for the benefit of all the peace-loving and spiritually pure people of planet earth. You can probably include Americans in that as well but I'd advise that you concentrate on one thing at a time; two threads perhaps?

Marilyn Manson 15 Feb 2008 16:41

Quote:

Well that's kind of weird, because that's what just about everyone on the forum broadly thinks of you at the moment.

Mabye if you didn't behave like such a moronic, childish shit, whose only effective contribution to the forum over the last few years has been generally to make dickish threads like this one, then people would be a bit more friendly towards you.

Just a thought.

Radical Edward 15 Feb 2008 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Well that's kind of weird, because that's what just about everyone on the forum broadly thinks of you at the moment.

I endorse this. Texan is a fatuous shit.

All Systems Go 15 Feb 2008 17:33

Why were you watching this film?

All Systems Go 15 Feb 2008 17:34

Quote:

No wonder the British think the Americans are idiots, and also no wonder the American people think the Brits as idiots.

It's a good job that neither country is involed in global conflicts which could cause the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. Oh wai...

MrL_JaKiri 15 Feb 2008 18:52

Yeah, the best way to judge civilisation is chicklit

All Systems Go 15 Feb 2008 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Yeah, the best way to judge civilisation is chicklit

Ahem, movie adapted chicklit.

Mzyxptlk 15 Feb 2008 19:49

Quote:

First off I want to say that I missed you all terribly while I had only limited accesss to the Internet.

Quote:

We missed you too.

Dead_Meat 15 Feb 2008 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
I would never say Americans are idiots, but clearly they are quite foolish for letting people like you freely interact with the outside world.

In Britain, we generally keep people such as you closeted away in places like Norfolk, Wales and Cornwall, where they can inbreed to their hearts content, and where they shall never be bothered by such concepts as 'the foreign', or the intricacies of modern society.d.

America does have these kinds of places, it's called the Mid-West (Kansas, Nebraska, etc.).

I remember being in a BBQ restaurant out there once, when I was ordering, one of the other waitresses ran up, pushed the other one out of the way and, with a wild and excited look in her eyes, said

"Say, are you a foreigner? I've never met a foreigner before. Could you say something, I just luuuuuuuuuuurve your accent, it's just aaaaaawesome"

The other waitresses didn't say much, seemed to me they were just waiting to listen to my "aaaaaawesome" accent some more.

There are plenty of people out there that have never seen the sea. On easked me what it looked like, all I could think of was:

"Think of a lake, just bigger, much bigger. With salt in it. And fish, lots of fish."

lokken 15 Feb 2008 22:03

If the jist of this thread is that both Britons and Americans can be idiots and Texan is as shit as he ever was, I'm not sure there's much to be said :(

Yahwe 15 Feb 2008 23:51

Quote:

no offence but you only have a bad reputation in the world if people are willing to fly planes in to your buildings and make them fall down.

Texan 16 Feb 2008 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
no offence but you only have a bad reputation in the world if people are willing to fly planes in to your buildings and make them fall down.

Exactly. Also when people shoot their female relatives in the kneecaps when they fall in love with your soldiers. Oh, wait that was northern ireland...

Yahwe 16 Feb 2008 00:23

Quote:

Exactly. Also when people shoot their female relatives in the kneecaps when they fall in love with your soldiers. Oh, wait that was northern ireland...

how are your schools doing?

(you work in propganda you play this game - what the **** did you think you were doing pretending britain had a bad reputation?)

Texan 16 Feb 2008 00:32

Quote:

how are your schools doing?

(you work in propganda you play this game - what the **** did you think you were doing pretending britain had a bad reputation?)

My schools are doing very well. We do seem to have a small problem with huffing at the moment, but we are working on it.

I don't deal in propaganda. I deal in truth. Lawyers do propaganda. Public relations does truth.

Yahwe 16 Feb 2008 00:38

Quote:

My schools are doing very well. We do seem to have a small problem with huffing at the moment, but we are working on it.

I don't deal in propaganda. I deal in truth. Lawyers do propaganda. Public relations does truth.

lawyers do functionality. lawyers are just part of a legal system.

you do spin for a purpose. you charm people for a living (we shall leave aside for now how bad you are at that task)

"huffing"

?

"huff"

"ing"

I find that an odd way to describe consistent campus based shootings.

I may have seemed heatless for slapping you in the face with the truth over 9/11. but I stand by my belief in the shock value of what I did. I feel heartless for doing it.

to describe children with guns shooting even more innocent children as "huffing". what we have seen so often and so frequently in the last year (particularly the 3 incidents in the last week) as "huffing".

I question what you are.

MrL_JaKiri 16 Feb 2008 00:44

Quote:

Public relations does truth.

I never knew you were a comedian.

furball 16 Feb 2008 01:06

Quote:

So stop ****ing coming back.

Alessio 16 Feb 2008 02:05

I used to think highly of the British until I went to Rimini and Ibiza. Most Britons were either tattoo'd, fat, hideously ugly or all of that at the same time. Seeing those girls in extremly short skirts, drinking until they dropped, getting into fights with eachother and shagging everyone they could really forced me to adjust my views.

Yahwe 16 Feb 2008 02:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessio
I used to think highly of the British until I went to Rimini and Ibiza. Most Britons were either tattoo'd, fat, hideously ugly or all of that at the same time. Seeing those girls in extremly short skirts, drinking until they dropped, getting into fights with eachother and shagging everyone they could really forced me to adjust my views.

said no did they.

Alessio 16 Feb 2008 02:17

Quote:

said no did they.

I've had a loads of fun. The best part was that they often just assumed that I couldn't speak a single word of English. So the imagined language barrier speeded things up quite a bit.

Alessio 16 Feb 2008 02:46

You wouldn't believe some of the things i've seen there. I'll never forget the night when some Irish bloke I was with let himself get sucked off by a travestite. I remember him saying he wouldn't find anything better anyway and he had shoot his load somewhere. :crymeariver:

I still have the image burned into my retina.

MrL_JaKiri 16 Feb 2008 12:37

Quote:

I used to think highly of the British until I went to Rimini and Ibiza.

Oh hey, selection bias.

_Kila_ 16 Feb 2008 14:19

Quote:

Since we don't have any Tory lawyers on this forum

Yahwe is a lawyer who votes for the Tories :confused:

So, since you just claimed that he would be the only one on this forum "acting normally" and he has called you an idiot, you must be an idiot. Right?

Kenny 16 Feb 2008 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Kila_
Yahwe is a lawyer who votes for the Tories :confused:

So, since you just claimed that he would be the only one on this forum "acting normally" and he has called you an idiot, you must be an idiot. Right?

Owned.

gzambo 16 Feb 2008 14:33

Quote:

i am so glad my kids wont be going to school in america , having to buy three bulletproof vests could bankrupt me .

oh and public relations does truth , do us all a favour and get real , your not dealing with some inbred midddle americans now you plank , because unlike them we can handle the truth and we berlieve it and not the jumped up bullshit you idiots think is the truth

Mzyxptlk 16 Feb 2008 14:54

Jews did 9/11.

All Systems Go 16 Feb 2008 14:58

Quote:

You wouldn't believe some of the things i've seen there. I'll never forget the night when some Irish bloke I was with let himself get sucked off by a travestite. I remember him saying he wouldn't find anything better anyway and he had shoot his load somewhere. :crymeariver:

I still have the image burned into my retina.

You could have, you know, umm...

not watched!