Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Equal pay Act 1970 (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196455)

Mek 13 May 2008 22:33

Equal pay Act 1970

bit of a random question but can somebody give me some information regarding this. more spefically the exact reasons for the act being introduced? i have searched google but cannot seem to find the answer anywhere :(

cheers GD, much appreciated :P

furball 13 May 2008 22:44

Re: Equal pay Act 1970

Hansard is probably your best bet if you want the exact reasons, but it was because the Act's proponents believed that women should be paid the same amount as men for doing the same job....

Ultimate Newbie 13 May 2008 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by furball
Hansard is probably your best bet if you want the exact reasons, but it was because the Act's proponents believed that women should be paid the same amount as men for doing the same job....

Interesting; you dont believe that they should?

furball 13 May 2008 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Interesting; you dont believe that they should?

That wasn't what I meant at all. I'm just suprised that Mek felt the need to ask the question here when the answer was bloody obvious.

Mek 14 May 2008 10:40

i was wondering more if there was a specific reason why there was this change in opinion that women should be payed equaly. after all it had been this way for such a long time

Ste 14 May 2008 18:42

i'm pretty sure they had been campaigning for it for quite a long time, more so following the war when they'd been doing a lot of the jobs whilst the men were abroad fighting.

Mzyxptlk 14 May 2008 19:00

It started when we let them get an education. It was all downhill from there.

Yahwe 14 May 2008 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mek
i was wondering more if there was a specific reason why there was this change in opinion that women should be payed equaly. after all it had been this way for such a long time

I feel the same about this:

1967: Sexual Offences Bill passed, legalising gay sex in private for consenting adults

All Systems Go 14 May 2008 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mek

Whilst I shall congratulate you on asking a question, I would also ask why this particular question?

Mek 14 May 2008 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Whilst I shall congratulate you on asking a question, I would also ask why this particular question?

its for an essay I am doing for college, about the changing role of women, in employment and education, over the last 50 years. im just in the early stages of it but im struggling to find why such an act was brought in in the first place....

Yahwe 14 May 2008 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mek
its for an essay I am doing for college, about the changing role of women, in employment and education, over the last 50 years. im just in the early stages of it but im struggling to find why such an act was brought in in the first place....

then ask yourself this:

What do you think would make a democratically elected parliament all agree to pass a law to outlaw something, if that something was accepted by the people who elected them as perfectly ok?

Mistwraith 15 May 2008 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mek

Because employers will use the law to cut costs in wages, did so and still do.
eg: When the minimum wage went up last year my employer (Thresher Group, so if your concidering them for an employer .. dont ) set in the contracts of new staff that they get paid single rate on sundays and bank holidays to cut costs.

Likewise before the equal pay act came in employers would hire women to a do a job over men because they were just as good but did not need to pay them as much.

So basically Mek, the equal pay act protected both women and men.

All Systems Go 15 May 2008 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mek

I see. Please define 'college' in a way Brits would understand.

I assume you mean you are doing your undergradeuate degree at university?

There's probably at least one book on this topic. Read one.

What is your course btw?