Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   faggot (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=193744)

Deffeh 7 Feb 2007 13:54

faggot

Stupid question about language that has been bugging me. Obviously for the most part when you call someone a faggot, you arent calling them a homosexual.

Yes, yes, its a generic insult. But what is the relevant synonym?

I thought maybe 'idiot', but calling someone a faggot isnt the same as suggesting they are foolish.

Deviant, maybe?

Ste 7 Feb 2007 14:08

Re: faggot

"not very nice person" I'd say.
Much the same as when you call someone a wanker

Dante Hicks 7 Feb 2007 14:59

A combination of :
- wimp / wuss / nancy
- a person who lacks a particular desirable personal characteristic
- an idiot

Nodrog 7 Feb 2007 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deffeh

'Deffeh'

(owned)

Deffeh 7 Feb 2007 15:07

n1 yahwe

Tomkat 7 Feb 2007 15:53

That's precisely the reason why it has developed a new branding. There was no word before it for it to replace. That's why it's acceptable as an insult, and not a homophobic word. It hasn't replaced anything.

Mighteh 7 Feb 2007 16:30

hm... in US you would have long time prooving that you did not mean "faggot" in a homophobic way. Its mostly utilized as a derogatory term for homos. (and abbriviatures are not considered insults. Yet used as a derogatory term aswell. go figgure)

Mistwraith 7 Feb 2007 18:10

personally i allways see a small ball of meat in gravy, possibly with some garden peas anda few poatatoes on the side :P

but no .. its a derogatory term for homosexual .. mostly northern areas of england.

Mistwraith 7 Feb 2007 18:37

dunno ... different areas and eras have different slang words ..

for instance ... between my friends a girl/woman of dubious repute was a strawberry .. from strawberry tart ( when u were discussing people in a pub)

Mitc 7 Feb 2007 19:00

The term 'faggot' refering to, mainly, homosexuals stems from the dim and distant past.

In the time when 'Daily Mail Thinking' was the order of the day homo's were burned at the stake.

The bundles of wood used to fuel the fire were, and I guess still are, called FAGGOTS.

Here endeth the lesson.

( For those unsure of the Daily Mail - it's the paper Adolf Hitler would've read and thought ...... "Maybe their politics are a tad too far right for me."

All Systems Go 7 Feb 2007 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistwraith
dunno ... different areas and eras have different slang words ..

for instance ... between my friends a girl/woman of dubious repute was a strawberry .. from strawberry tart ( when u were discussing people in a pub)

the beuaty of that insult is that it sounds like a compliment.

All Systems Go 7 Feb 2007 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitc
The term 'faggot' refering to, mainly, homosexuals stems from the dim and distant past.

In the time when 'Daily Mail Thinking' was the order of the day homo's were burned at the stake.

The bundles of wood used to fuel the fire were, and I guess still are, called FAGGOTS.

Here endeth the lesson.

( For those unsure of the Daily Mail - it's the paper Adolf Hitler would've read and thought ...... "Maybe their politics are a tad too far right for me."

Yet the Labour Party doesn't. :rolleyes:

Nodrog 7 Feb 2007 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitc

Here endeth the lesson.

This probably isnt true.

Yahwe 7 Feb 2007 20:19

Quote:

but some of my best friends are gay!!!

this thread is pathetic.

Phang 7 Feb 2007 21:24

I'd go with c*nt generally but women tend to get angry about it for some reason

jt25man 8 Feb 2007 00:03

What about the word "gay", that used to have a totally different meaning "happy". Classic American literature references having a gay time quite frequently. Let's not forget, even The Flinstones (American Cartoon) were always wanting to have a 'gay old time'.

All Systems Go 8 Feb 2007 00:05

Yeah, but Fred and Barney were homosexuals.

Yahwe 8 Feb 2007 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt25man
Classic American literature

what a curious collection of words.

Deffeh 8 Feb 2007 00:06

most of you missed the point i think :(

jt25man 8 Feb 2007 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
what a curious collection of words.

The Great Gatsby is considered Classic American Literature, dispite it being utterly boring.

Yahwe 8 Feb 2007 00:26

Quote:

most of us noticed your homophobia.

Tomkat 8 Feb 2007 01:07

Quote:

shut up u faggot

Phang 8 Feb 2007 03:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
most of us noticed your homophobia.

shut up, do.

All Systems Go 8 Feb 2007 16:08

If a white guy who wants to be black is called a 'wigga' is a dark guy who wants to be white called a 'donkey'?

Deffeh 8 Feb 2007 20:20

theres a japanese guy that dresses like a sort of early 90s gangster rapper here that i call the 'jigga'

meaple 15 Feb 2007 10:44

This thread mislead me :(

Maladoni 15 Feb 2007 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Yeah, but Fred and Barney were homosexuals.

I'd go with Barney, but I would be thinking of Fred.

pyirt 15 Feb 2007 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
This probably isnt true.

I think it is true.

Phang 15 Feb 2007 13:15

for what its worth my understanding had always been that using the term faggot meant they were fit only for burning or something to that effect. I don't think homosexuals were routinely set fire to, however.

Marilyn Manson 15 Feb 2007 13:20

Quote:

'Mong' would be pretty close, but it's not widely used. 'Spastic' might be another one.

Or are you looking for non-insulting synonyms?

dda 15 Feb 2007 19:18

"Faggot" for homosexuals probably came from dry wood being called faggots and suitable for burning or "flaming." "Flaming" being a common, derogatory adjective applied to homosexuals may well be the connection.

"Faggot" may also have stemed from the word "fag." Fag being an English word which originally meant toil or drudgery. It was later applied to English school boys who acted as servants to older class mates. Homsexuality and Englis school boys has long been linked in the common lore.

My father (born in 1911) would often refer to being "all fagged out" from a day of hard work.

"Fag end" is a pharse which means the frayed (or worn out) end of a rope.