Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Examples of teamwork (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=193791)

All Systems Go 12 Feb 2007 17:10

Examples of teamwork

In slightly less than one hour from now I shall have a telephone interview to do something or other in a bank. I have have been informed that the interview will focus on four particular areas:

Sales
target
Customer service
teamwork

I'm reasonably confident I can blag the first three points, but I have no idea what to do for teamwork, having spent most of my life actively avoiding such situations.

I was hoping for some examples which I could draw inspiration from (or plagurise if the need be).

pablissimo 12 Feb 2007 17:14

Re: Examples of teamwork

Those guys eating each other when their plane crashed in the mountains was pretty good teamwork.

Otherwise I generally draw upon team-based events I did during CCF like the King's Cup. Making sure we identified each team member's key abilities and weaknesses, sacrificing time on certain challenges to help weaker team-members, maintaining team morale by a similar method, generic crap like that.

Ste 12 Feb 2007 17:15

group projects at uni?
working in a 'team' at work?
Football/basketball/rugby team playing in a tournament?
Staying up all night with your alliance trying to get defence for all the planets being attacked by legion/fury despite the fact you have exams the next day and you haven't slept properly for the last week?

All Systems Go 12 Feb 2007 17:18

I don't reall wish to overuse uni.
I've never had a such a job.
I do the internet. I don't do sport.
I didn't do that because I thought it was a massive waste of time and effort. Whilst it might appear that I was now in the wrong, I still have the moral victory.

I think you can see my particular bind.

`mac^ 12 Feb 2007 17:23

You can say you do anything in a team wether or not you do. For instance, how are they to know that you dont actually play football with mates? etc.

Hebdomad 12 Feb 2007 17:26

Tell them there are three important aspects of teamwork 1) that each individual understands what is expected of them, 2) the team is organised in such a way that everyone feels they can contribute, and 3) the leader knows how to deal with those who've become dissaffected with the team by understanding and trying to fix their particular problem to a reasonable extent.

I said that and my employer was very impressed and I don't even like other people.

And if they ask for examples say that mostly all activities to some extent involve team work. Make up some uni experience, or student union experience, or... lobbying activity if needs be. Or claim you did something in your old job that you in fact didn't.

Tomkat 12 Feb 2007 18:22

Just talking about teamwork will get you 0 points. Anyone can reel off a load of pre-prepared jargon and phrases.

They want to know about your opinion of teams. Split it up:

Working with others
How do you communicate with the other people? Are you notorious for being of the opinion that "if you want a job doing, do it yourself" or do you like to delegate? How much responsibility do you like to take, even if a project is difficult and you might not be able to finish it to a high standard?

Leadership
Are you a leader or not? How competent are you at organising and delegating tasks? How efficient are you at getting tasks done? Can you take orders? Do you take pride in reporting back to someone with a job done well?

Communication
How do you prefer to work in teams? Do you give constant updates and expect constant updates from others? Do you use more of a laissez-faire attitude and assume everyone works as hard as you, so don't require updates on their progress?

Good luck dude.

Dante Hicks 12 Feb 2007 18:25

I'm not really sure I understand. Why don't you just make something up? So long it isn't absurd ("I led the team that cured cancer while climbing Everest to raise money for orphans") they're unlikely to call you on it.

Achilles 12 Feb 2007 18:30

Agree with Dante entirely. I don't really see the issue here at all.

All Systems Go 12 Feb 2007 18:39

I can't really lie. It's a serious flaw I have.

Mighteh 12 Feb 2007 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
I can't really lie. It's a serious flaw I have.

lies are essentual patr of teamwork when u need something accomplished by he who would not normally do it (i.e. boss said unless u do that he'll fire you)
work on that, mate

All Systems Go 12 Feb 2007 19:40

I would if I could get a job. :)

Tomkat 12 Feb 2007 19:41

Lying is bad guys :(

pablissimo 12 Feb 2007 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
Just talking about teamwork will get you 0 points. Anyone can reel off a load of pre-prepared jargon and phrases.

They want to know about your opinion of teams. Split it up:

Working with others
How do you communicate with the other people? Are you notorious for being of the opinion that "if you want a job doing, do it yourself" or do you like to delegate? How much responsibility do you like to take, even if a project is difficult and you might not be able to finish it to a high standard?

Leadership
Are you a leader or not? How competent are you at organising and delegating tasks? How efficient are you at getting tasks done? Can you take orders? Do you take pride in reporting back to someone with a job done well?

Communication
How do you prefer to work in teams? Do you give constant updates and expect constant updates from others? Do you use more of a laissez-faire attitude and assume everyone works as hard as you, so don't require updates on their progress?

Good luck dude.

Most of those aren't opinions about teams dude, they're about how you personally work in a team. Which is kinda talking about teamwork...

Tomkat 12 Feb 2007 19:50

"Teamwork" is a huge umbrellaed term though. It covers so much, so breaking it down makes it simpler for you to prepare for questions they might ask.

JonnyBGood 12 Feb 2007 19:59

Lying's fine, it's when a compound web of interlocking lies develops that you need to start worrying.

Tomkat 12 Feb 2007 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Lying's fine, it's when a compound web of interlocking lies develops that you need to start worrying.

True dat! Eastenders taught me everything I know about life :(

midge5 12 Feb 2007 21:02

How did the interview go and what the hell possessed you to apply for work in a bank?

Telephone interviews are also horrible, horrible things.

Structural Integrity 12 Feb 2007 21:19

How does working in a bank require any teamwork? Surely you can count money all day and rip off people by yourself perfectly fine can't you?

All Systems Go 12 Feb 2007 21:22

I nearly hung up cause I could literally think of nothing. I prepared answered for questions that were implied in an earlier phone call and they changed!

It went ok by my standards so it was really, really bad.

I applied for a job on-line and I had a phone call saying it was for HSBC, the words local bank. It was all rather accidental.

Mighteh 12 Feb 2007 22:43

**** HSBC. I just left them
what s shit bank tbfh
it took them 15 buisness days (3 ****ing weeks) to cash a check sometimes.
what a pain in the ass...

and i was their loyal customer for 6 years :(

Ste 12 Feb 2007 22:49

noone is worse than natwest surely?

I'm with Lloyds tsb and have never had any problems...

pig 12 Feb 2007 22:55

I like natwest, never had a problem.

A bank is for life pretty much, its funny how loyal you get.

lokken 12 Feb 2007 23:28

Nationwide.

Better than a bank FFS.

Tomkat 12 Feb 2007 23:56

I'm with Natwest and their service has been tiptop for the 10+ years I've been with them.

Except when it comes to offshore silliness when dealing with a Jersey account and a UK account :(
But then all banks are ridiculous with that - from what I hear.

Tomkat 12 Feb 2007 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken
Nationwide.

Better than a bank FFS.

Hey, it's your money, I mean, I'm just holding it for you, you know. Like a bank. Except that, you know, better than a bank because, you know, banks are always knocked off. And no one knocks off old Tony. And besides, in a bank there's always tons of forms to be filled and all that shit. But old Tony, nothing to read, nothing to write - it's all in his head.

midge5 13 Feb 2007 00:04

Quote:

Nationwide.

Better than a bank FFS.

Agreed, Nationwide have been great for the 12 years or so I have been with them. Not a problem with anything. I opened a HSBC account about 18 months ago and when I used to use branches it was so much easier to use Nationwide.

lokken 13 Feb 2007 00:19

Quote:

Hey, it's your money, I mean, I'm just holding it for you, you know. Like a bank. Except that, you know, better than a bank because, you know, banks are always knocked off. And no one knocks off old Tony. And besides, in a bank there's always tons of forms to be filled and all that shit. But old Tony, nothing to read, nothing to write - it's all in his head.

what is this?

is this from matilda?

lokken 13 Feb 2007 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by midge5
Agreed, Nationwide have been great for the 12 years or so I have been with them. Not a problem with anything. I opened a HSBC account about 18 months ago and when I used to use branches it was so much easier to use Nationwide.

They have customer service, I gain interest.

I don't worry about them.

That's all I need to know.

Tomkat 13 Feb 2007 00:50

Quote:

what is this?

is this from matilda?

MATILDA?!?!

furball 13 Feb 2007 00:53

I use Halifax, their current account has a nice rate of interest and they're pretty good generally.

lokken 13 Feb 2007 01:26

Quote:

MATILDA?!?!

it's a goodbye gift now go clean

voodoo 13 Feb 2007 02:56

Quote:

leon?

lokken 13 Feb 2007 03:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoo
leon?

hey you ruined the thread :(

Dead_Meat 13 Feb 2007 03:13

Clearly, what you should have done is to memorise the contents of this thread which will give you all the necessary information required to know teamwork backwards.

All Systems Go 14 Feb 2007 17:12

I'm sure you'll all dying to hear how it went. The answer is that I've no idea atm.

I had a phonecall yesterday about the job and I phoned back today to organise a face to face interview. I have arranged that for tomorrow.

This afternoon I recieved an e-mail saying 'sorry, but you have failed the phone interview'.

Its all needlessly confusing and I shall not find out until tomorrow whether I actually have an interview or if Providence is once again ****ing with my head.

I shall strive to keep you informed, don't you worry about that!

Appocomaster 15 Feb 2007 10:13

Wait, they organised a face to face interview for passing your phone interview then told you you'd failed it? That is pretty shitty :(
I hope you did ok!

All Systems Go 15 Feb 2007 13:00

Apparantly I was borderline fail so I have to make a 'big impression' in my face to face interview.

It's in a call centre for ****s sake.

Mistwraith 19 Feb 2007 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by furball
I use Halifax, their current account has a nice rate of interest and they're pretty good generally.

Agreed .. i was with natwest, and had nothing but problems with them.

And after seeing the hoops you have to jump through to get online banking done with Barclays, its all so simple with em.