Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [Football] Tottonhem Away (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=189360)

pig 20 Jan 2006 19:22

[Football] Tottonhem Away

Ok so far this seasons ive been to 5 away games and 7 home games, considering I live in the south isnt bad for a villa fan. I have to say that each time I go to an away game I love it as the villa fans sing there hearts out and the team play better.

Anyway tomoz im off to spurs away. It was a bit worrying at first as I booked my ticket about 3 weeks ago, except when I was back in brum last week I forgot to pick it up, I told them I would. Luckily I phoned them up today and they said I can pick it up at spurs which is :cool:

So I was speaking to my dad today and he told me that a couple of seasons ago him and a few of his mates had a bit of trouble down at tottenham. He advised me not to wear a shirt and keep a low profile. This is my first time going to white hart lane on my own the first time I was drunk and went with the official travel.

I want to know if theres any spurs fans or fans who have travelled to tottenham and have heard of any trouble. I heard they have a few active firms who are up for a fight and wait for you outside the away end.

Anyway ill keep a low profile, but was just wondering if anyone know anything (like best way to get there etc)

SYMM 20 Jan 2006 19:33

Re: [Football] Tottonhem Away

You might want to take some advice from Kura on the best thing to say to Spurs fans if you meet any, I heard he was good at that sort of thing.

Kurashima 20 Jan 2006 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYMM
You might want to take some advice from Kura on the best thing to say to Spurs fans if you meet any, I heard he was good at that sort of thing.

I heard you liked a warm cup of shut the **** up.

lokken 20 Jan 2006 20:20

Apparently if there's something Spuds object to, they'll let you know after the game.

Low profile recommended.

Spurs are a ****ing ripoff btw why are you putting money in their pocket.

Smudge 20 Jan 2006 20:39

to finance there (shit) new logo

pig 20 Jan 2006 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken
Apparently if there's something Spuds object to, they'll let you know after the game.

Low profile recommended.

Spurs are a ****ing ripoff btw why are you putting money in their pocket.

£26 is expensive but not as bad as chelsea or shitty

Blastoderm 20 Jan 2006 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smudge
to finance there (shit) new logo

Where? When? What? How?

A good person to ask would be Ragnarak but he hasn't been around for a long time now.

I've been to Spurs once. Here's some tips:

-Keep a low profile. And I mean real low.

-If you're winning and there's 10 mins left in the game, leave immediately and hide your colours. They'll probably be waiting outside to pick on lone away supporters wearing their colours but a lot of the times if you leave early you won't see some of the "ultras scum".

-If you're feeling rich, hire a cab to take you to and from the stadium. Preferably at Tottenham High Road. Ring one of those taxi services like Zingo or something so that they're there when you want it immediately. I think Seven Sisters Station is an ideal station to get to and from the stadium... especially if you leave the stadium 10 mins early.

I hope that helps.

pig 20 Jan 2006 21:30

doesnt make me confident, as sad as it sounds im thinking of buying like a spurs badge before the game, then when i leave put it on...

Blastoderm 20 Jan 2006 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
doesnt make me confident, as sad as it sounds im thinking of buying like a spurs badge before the game, then when i leave put it on...

That's also another piss easy idea. Go for it.

Cannon_Fodder 20 Jan 2006 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig

Just don't go 'F***ing lucky bastards' if villa lose.

pig 20 Jan 2006 22:02

well last time i was wondering through chelsea with my villa shirt on, and my cousin was with me. police prescence was high so we didnt feel any problems and in general chelsea fans have gone upmarket so not much trouble, i loved going to highbury...nice ground and nice fans, but spurs will intrigue me, ive heard nothing but im going to have trouble

Blastoderm 20 Jan 2006 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
i loved going to highbury...nice ground and nice fans,

You'll get the same treatment once they move to Ashburton Grove. :)

pig 20 Jan 2006 22:18

joy, if I was with official travel i wouldnt have to worry i mean what are they going to do to 2000 of us? Just walking back on my own etc, generally though footbally violence doesnt occur that much, havent seen too much for the last 5 years except the villa blose

Reidy 20 Jan 2006 23:55

the only london game that is hasstle is millwall... whl is just a normal away ground, actually its excellent (we scored twice there)

Hicks 21 Jan 2006 06:00

This post is going to sound kind of disorganised.

I'm not going to try and scare you or anything but Spurs do have a very good firm, we had a little bit (a **** load) of trouble a couple of years back in league cup, it's affectionately remembered as "ambush city" and boy can they ambush. There was major disorder all night long and some very nasty clashes, for me it was up there with West Ham and Stoke in terms of scary away trips, that said they were having a bit of a "naughty" season that year and recently they've been quiet.

Honestly I wouldn't be worried though, football isn't what it was 5 or 10 years ago, these days unless you go looking for trouble you generally won't find it. When we went up we were looking for it and hence it went off. Just be cautious with what you wear and do, I'd recommend not wearing a shirt if you can, I'd never wear a shirt anywhere, I learnt that lesson early on at Nottingham Forest with the aid of a switch blade. If you do insist on wearing a shirt then keep it covered at ALL times except in the ground, this includes on the tube, London is a huge place and on a Saturday you never know who (Wolves ?) you're going to run into. Generally though if you're on your own, a genuine supporter and not looking for it then most people will leave you alone, just enjoy the game I'm 99% sure you'll be fine.

I disagree about Millwall being the toughest away trip in London, I'm sure they can turn it on when they want to but the last few times I've been it's not been at all intimidating, it's just been a bunch of 12 year chavs giving it all mouth, recently QPR and West Ham for me have been far more intimidating trips.

pig 21 Jan 2006 11:03

My step brother travels with stoke, he told the myth of milwall disappears quite quickly when a good few thousand are walking through south burmonsdey.

Im just going to enjoy the game, we got charlton in a few weeks time, that should be alot more fun ;p

pig 21 Jan 2006 23:20

No trouble at all, was a good day out, a bit of banter.

My favourite part was at the start of the match the stewards came over and asked us all to sit down, we just laughed.

15 minutes later "sit down or be ejected"

to which the comic reply was

"eject us all then"

and then everyone stood up

there stewards are really quite anal, but its so nice standing up at a football match. ill make a thread on this soon.

Anyway as I said no trouble before or after the match which was :up: although there was a serious lack of police presence which I thought was a bit weird considering....

The match itself we played ****ing shit. Thankgod our defence was on a relative good day (mellberg classy today) and sorenson awesome if you get to watch MOTD, make sure you see the saves he makes they are truly unbelievable. Id be annoyed if I was a spurs fan but im not I see us work and graft for a hard draw and fk it we got, we are now what 5 points off the top half of the table and 10 off the top 6, who knows a good little run like the xmas one and we could be flying up :)

Superpig #1 21 Jan 2006 23:57

Glad to see you didnt get beaten up lol, i always go to home games if i watch a match, then mingle out with the home supporters so it lessens the chance of being attacked.
And wearing shirts to a match is a bit risky unless your in a big group.

I hate Spurs.

Reidy 22 Jan 2006 13:29

have u noticed tommy's saves always look worse on tv? i love the way he just does enough... we were taken down the old kent road in armoured buses to millwall, horrible place

midge5 22 Jan 2006 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
but its so nice standing up at a football match.

I hate it when people stand up. I'm in a seat and want to sit down but I can't ****ing see if others in front decide its better to spend the game standing.

pig 22 Jan 2006 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by midge5
I hate it when people stand up. I'm in a seat and want to sit down but I can't ****ing see if others in front decide its better to spend the game standing.

sit in the family stand then, I think there should be a choice wether u want to stand up or sit down, personally i like to stand up when watching my footy, but some days ill want to sit down, on the whole standing up though.

Hicks 22 Jan 2006 14:52

I couldn't imagine sitting down at football, if I wanted to sit down I'd watch it at home on Sky.

http://www.safestanding.com/ is a campaign to put pressure on the clubs and government to allow some form of "safe standing" like in Europe. It's been running quite a while but hasn't got very far :(

JonnyBGood 22 Jan 2006 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
sit in the family stand then, I think there should be a choice wether u want to stand up or sit down, personally i like to stand up when watching my footy, but some days ill want to sit down, on the whole standing up though.

Standing up in the seating area makes you a self-absorbed jackass.

midge5 22 Jan 2006 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
sit in the family stand then.

I used to do that just to get cheap tickets :P (ad advantage of looking young) but them kids with horns, omfg I just wanted to ram the things down their throat. The most annoying thing ever. So when the entire stadium is standing I shouldn't be forced to sit there just in order to enjoy the match.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hicks
I couldn't imagine sitting down at football, if I wanted to sit down I'd watch it at home on Sky.

http://www.safestanding.com/ is a campaign to put pressure on the clubs and government to allow some form of "safe standing" like in Europe. It's been running quite a while but hasn't got very far

Being short having everyone stand up is hell, when there is goal mouth action/a run near the try line, if I am stuck behind a group of men who are about 6 foot then I can't see anything except the back of their heads. I don't mind that so much but if it was done for most the game there would be no point me going. I'm also extremely unfit so my knees start to hurt if I stand up for 90 minutes :( But its worth going to the game rather than tv for me just to soak up the atmosphere, it is just far better.

Shame the safe standing is going nowhere though as that makes more sense than having loads of people standing up around seats and annoying people like me when both groups could be happy with that solution.

pig 22 Jan 2006 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hicks
I couldn't imagine sitting down at football, if I wanted to sit down I'd watch it at home on Sky.(

The way I feel

Quote:

Originally Posted by midge5
Being short having everyone stand up is hell, when there is goal mouth action/a run near the try line, if I am stuck behind a group of men who are about 6 foot then I can't see anything except the back of their heads. I don't mind that so much but if it was done for most the game there would be no point me going. I'm also extremely unfit so my knees start to hurt if I stand up for 90 minutes But its worth going to the game rather than tv for me just to soak up the atmosphere, it is just far better.

its ashame really, but there are some parts where people sit down for most of the 90 minutes in every ground

lokken 22 Jan 2006 15:28

If the game is a midfield shitfest then by all means I'll sit down.

If the action is coming down my end (I don't sit alongside the pitch) I'll near always stand up, and to be honest so will everyone else.

TBH they should allow standing on the ends, but not alongside the pitch as one person standing ****s it up for a lot of people. And to be honest, it would suit the kind of fans who sit at "ends" of a pitch.

Fact is you will never get safe standing because away fans of a lot of clubs are complete knuckle draggers who often do things to purposely antagonise stewards - while most of the time they left alone, there will always be the odd incident where the stewards start ejecting people and trouble starts.

pig 22 Jan 2006 15:33

Great idea allowing the ends to be standing and the sides to seating, btw my dad was telling me that when pompey played villa at fratton park the first season you were in the premier, your stewards were ovally anal about standing because they just made it to the premier etc. Villa stewards dont seem to bad, i watch the away fans and most of them stand up if they choose so, if you want to stand at the villa go to holte upper, sit down then go to trinity/doug upper etc.

lokken 22 Jan 2006 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
Great idea allowing the ends to be standing and the sides to seating, btw my dad was telling me that when pompey played villa at fratton park the first season you were in the premier, your stewards were ovally anal about standing because they just made it to the premier etc. Villa stewards dont seem to bad, i watch the away fans and most of them stand up if they choose so, if you want to stand at the villa go to holte upper, sit down then go to trinity/doug upper etc.

From what I remember it was during a time of 'crackdown' on standing by the council.

JonnyBGood 22 Jan 2006 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
its ashame really, but there are some parts where people sit down for most of the 90 minutes in every ground

Maybe that's because it's a seating area? The club sell you tickets to sit down and watch the game, not stand up and watch the game.

Nodrog 22 Jan 2006 16:55

I cant picture Hicks as a football hooligan :o

MrL_JaKiri 22 Jan 2006 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Maybe that's because it's a seating area? The club sell you tickets to sit down and watch the game, not stand up and watch the game.

However, because the philosophy of many football clubs is "pack em in tight", there's not enough leg room for a child, let alone anyone over six foot.

Old Trafford is a fine example of this, and, ENTIRELY BY COINCIDENCE, the home fans stand pretty much all the time.

JonnyBGood 22 Jan 2006 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
However, because the philosophy of many football clubs is "pack em in tight", there's not enough leg room for a child, let alone anyone over six foot.

Old Trafford is a fine example of this, and, ENTIRELY BY COINCIDENCE, the home fans stand pretty much all the time.

I thought the whole problem with Old Trafford was that the fans were shit and didn't stand or sing or anything? And I severely doubt that it's physically impossible/a danger to your health if you sit down for two forty-five minute periods. You might find it uncomfortable but then of course you have the option of not going.

MrL_JaKiri 22 Jan 2006 17:35

Quote:

I thought the whole problem with Old Trafford was that the fans were shit and didn't stand or sing or anything?

There are two problems with the OT fans. One is that they're shit fans, and only sing when they're winning. The second is that they never sit down. One of those is because of the stadium, the other isn't.

Quote:

And I severely doubt that it's physically impossible/a danger to your health if you sit down for two forty-five minute periods. You might find it uncomfortable but then of course you have the option of not going.

It puts you in a pretty large amount of pain is what it does. Furthermore, "just not going" is hardly much of an alternative when you consider that Old Trafford is the venue for many matches that you may not see the like of again in 10 years - the Sunderland/Millwall FA Cup Semi Final, for example. When Sunderland are the favourites in an FA Cup semi and it's at a place with decent seating, drop me a line.

Furthermore, it's not like there are any non-seating areas, which you implied in your post - I'd go for those in a moment.

JonnyBGood 22 Jan 2006 17:45

It's not much of an alternative but it's an alternative nonetheless. Personally I'd blame your shitty government for having shitty laws but I hear government interference is a wonderful thing :)

There used to be standing room at lansdowne road for rugby matches but I think they're getting rid of it now with the stadium being upgraded :(

Alki 22 Jan 2006 17:56

low profile asif, just let loose and take the piss till your hearts content, if you end up in hospital at least you did it with style:cool:

pig 22 Jan 2006 18:13

Quote:

Its difficult because when sitting down and watching a match, you get up every 5 minutes, due to the action. Not only this but most people who watch football are grown men, who are tall, not in shape etc, its quite difficult sitting down in those conditions.

The only way is to have a standing area and a sitting area then all parties are happy, as you said our gvmnts shit so i doubt this will happen, although with enough lobbying etc who knows...

Nodrog 22 Jan 2006 18:30

Quote:

It's not much of an alternative but it's an alternative nonetheless. Personally I'd blame your shitty government for having shitty laws but I hear government interference is a wonderful thing :)

Dont UEFA/FIFA require you to have an all-seater stadium to play in their competitions?

MrL_JaKiri 22 Jan 2006 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
Dont UEFA/FIFA require you to have an all-seater stadium to play in their competitions?

No, you can only use the seater parts for it.

German stadia, for example, have terraced areas, they're just not permitted to use them in European competition.

Hicks 22 Jan 2006 18:50

Quote:

I cant picture Hicks as a football hooligan :o

Me either thank God :)

Ste 22 Jan 2006 19:09

Quote:

The premiership require you to have all-seater stadiums.
In fact the football league generally does too but it allows you to have them if you have a decent excuse. "we just got promoted" or "we can't afford to build a new stand" are both acceptable.

Please can we not forget why we have all-seater stadiums though.

JonnyBGood 22 Jan 2006 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste
The premiership require you to have all-seater stadiums.
In fact the football league generally does too but it allows you to have them if you have a decent excuse. "we just got promoted" or "we can't afford to build a new stand" are both acceptable.

Please can we not forget why we have all-seater stadiums though.

Because over-reaction is not just for christmas?

pig 22 Jan 2006 19:25

http://football.guardian.co.uk/bluep...606707,00.html

quite an interesting read there

lokken 22 Jan 2006 19:31

Quote:

Because over-reaction is not just for christmas?

Because in standing stadiums, it's more difficult to pick out pricks causing trouble, because if you are allocated a seat and misbehave the club can get hold of your address and ban you even if you aren't caught at the ground.

Personally while I'd like to see safe standing, it seems to make much more sense to be all seater, and simply have sections of the ground where fans generally stand, and sections where fans generally don't.

MrL_JaKiri 22 Jan 2006 19:34

Quote:

Because in standing stadiums, it's more difficult to pick out pricks causing trouble, because if you are allocated a seat and misbehave the club can get hold of your address and ban you even if you aren't caught at the ground.

I don't think that was the argument in the Taylor Report, duder.

lokken 22 Jan 2006 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I don't think that was the argument in the Taylor Report, duder.

Does that stop it from being a good justification for keeping them?

And as for the Taylor Report - the thought of me being caught in a surge of fans caused by a couple of drunken pricks is too scary to contemplate so I think it had a point.

With seating, troublemakers get picked out and removed.

MrL_JaKiri 22 Jan 2006 19:51

Quote:

Does that stop it from being a good justification for keeping them?

No, but it still makes your argument factually incorrect. You suggested that we had seating because it makes things more difficult for troublemakers, and this isn't true.

Quote:

And as for the Taylor Report - the thought of me being caught in a surge of fans caused by a couple of drunken pricks is too scary to contemplate so I think it had a point.

With seating, troublemakers get picked out and removed.

False dichotomy, and you're also trivialising the Hillsborough disaster.

Ste 22 Jan 2006 21:48

don't forget the Heysel disaster as well.

MrL_JaKiri 22 Jan 2006 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste
don't forget the Heysel disaster as well.

As far as I'm aware, the Heysel disaster had little to do with terraces vs seats.

Nodrog 22 Jan 2006 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig

I have no real opinion on terracing vs seating since I dont attend football games, but most of the 'no' person's arguments are exceptionally stupid.

pig 22 Jan 2006 22:21

thats what I was thinking whilst reading it. I loved in a typical politician way how he put himself out as a real football fan at the start and then just turned into someone knowing nothing and arguing nothing