Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Defrag (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196521)

All Systems Go 24 May 2008 11:54

Defrag

A lot of people say the disk defragmenter that comes with Windows (any version) is shit.

Why is it shit?

What would be a good alternative for

a) Windows XP

and

b) Windows Vista.

???

Edit: Is this any good?

Achilles 24 May 2008 12:24

Re: Defrag

Windows D.F. is kinda slow and lacks polish graphically. Also, if your file fragmentation rate is very high and you have little free space you may have to run it twice.

I still use it though. I doubt I'll ever care enough about defragmenting to change.

Mzyxptlk 24 May 2008 12:37

The only real objection I have against Windows Defrag is the fact that you need 15% free disk space in order to be able to run it. In the past I've been forced to burn a bunch of DVDs to free the space required.

That said, I use it as well, simply because I'm too lazy to find a better one.

Hebdomad 24 May 2008 15:43

It's shocking windows still uses a filesystem that needs to be defragmented.

All Systems Go 24 May 2008 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hebdomad

Is this the part where you tell up that your're secretly a Mac user and burst into tears before you spend six weeks in rehab getting off the shininess of Apple?

Hebdomad 24 May 2008 16:40

Okay, here's how you read this post:

Pick up a pen. Move your swivel chair back two arms-length away from your monitor. Outstretch an arm and place the pen in that hand. Turn counter-clockwise twice. Now attempt to flick the pen at your monitor. If the pen hits

This side

then the answer is yes. If it hits
This side
then the answer is no.

djbass 24 May 2008 22:51

Quote:

That part is debatable. As drives have become bigger & technology & file management changed there are many in the IT world that believe disk defragmenting is no longer relevant.

Mistwraith 24 May 2008 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achilles
Windows D.F. is kinda slow and lacks polish graphically. Also, if your file fragmentation rate is very high and you have little free space you may have to run it twice.

I still use it though. I doubt I'll ever care enough about defragmenting to change.

Same, since when it does need doing i just set it to go and go to bed, so i dont have to see the thing doing it.

But for style points, the xp one gets the thumbs down wholeheartedly, 98 was much more fun to watch.

Mzyxptlk 25 May 2008 01:45

Definite agree there.

Androme 25 May 2008 03:22

Quote:

It's shocking windows still uses a filesystem

It's shocking that your windows has a filesystem instead of keys/key cards.

Hebdomad 26 May 2008 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by djbass
That part is debatable. As drives have become bigger & technology & file management changed there are many in the IT world that believe disk defragmenting is no longer relevant.

I always thought that unix-based filesystems mitigated or abated filesystem fragmentation. I had thought this because of my experience with unix filesystems, around 15 years. After you said that I checked a little bit, and I found out that those filesystems in fact do have defragmentation tools (I assumed they didn't need them...). Anyway, here's an explanation why FAT32 is pretty awful when it comes to fragmentation.

Mzyxptlk 26 May 2008 14:29

No one uses FAT32 anymore, do they?

Hebdomad 26 May 2008 14:46

I'm not going to research into NTFS, so let's just assume it's as bad.