Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Personality Test (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=195948)

You Are Gay 10 Jan 2008 13:07

Personality Test

So, due to a work development type programme, i took one, Myers-Briggs, a few weeks ago and i passed. High fives all round and whatnot. I got the feedback today.

Apparantly i'm a Mastermind (queue evil laugh ... MUWAHAHAHAHAHA).

I went through this process as it was "suggested" by my mentor (suggested in so far as he said he wouldn't really be able to guide my development if he didn't know my type or at least he'd find it difficult or something). I approached the whole thing in quite a sceptical manner (the people who devised the test weren't trained scientists after all). Suprisingly i feel the test has helped me. Sitting the test i got a couple of characteristics different from my actual type. This was due to me answering the questions in a "How i act now" fashion rather than "How i feel most relaxed acting" which just goes to show i might not be in the best job for me if i have to modify my behaviour so much. That is, however, a completely seperate point. It also pointed out some weakness in my interaction with people that i was already vaguely aware of. The test showed me how i could improve this though so i'm actually quite grateful.

Anyway there are some tests in this old thread. I'm not sure how much use the tests will be on there own as feedback seems to be an essential part of the process. Sit them or not i'd just thought i'd mention about my day.

All Systems Go 10 Jan 2008 14:09

Re: Personality Test

'You have no personality, you terrible excuse for a human being.' :crymeariver:

All Systems Go 10 Jan 2008 14:13

Only joking, I'll take it later.

Mzyxptlk 10 Jan 2008 14:50

INFJ - Counselor.

djbass 10 Jan 2008 15:14

Apparently I am also a Mastermind (INTJ)

SilverSmoke 10 Jan 2008 15:40

INTJ, that's 'weird' as I'm not a mastermind at all wich might be reduntant to say.

CjC 10 Jan 2008 15:45

I took the test ages ago.

ENFP Champion

cura 10 Jan 2008 16:40

who else is hoping horn won't have the same result as himself?

cura 10 Jan 2008 17:19

as himself? not sure what the correct gramatical version of the sentence I'm trying to construct is :(

also just noticed I ignored your question because I'm a mean person, to redeem myself here's the link to the thread again and below the links to the tests!
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...ighlight=myers

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm
http://www.advisorteam.com/temperame...r/register.asp
http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?te...47196786251960

KaneED 10 Jan 2008 18:07

I'm an INFJ like Mz but I hate him I hope i@m not like him!

wu_trax 10 Jan 2008 20:03

ENTJ, which doesnt fit at all, although i tried to answer everything truthfully.

furball 10 Jan 2008 20:21

ENTP - Inventor

Quote:

The ENTP has been described variously as the innovator, the originator, the lawyer, the inventor, the explorer, and the visionary.

From the 2005 PA forums thread:

Quote:

ENTPs are usually verbally as well as cerebrally quick, and generally love to argue--both for its own sake, and to show off their often-impressive skills. They tend to have a perverse sense of humor as well, and enjoy playing devil's advocate. They sometimes confuse, even inadvertently hurt, those who don't understand or accept the concept of argument as a sport.

(if you did the test a few months ago on PB, the thread is here)

Achilles 10 Jan 2008 20:23

INTJ on the Myers-Briggs which is kind of dull. I did another test on OkCupid that was funnier and possibly more accurate. According to them I'm a Manchild.

Leshy 11 Jan 2008 01:43

Apparently I'm an INTP in all of the tests, hurray!

That makes me an Architect.

Hebdomad 11 Jan 2008 02:41

Guise, guise, guise...

Mzyxptlk 11 Jan 2008 10:19

Though the test is clearly flawed; there's no role variant for idiot.

Ste 11 Jan 2008 11:16

today I'm an ENFJ!

Nodrog 11 Jan 2008 13:17

Myers-Briggs is nonsense, but whats more interesting is the way that people continue to participate in these tests even when they dont believe the results are especially meaningful. Its kind of like horoscopes I guess; noone actually thinks they have real validity, but many people enjoy reading them anyway because its 'fun' (I suppose you can put voting in political elections into the same category)

You Are Gay 11 Jan 2008 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
Myers-Briggs is nonsense, but whats more interesting is the way that people continue to participate in these tests even when they dont believe the results are especially meaningful. Its kind of like horoscopes I guess; noone actually thinks they have real validity, but many people enjoy reading them anyway because its 'fun' (I suppose you can put voting in political elections into the same category)

Like i said, i participated as it was doubtful i'd get much more support from my mentor if i didn't. Being the positive kind of guy i am i tried to gain something from the experience.

djbass 11 Jan 2008 15:39

Quote:

I don't disagree, but I think you'll find those people are driven to try anyway to see how they match up against their fellow man. The interpretation of the results may be bogus, but two people getting the same result could potentially indicate that they share simular interests or qualities as one another.

I find the same phenomenon occurs in a group of people watching a game show (which I equally detest). They wont be winning any prizes or large somes of money from participating in the game show, yet they feel compelled to shout out answers at the TV set and compare quiz notes all the same.

All Systems Go 11 Jan 2008 15:42

Derren Brown gathered a groupd of 6 people together.

He gave them all an enveloope with a detailed critique of their personality.

I think 5 out of the 6 people said it was very accurate.

The same critique was in the same envelope for every person.

Shazam!

Edit: only one more post to go. Are you as excited as I am?

Yahwe 11 Jan 2008 16:23

Quote:

I agree entirely which is why i find lines like the one below so amusing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You Are Gay
i took one a few weeks ago and i passed.

You Are Gay 11 Jan 2008 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
I agree entirely which is why i find lines like the one below so amusing.

I'm glad you found it amusing as that is what i intended.

Yahwe 11 Jan 2008 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by You Are Gay
I'm glad you found it amusing as that is what i intended.

Darling do remember to not address your betters directly; just doff your cap and mumble something polite.

Tomkat 11 Jan 2008 16:48

afternoon, lovely day for it guv'nor

cura 11 Jan 2008 18:19

Quote:

i think it's cause so many people are on a quest for self identification

(too serious for this thread? :()

furball 11 Jan 2008 19:35

Quote:

It may be impossible to prove that it's not nonsense, but my category certainly seemed more accurate than any of the others. Or do you believe that it's impossible to categorise personalities?

Nodrog 11 Jan 2008 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by furball
It may be impossible to prove that it's not nonsense, but my category certainly seemed more accurate than any of the others. Or do you believe that it's impossible to categorise personalities?

I think the more fundamental question is why you would want to categorise personalities. I dont think its an accident that the Myers-Briggs test has its origin in industrial psychology - it was intended for use in a corporate environment to ensure that people-pegs were put into the right holes, and this is still its most widespread application today. I find it hard to shake the idea that the whole thing is suited to a Brave New World type society where the fundamental social goal is to place people into their correct positions in order to ensure social harmony, regardless of whether this is condusive to individual happyness/development (I'm not suggesting that this was the actual motivation that the creators of M-B had, just that it fits into this sort of project in general). More specifically, I hate dislike M-B for the following reasons:

1) Trying to quantify personalities has its roots in positivist psychology and like most positivist psychology, it tends to ignore the complexity of human consciousness in order to reduce everything to 'neat' categories. Theres something really pathological about talking about there being 16 'types' of people, as if the huge amount of individual variance you encounter throughout human history is that easy to categorise. At most, M-B would be a typification of the people that existed in the society where the test was made, and if that society only allowed for 16 different types then that would be a pretty serious indictment of it. In any case, it's really not clear to me what the quantitative approach of M-B adds to the qualitative Jungian archetype theory which inspired it.

2) The Myers-Briggs test assumes that a 'personality' is something fixed that a person carries around with them through their day-to-day life, and that it makes sense to oppose character traits which are taken as mutually exclusive. In reality, people will generally exhibit different personality traits in different environments; someone who is 'introverted' in a workplace environment may be quite different in a pub with close friends, or in an internet chatroom. I think theres a real sense in which 'personality' doesnt exist; people generally act and think very differently in different circumstances, and trying to pick one particular set of conditions as being 'normal' and representative of their true self is somewhat dubious.

More fundamentally, trying to split personality traits into an either/or categorization schema implicity promotes the idea that its acceptable for a person to be too narrowly focused in one direction rather than striving for a healthy balance between extremes. This again goes back to the industrial psychology origins; if your goal is primarilly to have a productive workforce then it makes sense to have a test which puts people in boxes, but this sort of thing is probably opposed to the healthy development of individuals. I suppose its possible for a test like M-B to be used in a humanistic setting by making people aware of imbalances in their character due to modes of thought/living which they are neglecting, but this is not generally the use to which it is put.

3) M-B takes a strongly uncritical attitude towards politics and the education system by remaining silent on why people have the personality traits they do. This ties into the above; its not clear how you can distinguish between someone who is 'naturally' a Perceiving person, and someone who would become Judging if they were exposed to scientific education. It would only make sense to talk about a person's natural preference for a specific mode of thought if they had been exposed to many different kinds, and I dont think that this is generally true in modern society. Also, in its strongest form, M-B seems to suggest that the difference between (eg) a person who is extremely pro-science and one who prefers intuitive religion/spirituality is ultimately a subjective matter of personality traits rather than being something that can be judged as right or wrong and traced back to its social origins.

4) Even if it were possible to categorize personalities, there isnt really any evidence that the M-B test does so 'correctly'. Most of the questions are far too open and broad to be answered yes/no, and you could easily imagine different people selecting the same option for very different reasons (this is a problem with pretty much all quantitative psychology and psychometrics really). Theres also no scientific evidence that the assignments the test produces are 'correct', nor is it clear what correctness means here or how youd go about testing for it.

Quote:

but my category certainly seemed more accurate than any of the others. Or do you believe that it's impossible to categorise personalities?
Then whats the point of asking all those questions? Why not just give people the list of categories and ask them to pick the one that best describes them?

Tomkat 11 Jan 2008 21:11

Quote:

Then whats the point of asking all those questions? Why not just give people the list of categories and ask them to pick the one that best describes them?

People like to validate themselves and reassure themselves of who they are and how they act. The test rarely says anything negative about the personality, rather it sugarcoats any negative attributes.

It's the grown-up version of deciding which Thundercat you wanted to be (I was always Lion-o, because I liked to be the leader and boss people around!!).

Hebdomad 11 Jan 2008 22:21

Cheetara was hot. Panthra was definitely the best though.

Deepflow 11 Jan 2008 23:09

panthro

Tomkat 11 Jan 2008 23:29

hey guys i did a personality test for you; the results are below :)

Lion-o = horn because he's tough and doesn't hold back
Tigra = nodrog because he is a bit weird but still loyal to liono
Panthro = jer because he's an ethnic minority
Cheetara = vampy because she's the token girl
Mumm-ra = yahwe because he's immortal and kind of mean
Wilykit = Kila because he's an annoying kid
Snarf = furball

MrL_JaKiri 11 Jan 2008 23:34

I represent the Ro-Bear Berbils.

furball 11 Jan 2008 23:47

For starters Nod, I think it's a mistake to criticise the test because of the motives for its own existence. The test either works or it doesn't. The fact that it's primarily used in the corporate/industrial environments (if what you say is correct) is neither here nor there - you may criticise the fact that it's used and the motives for using it, but it seems a little strange to criticise the test itself.

So, why take it?

I'd say that there's a natural human curiosity in tests such as these to see the results. Some are automatically cynical and just take them to see how accurate they are. Some like to see how they're classified and how that matches up against other people. Others are genuinely amazed to discover their own personalities....they're usually the people who read their horoscopes as well. I realise that you weren't attempting to directly compare M-B with horoscopes, but the two are clearly different: M-B is based on the responses of the testee, horoscopes are not.

Can such tests be accurate?

It depends on the number and type of questions they ask. Your standard internet test is usually pretty terrible. Then again, if you're taking a test that guesses your penis size then you really shouldn't have high expectations.

Quote:

Extroverted (E) 72.97% Introverted (I) 27.03%
Intuitive (N) 56.67% Sensing (S) 43.33%
Thinking (T) 50% Feeling (F) 50%
Perceiving (P) 64.71% Judging (J) 35.29%
What I like about Myers-Briggs is that it doesn't simply try to pigeon-hole you into one of the 16 categories. It also gives you percentage feedback so that you can see how clearly you incline towards the particular indicators. Speaking of which, actually, you do need to consider the indicators produced by the test - if you don't accept those as providing useful information about someone's personality then the basis of the debate is essentially destroyed.

Quote:

2) The Myers-Briggs test assumes that a 'personality' is something fixed that a person carries around with them through their day-to-day life, and that it makes sense to oppose character traits which are taken as mutually exclusive. In reality, people will generally exhibit different personality traits in different environments; someone who is 'introverted' in a workplace environment may be quite different in a pub with close friends, or in an internet chatroom. I think theres a real sense in which 'personality' doesnt exist; people generally act and think very differently in different circumstances, and trying to pick one particular set of conditions as being 'normal' and representative of their true self is somewhat dubious.

This is the point of showing percentage inclinations towards each personality type. It's rare for people to be 50%/50% in every category, so even if there's no definite outcome in one category (which is a revelation in itself) then the other three will still show tangible indicators.

IRC raised the possibility that your answers will vary according to your mood and situation. However, that's an indicator in itself, although one that can't really be covered by a single test taken once. What it shows is how your personality alters and reacts according to different events and situations. If you took the test ten times over a couple of months then you should get a more reliable test result.

Quote:

3) M-B takes a strongly uncritical attitude towards politics and the education system by remaining silent on why people have the personality traits they do. This ties into the above; its not clear how you can distinguish between someone who is 'naturally' a Perceiving person, and someone who would become Judging if they were exposed to scientific education. It would only make sense to talk about a person's natural preference for a specific mode of thought if they had been exposed to many different kinds, and I dont think that this is generally true in modern society. Also, in its strongest form, M-B seems to suggest that the difference between (eg) a person who is extremely pro-science and one who prefers intuitive religion/spirituality is ultimately a subjective matter of personality traits rather than being something that can be judged as right or wrong and traced back to its social origins.
You miss the point. The test isn't there to judge the political and education systems, nor the influences upon the testee's life. What the test evaluates is the subject's personality at that point in time. Personalities change, it's a fact and it's hardly a secret.

Quote:

Because people are often wrong. Tests ask specific questions and construct results from them that the testees shouldn't have any control over.

djbass 12 Jan 2008 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
It's the grown-up version of deciding which Thundercat you wanted to be (I was always Lion-o, because I liked to be the leader and boss people around!!).

Hmm.. round my parts we used TMNT. I was Leonardo.

Tomkat 12 Jan 2008 15:31

Leonardo leads! (me :alpha: )
Donatello does machines! (idimmu!)
Raphael's cool but crude! (horn!)
Michaelangelo is a party dude! (Phil^)

djbass 12 Jan 2008 17:07

ha! I never imagined Phil as much of a party dude :P

Demon Dave 12 Jan 2008 18:50

I'm somewhere between and ISTJ (Inspector) and INTJ (Mastermind)

JonnyBGood 12 Jan 2008 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Most people are naval gazing twats and therefore quite enjoy learning things about themselves, no matter how obvious those things might seem.

Navel, naval gazing is where you jerk off to military history while looking at pictures of aircraft carriers.

Yahwe 12 Jan 2008 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Navel, naval gazing is where you jerk off to military history while looking at pictures of aircraft carriers.

Tacitus then

Hebdomad 12 Jan 2008 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
The real reason for doing Myers-Briggs is that it is quite a clever way of teaching people about diversity. Lots of people say "why do I leave everything to the last minute" and Myers_Briggs just says "that's the person who you are and there are positive sides to that sort of personality too."

qft.

Allfather 12 Jan 2008 20:54

http://www.okcupid.com/personality?type=RBSM&g=1&o=1

Sun_Tzu 12 Jan 2008 21:06

Most people who know me could have probably just guessed it, but I'm ENTP.

Incidentally *NTP is the most common result for people with ADHD from what I've observed(not a very random sampling though I'm afraid, all Mensans etc.).

Yahwe 12 Jan 2008 21:30

oh good the freaks from the other boards have come

what a brilliant thread

qebab 13 Jan 2008 12:22

I've taken a couple, and always ended up being INTP.

All Systems Go 13 Jan 2008 12:55

How can a test which depends on the subject giving subjective answers about themselves produce meaningful, objective results?

Sun_Tzu 13 Jan 2008 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
How can a test which depends on the subject giving subjective answers about themselves produce meaningful, objective results?

All psychology depends on your subjective views of yourself. Honesty is key for meaningful answers and results.

cura 13 Jan 2008 16:10

many people can't be honest towards themselves though (edit: read the reply of mzysdfhldsn, that's what I meant!), I tried to answer the questions based on how I would react in an example situation I drew up myself, but depending on the example situation I'd always react differently
you (I) can't just give an answer on theoretical questions like that in a correct way

Tomkat 13 Jan 2008 16:20

I finally did this (procrastination!) and apparently I'm ESFJ..

Have we got a list of who here is which type?

Quote:

Guardians of birthdays, holidays and celebrations, ESFJs are generous entertainers. They enjoy and joyfully observe traditions and are liberal in giving, especially where custom prescribes.

All else being equal, ESFJs enjoy being in charge. They see problems clearly and delegate easily, work hard and play with zest. ESFJs, as do most SJs, bear strong allegiance to rights of seniority. They willingly provide service (which embodies life's meaning) and expect the same from others.
I guess it applies to me (:alpha: ) but then there's lots of other descriptions of my personality that would apply equally applicably.

Mzyxptlk 13 Jan 2008 17:32

Honesty is not the same thing as objectivity you fools.