Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A GD reddit? (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196249)

Hebdomad 22 Mar 2008 00:47

A GD reddit?

I guess we all read quite a few articles of interest on the internet. (Right?) It'd be quite awesome if we could all share and comment on the articles other GD users read.

I quite like reddit.com. But I'm not really part of the oh-my-god-Ron-Paul group of netizens, so it's not ideal for me. But I'm sure I'd be interested in what you're reading :o They may spawn interesting threads at least.

There's nothing really stopping us from starting topics with links to articles in them now (except for the fact the first comment is bound to by yahwe claiming the poster's mentally retarted for reading or posting such an article).

But, still, no-one's doing it. So, do you think we should attempt some kind of link aggregation and comment thing here - maybe in a separate forum or whatever?

Yahwe 22 Mar 2008 01:03

Re: A GD reddit?

I'd rather you read books.

KaneED 22 Mar 2008 01:21

Who is Ron Paul?

Boogster 22 Mar 2008 10:40

Yeah, that's a cool idea. I'd be up for it.

pablissimo 22 Mar 2008 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaneED
Who is Ron Paul?

Fred Astaire. At the end of Towering Inferno.

qebab 24 Mar 2008 12:00

On the topic of articles we've read, I recently read Lockharts Lament, and really liked it. It's a bit too specific for mathematics education in the US (I think?), but there were still a few things there that reflected a lot on how mathematics is taught in Norway. Recommended reading if you hated mathematics in school.

Edit: Credit where credit's due, thanks for the link mz!

Mzyxptlk 24 Mar 2008 17:30

In that light, thanks Hebdomad!

dda 26 Mar 2008 01:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaneED
Who is Ron Paul?

An American politician.

A Republican who is against the war. How silly.

TheShadowMan 26 Mar 2008 01:48

in no particular order

theonion.com
technology/science/nature section on news.bbc.co.uk
www.ireland.com
etrade.com
theregister.co.uk

that usually keeps me going for my daily intake of who cares whats going on in the world

[DW]Entropy 26 Mar 2008 10:40

People who go out to revise current affairs just so they can waffle on about it really have too much free time...or it's mid round. Why not just have people who know what you're talking about commenting on your thread instead of people who've gone out to see what you're on about and then made a half arsed attempt about something they vaguely understand. Talk about what you know, but don't try to talk about what you don't.

All Systems Go 26 Mar 2008 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy
Talk about what you know, but don't try to talk about what you don't.

I would suggest that the latter makes the former far easier.

Structural Integrity 26 Mar 2008 20:01

Last real article I read (skimmed over) was about mesh simplification algorithms.

All Systems Go 16 Apr 2008 19:52

I don't really read that much on the internet, but I've enjoyed some of the essays that have appeared in this thread. Whilst I normally read books, I would be appreciative if people could recommend some good articles (I only really need one of each at this stage) on the following topics:

Intellectual property rights
Property
General theory of education
Some kind of essay on national health
Practicalities and difficulties of anarchism

Here are just a few topics off the top of my head. This isn't a request for people to google stuff for me, but rather a request for essays on these (or similar) topics which you already have at hand.