Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Down and Out In London (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=194308)

All Systems Go 18 Apr 2007 14:13

Down and Out In London

Here are the facts:

1) I am in London
2) I am sleeping on a friends floor
3) I have nowhere to live
4) I have no money
5) I have no job
6) I have no previous work experiance

I have had my application for an overdraft extension rejected even though I was told it would be no problem before I left home.

Today I have been rejected from working in a bar because I have no experiance, also I have not heard back about two jobs back home; one in data processing, the other in Iceland so I did not get either.

In short, I need a job and I need it now. Anything will do and for any duration as long as I can start on Monday at the latest. Any ideas before I have go back home with my tail between my legs?

pig 18 Apr 2007 14:49

Re: Down and Out In London

Subway are always hiring, same with McDonalds, or any other fast food joint.

I would suggest pop into a temping agency and do it through there.

Begging could also get you a sizeable amount of money for essentially doing nothing.

Boogster 18 Apr 2007 15:03

Temping agency, if you feel like renting out your soul. Manpower are the quickest in Manchester; no idea about London.

KoeN 18 Apr 2007 15:06

become a paperboy.

Hicks 18 Apr 2007 15:12

Go into Reed or one of the other recruiting agencies and ask them to find you some temporary work, they'll sort you out quite quickly. There's like 13473252 jobs in London, it's still shit though.

Rinoa 18 Apr 2007 17:07

and u spent the last of your money in an internet cafe? Played.

if youre musical at all i suggest busking they seem to pull in about in £200+ a week which tax free and a lot less hours is a better option.

Dante Hicks 18 Apr 2007 17:10

Make sure your CV looks half-decent, exaggerate your experience and go into every agency, bar, fast-food joint and shop until you find something.

furball 18 Apr 2007 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinoa
if youre musical at all i suggest busking they seem to pull in about in £200+ a week which tax free and a lot less hours is a better option.

The operative word there being 'seem'.

Hicks 18 Apr 2007 17:59

Also do you not have any family friends who own businesses ? You could try and get them to provide a reference for you if you have no experience. Also for graduates (which I think you are) university societies provide lots of examples of transferable skills which would be appropriate for work.

All Systems Go 18 Apr 2007 18:42

Quote:

and u spent the last of your money in an internet cafe? Played.

I would have been proud of that, but I'm afraid I am using the PC of a friend.

Quote:

I play guitar though I don't have one to hand, am not very good and can't sing. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hicks
Also do you not have any family friends who own businesses ? You could try and get them to provide a reference for you if you have no experience.

Not a one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hicks
Also for graduates (which I think you are) university societies provide lots of examples of transferable skills which would be appropriate for work.

I didn't join any so I'm gonig to have to lie. A lot. I'm so bad at it though. :confused:

As the situation stands I have a job trial in Highgate. It requires me to work Friday and if they like me I get a trial for another week then iv goes permanant. Aside from the numerous difficulties of this it is £232 a week (a little over £11k a year) and I'm not sure if I can actually live on that.

Hebdomad 18 Apr 2007 19:01

Become a skaghead rentboy! Your lack of experience may be a benefit rather than a disadvantage.

You could work in a factory, I suppose. Temping may work. There are plenty of agencies. All you need is a decent typing speed as I remember. But you know, although you can apparently go from zero to hero, I'd spent more time planning. Don't worry about going home "with your tail between your legs". That only becomes a problem if you value other people's opinions more than you value your own. I'd work on a better plan than just Go To London.

A friend of mine did something similar. He went to London and moved in with friends there. He stayed in a friend's room. He eventually got a job. He hates it and gets around 12 grand a year, which is below the minimum wage, he knows. He's now even got a girlfriend he liked a lot. But the thing is, where's he going? I would have thought it'd be better if he planned his life out a little better.

pablissimo 18 Apr 2007 19:32

Agencies are normally good, provided that you take whatever they give you. I've worked for at least a couple where they gave me shitty jobs (industrial laundry cleaning anyone?) with hopeless drug-addicts and whores, but once I'd gotten through two or three of those (and we're talking no more than 2 or 3 days at each) I got pushed to call-centre. You'll not likely get outbound without previous experience unless you're particularly outgoing, but inbound is relatively easy to get, pays minimum plus a bit and there's generally as much overtime as you can stand.

Don't try 'bars' for bar-work if you've no experience, the chances of you getting it are low. Instead go for quiet pubs. Bar-work pays minimum as well, tips won't get you far but within reason you can get as many hours as you want, especially if you take the 'dull' shifts that noone wants (Sunday afternoons, day-time mid-week).

Other option would be kitchen porter, most restaurants want people for menial kitchen duties and you can end up getting paid a surprising amount after a couple of months.

Bane 18 Apr 2007 22:22

Go to a job center and try to get benefits while trying to use the place to search for jobs. Unfortunately it may take some weeks to get the seekers allowance but in the meantime there are a lot of simple jobs that you can find to get you by for sometime.

If you're chatty or can blag an interview go work for some telemarketing firm.

Yahwe 18 Apr 2007 23:15

if only you were pretty :(

Blastoderm 19 Apr 2007 09:45

Just be a male prostitute.

Happy days.