Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Planetarion Banner (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=197947)

zPeti 16 Jun 2009 13:03

Planetarion Banner

Hi,

Here is the banner that we've come up so far for advertising PA next round.

Any opinions are much appreciated:
http://apexwebgaming.com/planetarion/

Pete

Cochese 16 Jun 2009 13:31

Re: Planetarion Banner

Not bad.

voodoo 16 Jun 2009 13:42

change Obsessive to something more friendly?

and last part: "join us for 7 weeks of raw gaming" or whatnot?

overall i actually like it :)

Ronin 16 Jun 2009 14:07

agree on voodoo.

cool!

Juice 16 Jun 2009 14:07

It looks ok but i must agree with voodoo, please change Obsessive, it makes us look like sad loney gits without a life.

[DW]Entropy 16 Jun 2009 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juice (Post 3177540)
It looks ok but i must agree with voodoo, please change Obsessive, it makes us look like sad loney gits without a life.

oh and the "7 weeks" part doesn't?

M0RPH3US 16 Jun 2009 14:19

i like it

[FC]Imperial 16 Jun 2009 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy (Post 3177542)
oh and the "7 weeks" part doesn't?

yet..it's all true.. now other than saying 'if you're a sad, lonely and old git (like us) this game is perfect for you' what do you propose?

While i agree with voodoo and juice, I wouldn' change the word obsessive,i'd change the entire sentence it is use on.

Let's think about what we are trying to say about the game. 'only the obsessive will survive' - I don't play obsessively, yet usually I like to think I survive the round.

If you make it sound too difficult to survive the round (oor get any result) then you won't attract many new players..instead you will get a few mathgeeks who see the challenge in beating the stats.

Should talk about the key points that make Planetarion worth playing. Like 'Stratergy' 'Community' 'Sci-Fi' 'War' 'Controlling a civilisation'

Getting back to the sentence.. perhaps something like 'Strategic supremercy will define the universe'

Also, like Entropy mentioned, I don't like the 7weeks part at the end.. it may shy away those mildly interested in the game. I feel they can find that out later or by reading the portal.

I wouldn't even say join us, sounds like we are desperate for new players. So maybe instead something like 'Prepare your armada, expect war!'

So you could end up with a script like...

'The game the defiend all space games'
'Is back for another round'
'Strategic supremercy will define the universe'
Planetarion
'Prepare your armada, expect war!'

I think this would be more approachable and attract more interest - Not everyone connected to the internet with an interest in the sci-fi genre is an obsessive geek with nothing to do but dominate the universe :p

Hope this is of use, sorry for being long winded, but trying to be constructive with my comments.

ellonweb 16 Jun 2009 14:46

A step in the right direction!

[DW]Entropy 16 Jun 2009 14:50

I think "survival" should be in there, Imp u mentioned you're not obsessive but "survive the round". how about:

'The game the defined all space games'
'Is back for another round'
'Strategic supremacy will define the universe'
Planetarion
'Fight to survive!'

voodoo 16 Jun 2009 14:59

not overdoing is something we want to keep in mind as well.

keep it simple and appealing is what we are looking for i think

Kargool 16 Jun 2009 16:14

Obsessive needs to change to something a tad bit more friendly. other than that, cool.

Banned 16 Jun 2009 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by zPeti (Post 3177531)
Hi,

Here is the banner that we've come up so far for advertising PA next round.

Any opinions are much appreciated:

Pete

Capitalizing 'The Obsessive' looks unprofessional. Other than that it's all right. Banners are pretty 2001, much like PA :up:

SpaceMonkey 16 Jun 2009 20:15

This is terrible, I don't know how anyone can like it. The font on the Planetarion logo is shockingly bad and the perspective on the space station(?) is all wrong. All in all it looks like the sort of thing I was knocking together in Deluxe Paint all those years ago.

Am I looking at the same thing as everyone else?

Banned 16 Jun 2009 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey (Post 3177560)
This is terrible, I don't know how anyone can like it. The font on the Planetarion logo is shockingly bad and the perspective on the space station(?) is all wrong. All in all it looks like the sort of thing I was knocking together in Deluxe Paint all those years ago.

Am I looking at the same thing as everyone else?

Oi, over here, this one hasn't had his expectations beaten into the ground yet. Everyone get him!

vuLgAr 16 Jun 2009 20:29

Don't like it either.

Quote:

The game that defined all space games is back for another round?
Makes it sound like Planetarion's been away even though it's been going quite strong for years.

Quote:

Join us now for seven weeks
Just seven weeks? what about all the time that goes into the preparation of the round, the reading through stats finding an alliance/BP etc. Not to mention the round after.

Capitalizing 'The Obsessive' looks unprofessional i agree but is obsessive even a selling point of the game?
Also the gfx on this are typical of those which had everyone up in arms about the round 31 skin, fugly to say the least.

other than that the thought is in the right place :)

lokken 16 Jun 2009 20:41

How about focussing on the good points of planetarion?

- politics
- strategy
- alliances fighting for universal supremacy
- the fact that it's on for 7 weeks, no breaks, one winner.
- the fact that you can play it anywhere - at home and on your mobile.

Really the point of planetarion is that it's a game that's on all the time and about how you get to the finish and that you've got to work with others to get anywhere. How about giving people reasons to play instead of just saying its a 'space game'.

Reese 16 Jun 2009 21:17

I don't like the "obsessive" part. Also "join us for 7 weeks" seems like its an incomplete thought, imo it should be 7 weeks of something...

MrLobster 16 Jun 2009 21:18

It needs moer bling -> http://eve-files.com/dl/199066

Safe to click, or i'll eat my hat

WreCkeRer 16 Jun 2009 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken (Post 3177568)
- the fact that it's on for 7 weeks, no breaks, one winner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellonweb

i agree with both of these.

gd work zPeti..cheers :)

(its not the best banner..but its a start)

NOV 16 Jun 2009 21:54

Only see a black bar :(

MrLobster 16 Jun 2009 22:44

PA BANNER

EDIT: Had to relocate file as the quick usage actually got the file deleted from the first host...

Rio 16 Jun 2009 23:08

Pete, i think you should just hire Lobster :/ he seems to know his stuff!

Considence 16 Jun 2009 23:25

'Chose your allies for the war ahead' Sounds cooler than join us for 7 weeks :( encourages people to look for an alliance too

MrLobster 16 Jun 2009 23:39

Uploaded to new host...

PA BANNER

ellonweb 16 Jun 2009 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellonweb (Post 3177545)

To elaborate, this is a good start, certainly better than nothing. If you take on and react to your customers' constructive criticism (some excellent points above) as well as you did in the development of the new skin, then we might get something awesome enough to sell this giant chunk of poop to new players!

Tomkat 16 Jun 2009 23:48

I like "the game that defined all space games". Nice.

I like the little spaceships!

I'm not keen on capitalising "The Obsessive".

Perhaps "Only those with dedication will survive" instead? Or "Only those with perseverance will survive"?

MrLobster 17 Jun 2009 00:18

PABanner Version 10

Summary:

"Supremercy will shape the universe"
"Choose your allies... Face your enemies..."
"The game that defined all space games..."
"Planetarion: The Massively Multiplayer Online Game"

All lasting 10 seconds, and about 2 megs in size (10 fps).

VenoX 17 Jun 2009 00:29

When I opened your last link Lobster it had an advert for Tribal Wars and "play now for free", could be a decent point to make when advertising.. just a thought!

Cochese 17 Jun 2009 00:54

Lobster rocks!

MrLobster 17 Jun 2009 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by VenoX (Post 3177599)
When I opened your last link Lobster it had an advert for Tribal Wars and "play now for free", could be a decent point to make when advertising.. just a thought!

Yep I noticed that too, so i sort of included it in the banner.

PABanner v11

Now i'm off to bed...

Mistwraith 17 Jun 2009 02:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLobster (Post 3177598)
PABanner Version 10

Summary:

"Supremercy will shape the universe"
"Choose your allies... Face your enemies..."
"The game that defined all space games..."
"Planetarion: The Massively Multiplayer Online Game"

All lasting 10 seconds, and about 2 megs in size (10 fps).

congratulations for graduating from the Appocomaster school of spelling !
Its spelled supremacy :P

cknight725 17 Jun 2009 05:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juice (Post 3177540)

Yes, I much prefer "insomniacs" ...

[FC]Imperial 17 Jun 2009 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLobster (Post 3177602)
Yep I noticed that too, so i sort of included it in the banner.

PABanner v11

Now i'm off to bed...

Well done, I like all your banners, they wa you put the 'play for free' is subtle but noticable which in my opinion is really good..

Ave 17 Jun 2009 09:37

The game that defined all spacegames should certainly be the first sentence, it does get the readers/viewers attention.

Also prepare your aramada sounded so much cooler than choose your allies...

The game that defined all space games
The endless need for growth to race your enemies
Strategic supremacy, Political wisdom
Choose your standing to face the waves
Can u survive the battlefront of...
Planetarion
'Fight to win!'

something like this :)

[DW]Entropy 17 Jun 2009 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistwraith (Post 3177603)
congratulations for graduating from the Appocomaster school of spelling !
Its spelled supremacy :P

thank god you mentioned it..every time i clicked each link on the way down this thread my eye twitched when i saw that spelling.

[FC]Imperial 17 Jun 2009 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy (Post 3177630)
thank god you mentioned it..every time i clicked each link on the way down this thread my eye twitched when i saw that spelling.

In all respect to lobster.. he likely copied my iliterate post - but thanks for the English lesson :)

Tomkat 17 Jun 2009 12:55

Super...mercy!

world 17 Jun 2009 13:50

"the massively multiplayer online game"
doesn't sound right, pretty sure massively multiplayer doesn't work, try "the legendary spacegame" something like that

[DW]Entropy 17 Jun 2009 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by world (Post 3177643)
pretty sure massively multiplayer doesn't work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMORPG

just read it before making absurd statements

Gabriel 17 Jun 2009 14:15

Pete, I don't know whether you paid for your banner or not, but I definitely think you should consider Lobster's contribution.

[DW]Entropy 17 Jun 2009 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel (Post 3177646)
Pete, I don't know whether you paid for your banner or not, but I definitely think you should consider Lobster's contribution.

Or at least enquire as to why someone can knock one together in their spare time and it still be better than one your staff or someone you paid produced.

MrLobster 17 Jun 2009 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by [FC]Imperial (Post 3177631)
In all respect to lobster.. he likely copied my iliterate post - but thanks for the English lesson :)

Indeed i did. At 2 in the morning, my eyes were not proof reading :P

PABanner v12

zPeti 17 Jun 2009 15:05

I've got a revised version in the same place

Apart from the ending where planetarion is really in your face, I don't think MrLobsters banner would work as advertising.

First off, I want people seeing it to know what they're clicking on before clicking (so they will convert better).
I want them to know that this is a serious game, but I have changed obsessive now.

I don't think the actual text used on MrLobster's really mean anything, it might to existing players but not anyone looking at the ad.

So... what do you think of this one? I might still change the Logo to be similar to the ending of MrLobster's banner.

Also, if MrLobster agrees I will try and split test the two banners, see which works better.

world 17 Jun 2009 15:33

you're right entropy, thats probably why it sounded strange to me, so used to having the RPG bit in it, it sounds weird without it.

As for the banner, the spaceships are a bad idea, the graphics look cheap, wording is off as well, definately needs work, ok as a beta though. Prefer the static picture on lobsters, think the paid one looks to busy, simple is always best.

Tommy 17 Jun 2009 16:41

I'm getting the feeling you need to be somewhere in the middle. MrLobster's is flashy but doesn't say too much, and yours says what you want it to but looks almost cartoonish. The round, bold, san-serif font in particular looks out of place, especially when serif fonts are considerably better at conveying gravitas. There's a lot that can be done with a simple flash banner, so it's worth seeing if you can get some better animation in there too. While Lobster's contribution isn't perfect, he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition.

Kal 17 Jun 2009 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by zPeti (Post 3177650)
I've got a revised version in the same place

Apart from the ending where planetarion is really in your face, I don't think MrLobsters banner would work as advertising.

First off, I want people seeing it to know what they're clicking on before clicking (so they will convert better).
I want them to know that this is a serious game, but I have changed obsessive now.

I don't think the actual text used on MrLobster's really mean anything, it might to existing players but not anyone looking at the ad.

So... what do you think of this one? I might still change the Logo to be similar to the ending of MrLobster's banner.

Also, if MrLobster agrees I will try and split test the two banners, see which works better.

When I compare the two, I prefer MrLobster's form an aesthetic point of view. I think it looks more professional (more like the sort of banner I;ve seen for other games).

I find your banner to visually distracting - text in multiple locations, lots of moving bits.

I have no idea which version would be more sucessful as an advert though.

Tomkat 17 Jun 2009 18:24

I prefer Pete's now that he's updated and changed some of the wording.

Lobster's is good (especially the PLANETARION bit at the end) but there's lots of words and no substance. The game could be about anything.

Ave 17 Jun 2009 18:47

I like the switching pa address and play for free in the new version, it should stay definately.

How ever as pzeti said, something to get the readers attention, like the games name itselfs or the text I mentioned above should apear straight from start. So the rest of the advert gets viewed aswell and not just ignored.

Ave 17 Jun 2009 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal (Post 3177664)
When I compare the two, I prefer MrLobster's form an aesthetic point of view. I think it looks more professional (more like the sort of banner I;ve seen for other games).

I find your banner to visually distracting - text in multiple locations, lots of moving bits.

I have no idea which version would be more sucessful as an advert though.

The game that defined all space games needs to be more flashy and have some backround in it. Now it gets ignored before the blue planet etc comes in. The ending PA logo is poor, otherwise I like your version very much, it says more than the lobsters one.

How ever they are both good imo. The next question is to find places to put them on :)